Does it mean that Kindle won't work since you can purchase books while in the app and 'app-billing' will not work?
    09-28-11 09:58 AM
    Does it mean that Kindle won't work since you can purchase books while in the app and 'app-billing' will not work?
    That's how I'm interpreting it as well. I still hope - probably false hope now - that Kindle will release a Native version for the Playbook. But honestly, that is looking like less and less of a possibility these days.
    09-28-11 10:07 AM
    That's how I'm interpreting it as well. I still hope - probably false hope now - that Kindle will release a Native version for the Playbook. But honestly, that is looking like less and less of a possibility these days.
    I honestly don't understand kindle, netflix etc. ignoring more sales unless it is a complete utter nightmare to write or port a simple app to bb or QNX. What are they afraid of? Doesn't matter to me as I don't use that stuff but I am but 1 person and there are plenty that would.
    09-28-11 11:17 AM
    I honestly don't understand kindle, netflix etc. ignoring more sales unless it is a complete utter nightmare to write or port a simple app to bb or QNX. What are they afraid of? Doesn't matter to me as I don't use that stuff but I am but 1 person and there are plenty that would.
    I think it boils down to ROI.

As unpalatable as it sounds, it simply seems that it is not worth their time. Yes, I know there are articles floating around saying that BBOS developers make the most money, but... well...
    09-28-11 11:24 AM
    with all these restrictions, the money and time spent on developing this player could just have been splurged on android developers for them to develop for the pb.
    09-28-11 11:24 AM
    Its all very well having these nice features like Android player but unless you have a need for it then there is no benefit to you.

I have no need for Android player, although it will be nice to tinker with for a short while. I am in more need, and can see the benefit of, the other features upcoming in OS2.0 like native email etc.

We need developers to develop for the native QNX. Then we will see better quality apps, not some android knock off.
    09-28-11 11:42 AM
    I guess that they do not want to share "rental/sales" proceeds with Rim.
    09-28-11 11:50 AM
    I don't believe your comment is accurate. The article is dated September 28, 2011 and purports to quote RIM engineers at the DroidCon in Romania on "Monday". I just checked and the Droidcon conference in Romania is Sept 26 (Monday) to Sept 28, 2011.
    This sounds like a recent amplification of the original pre-launch statement-- and it is clearly presented as such in the article.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is the news that were used to build the article on DroidCon, judge by yourselves.

Official: BlackBerry Playbook Will Support Android Apps - The Next Web
    09-28-11 12:07 PM
    Funny I think a few of us said don't get your hopes up with the Player. Then the leak came out and thread after thread about andorid apps.

Now it looks like a lot of excuse making going on. Well I didn't need it anyway type stuff.

I doubt any good native apps will be out for the PB until well after the phones are on the market and hope that they scale to the PB. Still sticking with my reason that the QNX phones should have came out first. Phone market is a little different from Tablets and then you have carriers subsidizing phones people are quicker to spend a $200 on a phone than $500 on a tablet. If the phone came out and RIM had given the developers the NDK earlier the PB would probably stand a better rating than what it's getting at the moment.

Oh and if anyone wants to order a PB without doing in MIR Daily Deals, 1 Sale A Day has them on sale today for $299
    Last edited by Daps; 09-28-11 at 12:44 PM.
    BSFA2008 and purijagmohan like this.
    09-28-11 12:41 PM
    The Android player is just a bridge to get Android developers making apps for QNX. I think it's genius what RIM did here. All of the things that won't run on the PB through the player are not hardware but software limited,this is incentive to design for QNX.
    09-28-11 12:52 PM
    The Android player is just a bridge to get Android developers making apps for QNX. I think it's genius what RIM did here. All of the things that won't run on the PB through the player are not hardware but software limited,this is incentive to design for QNX.
    How is that incentive again? I am lost.
    09-28-11 12:55 PM
    Because the "NO's" are the extra bits beyond the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) compatibility.

RIM can call it the "Android Player" (and use Google's Android trademark) because it pass AOSP compatibility testing. If you don't pass the compatibility testing suite, then you have to call it something else.

Go and take a look at their compatibility testing document:

http://static.googleusercontent.com/...-2.3.3-cdd.pdf

The base compatibility does NOT need to have access to NDK.

All the Google services (google maps, android markets, in-app purchase) are under different licensing deals.
    timmsy, sf49ers and southlander like this.
    09-28-11 12:58 PM

Yeah, that is pretty twisted logic. Wouldn't there have to be actual people with money to spend owning QNX devices for there to be an incentive? Lots of people here in southern California, I've never seen anyone but myself with a Playbook.
    09-28-11 12:59 PM
    Yeah, I don't see a problem here either. These are restrictions any realistic persin expected to see.

Some elements of Android (the ones listed as not being supported on the Playbook) are not open source.

09-28-11 01:10 PM
    I thought that the sandbox prevented this?
    sorry mate i dont know if you meant something else? sandbox is the name for googles controversial page ranking system that has sparked hearings into how they can set rankings on their own and partner pages to always come top on searches

well that and people who have lined their 'buddies' pockets in silver
    09-28-11 01:25 PM
    sorry mate i dont know if you meant something else? sandbox is the name for googles controversial page ranking system that has sparked hearings into how they can set rankings on their own and partner pages to always come top on searches

well that and people who have lined their 'buddies' pockets in silver
    he is referring to sandboxing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(computer_security)
    timmsy likes this.
    09-28-11 01:40 PM
    Wait & see .
    09-28-11 02:08 PM
    Wait & see .
    I think this is most of the problem. People are pretty much tired of "waiting and seeing". That is my perception, anyways.
    09-28-11 02:53 PM
    No in-app billing means the Android Kindle app won't make it, right? So it's back to waiting for a native Kindle app.
    09-28-11 03:02 PM
    No Google Maps = no PB purchase for me. Wonder if Google Earth can still be run.
    trsbbs likes this.
    09-28-11 03:04 PM
    No in-app billing means the Android Kindle app won't make it, right? So it's back to waiting for a native Kindle app.
    That's what I conjectured. And I think the chance for a kindle app in native anything for the pb is about nil, zip, nada, fuhgetaboutit!
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-28-11 04:07 PM
    I don't think so. I think that Amazon wants to sell on every platform. At the same time, Amazon does not want to pay 30% or whatever to RIM for the privilege of doing it.
    09-28-11 04:24 PM
    That's what I conjectured. And I think the chance for a kindle app in native anything for the pb is about nil, zip, nada, fuhgetaboutit!
    Amazon can port the ios kindle app --- which is written in c --- to the Playbook.
    09-28-11 04:24 PM
    big companies don't give a cr4p about us playbook adopters, if you want apps, get the ipad2 samsung galaxy or a win8 tablet, i think that's what i'll do to enjoy a tablet in 2011.
    09-28-11 04:34 PM
    I didn't realize the Android Player will be coming to the os 7 devices also. Pretty Cool.

09-28-11 04:38 PM
102 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD