I didn't realize the Android Player will be coming to the os 7 devices also. Pretty Cool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    since when?
    09-28-11 07:11 PM
    I don't see the problem here.
    I only want the Android Apps on PB for quick access to silly games.
    For work related apps I would prefer native QNX apps.
    This pretty much sums up how I feel about it too.

And I don't think it is as bad as it sounds. In app purchases for example. I'm sure the ported over android apps CAN have in app purchases, it just won't be through google. Aren't there some playbook apps now that allow in app purchases???? I think this just means the developer will need to do a little more work to convert some functionality from google to BB .... could be wrong. just speculating.

If 2.0 has the native email, calendar ... hopefully netflix ... plus some android apps like square, youversion, unblock me ..I'll be happy
    09-28-11 10:38 PM
    I didn't realize the Android Player will be coming to the os 7 devices also. Pretty Cool.

It's not...
    09-29-11 02:53 AM
    right, so im probably not the only 1 who cant really make sense of this,i love the functionality if the PB and the bridge capabilities however the games on appworld suck ! i was hoping android capability would bring angry birds etc. what percentage of apps will be available, cause that to me seems a load of restrictions that have been placed on the player
    09-29-11 03:50 AM
    Re read it, it says Bb os...

Speaking at DroidCon, as part of the Eastern European Mobile Monday Developer Summit in Romania, RIM engineers explained that whilst the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps will support a number of Android apps on the BlackBerry OS and future QNX platform, many key features will be missing."

Accidental leak? Reads that way.

Last edited by Rgainsmi; 09-29-11 at 04:23 AM.
    09-29-11 04:20 AM
    i think they were reffering to tablet OS? as i am aware, the app player is built in conjuction with QNX so therefore has 0 compatability with OS7
    09-29-11 04:26 AM
    i think they were reffering to tablet OS? as i am aware, the app player is built in conjuction with QNX so therefore has 0 compatability with OS7
    Maybe. Just speculating. They seem to be plugging "QNX" as the Tablet OS by all recent website / marketing spottings. BlackBerry OS has always been referred to as the phone OS. Interesting...

09-29-11 04:35 AM
    Update

Thinq was not quoted correctly in the op.

It's a blow for those who were hoping for big things: while RIM's creation will allow a subset of Android apps to run on the PlayBook and future QNX-based devices, it's a far cry from the total compatibility for which many had been hoping.

Read more: RIM releases list of Android-on-PlayBook no-nos | thinq_

09-29-11 04:59 AM
    So I guess this means no google maps and no skype since maps uses ndk and skype uses voip?

09-29-11 05:04 AM
    I'm sure Skype is coming, they had the Skype icon advertised when pushing the PlayBook...

Rim wouldn't mislead us...

;-)

09-29-11 05:09 AM
    Personally i dont see this as a problem, but i can see others taking exception to it. I think it has more to do with the user and his or her expectations. All those things listed that wont be available, i am not interested in. I dont even know what a couple of them are, so i cant miss them anyway.

Like some others, i just want some games and a few apps. i feel it will be a major selling point to the device... and my gut instinct is that most of those features that will be missing will matter only to people that will not be getting a qnx device anyhow.
    09-29-11 05:16 AM
    http://www.blackberrycool.com/wp-con...d_playbook.jpg

Skype would be good.

09-29-11 05:22 AM
    Google Navigation and Kindle worked with the leaked Android Player.

I would bet that someone will come up with a way to sideload some of the Apps that RIM is not licensed to offer.

This does not mean that everything will work but many things probably will.
    09-29-11 06:06 AM
    Wise of Rim to manage expectations.

Old Rim = Over promise and under deliver.
    '2.0' Rim = Under promise and over deliver.

One can only hope!

09-29-11 06:19 AM
    The Playbook Project Manager on the Beta Zone says this about a Kindle App:

"I don't have information about a Kindle app for PlayBook. They do have one for Android though...yes? Just food for thought

John"
    09-29-11 08:13 AM
    Personally i dont see this as a problem, but i can see others taking exception to it. I think it has more to do with the user and his or her expectations. All those things listed that wont be available, i am not interested in. I dont even know what a couple of them are, so i cant miss them anyway.

Like some others, i just want some games and a few apps. i feel it will be a major selling point to the device... and my gut instinct is that most of those features that will be missing will matter only to people that will not be getting a qnx device anyhow.
    Being locked out of google maps might be something that affects us.
    09-29-11 09:41 AM
    This doesn't bother me much. You can't expect it to be like an android tablet

09-29-11 10:28 AM
    Exactly what can the PLAY book do? and what are these "business apps" that everyone is referring to? I have yet to see one good example of a playbook being used in an enterprise environment, no BES, no VPN, no cellular data, no EMAIL, no apps, no developer support, BUT it plays Farmville and is a bigger screen for your BB phone,
    LOL
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    09-29-11 12:37 PM
    Does it mean that Kindle won't work since you can purchase books while in the app and 'app-billing' will not work?
    kindle app worked fine in the leaked android player, so other than purchases i wouldn't see it not happening.
    09-29-11 04:05 PM
    I have always had a bad feeling about the android player in the 1rst place. I just dont like the idea of running a emulator which is what this sounds like, I want native apps & besides, im afraid that with the player then we may never see a lot of really good native apps. Im like everyone else, I aam anxious to see how it works but I dont like the sound of it so far, will have to wait & see.
    09-29-11 11:25 PM
    It's NOT an emulator. RIM took the source code from Google and port the Dalvik engine from Linux to QNX. It is the same as Amazon Fire or the Nook as they are "forks" and are trying to cut Google out of the money stream --- they will not run Android live wallpaper, they will not run apps that requires Google Maps...
    Last edited by samab; 09-29-11 at 11:54 PM.
    southlander likes this.
    09-29-11 11:42 PM
    If the Android App Player can run 80% of the apps on Android Market, then it should be a success. As Balsillie mentioned during the conference call, it's about getting "apps tonnage" for the Playbook. Now if NDK had launched with initial release of the Playbook, then decent apps would be arriving now. But this is RIM, the strategy is convoluted.

If everyone is looking for 100% compatibility with Android Market apps, then get an Android Tablet like Galaxy or Transformer.
    09-30-11 04:18 AM
    I don't understand. To me Andro�d compliance is nothing more than the "there's an app 4 that" marketing thing. I see this as a "gadget" that will promote the PB (therefore, I think this is good, we need mass market to encourage developers appropriation and word spreading "it's so easy"), certainly not as a device-ehancement-capable thing.
    I think andro�d is great, but why emulate (ok,ok, once again, we talk current language) it if you plan to use massively andro�d apps ? Just buy a native andro�d tablet !!!

What is going to be the future (BTW: after having been the roots of computing) of mobile devices ? Shouldn't I even say "what is re-born from the emergence of mobile device and all-purpose-connected electronics goods" ?
    You named it, it's the cloud thing.
    On that remote-everything-everywhere side, who will get uncontested robustness and security deviceS recognition? hum ... got a small idea !
    Beside, there are main solutions ... and this one will do no more than the perfect thing I (yes, me !) need : use the power of my workstation when I'm away from home/office. RIM Debuts Citrix Receiver For PlayBook - Software - Enterprise Applications - Informationweek
    EDIT: I was rushing to get this tech preview ... but only 2 countries can't ... and France is one of them.

BUT, what I see here if far greater than my expectations ... remoted and multitasked W7 software ... just ... *wow* !

The wideness of tools developers can use to develop PB applications (including such affordable languages for basic tasks as HTML5, CSS and Javascript) will make this a must-do for anyone that want quick and great incomes or productivity. Not for a free or 0.99 app for mass customers, but for solid enterprise business, whether they choose to RAD proprietary apps or to rely to standard&approved third parties ones.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-30-11 at 06:48 AM.
    09-30-11 05:49 AM
    kindle app worked fine in the leaked android player, so other than purchases i wouldn't see it not happening.
    I don't think it's a question of it working or not. It's whether or not RIM will block any apps with in-app billing, for whatever reasons. I don't interpret the "limitations" as necessarily being only about what can be made to work.
    09-30-11 07:05 AM
    I don't think it's a question of it working or not. It's whether or not RIM will block any apps with in-app billing, for whatever reasons. I don't interpret the "limitations" as necessarily being only about what can be made to work.
    That's why I asked the initial question. I would guess if the app has "in-app billing" it will be rejected - rim decides what goes in their appworld or their app-android-world. Now maybe the app could be compiled without billing. Or maybe Hatax will be able to give us back the access to android that was there during the beta. But lots of IFs. Hmm. Lots of IFs - how unusual for rim at this stage of the pb.
    09-30-11 09:42 AM
102 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD