RIM reveals what Android features the PlayBook won�t support. It�s not pretty.

Article follows:

Having announced official support for Android applications before it released its PlayBook tablet, RIM has started to detail the features that will be available when its compatibility layer goes live. If you were hoping for full-featured Android apps and services, think again.

Speaking at DroidCon, as part of the Eastern European Mobile Monday Developer Summit in Romania, RIM engineers explained that whilst the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps will support a number of Android apps on the BlackBerry OS and future QNX platform, many key features will be missing.

Thinq reports the following features won�t be supported:

Android�s famed battery-sucking Live Wallpaper, SIP and SIP VoIP, anything built using the Native Development Kit, apps containing only App Widgets, and apps containing more than one activity tied to the Launcher.

In addition, any packages which rely on Google Maps, in-app billing services, Android�s text-to-speech engine, or the cloud-to-device messaging system will all be rendered unusable under the company�s runtime system.

Whilst it can�t be expected that RIM would be able to fully support Android�s suite of features and development kits, the announcement that so many of them won�t make the jump across to the PlayBook will surely frustrate new and existing PlayBook owners who waited on the introduction Android apps to breathe new life into their tablet devices.

----
    So, no multitasking of Android apps. No Google maps or navigation. No Google Voice.
    parabola likes this.
    09-28-11 07:14 AM
    I don't see the problem here.
    I only want the Android Apps on PB for quick access to silly games.
    For work related apps I would prefer native QNX apps.
    09-28-11 07:21 AM
    I am one of those waiting for the new update for the playbook before I purchase for my business. Without fully understanding the implications of the OP there doesn't look like anything there which would affect my decision to buy, in fact in a way the reverse is true for me as it looks like security issues come into effect here and may be the base for concern, the playbook is I think the only secure tablet thus far and given that it connects to a BlackBerry again a security issue I feel pleased about the responsible nature of these conditions. For a long time RIM has been critised for the lack of apps so it would have been tempting to just open up to the full andriod portfolio. I say Great.
    09-28-11 07:35 AM
    I am one of those waiting for the new update for the playbook before I purchase for my business. Without fully understanding the implications of the OP there doesn't look like anything there which would affect my decision to buy, in fact in a way the reverse is true for me as it looks like security issues come into effect here and may be the base for concern, the playbook is I think the only secure tablet thus far and given that it connects to a BlackBerry again a security issue I feel pleased about the responsible nature of these conditions. For a long time RIM has been critised for the lack of apps so it would have been tempting to just open up to the full andriod portfolio. I say Great.
    Not to pick, but I think the lack of full compatibility is not an issue of not wanting to, but not being able to... but I could be wrong.

The widget thingie.... does that mean no apps that have widgets will work, or does it mean that the apps would work but accompanying widgets won't work?
    09-28-11 07:46 AM
    i dont see the issue here really as all the apps that are bein pulled are apps that use unneccesary processing power and also apps that use android own network and runtime environment and unsecure google application support (google is public so i dont want it to constantly be connecting to my playbook and downloading information for the apps)

if i wanted an android player/marketplace/apps so bad, i would of bought an android tablet and an HTC, but i didnt i bought a Blackberry Playbook, key word being Blackberry.

cant wait to see what it brings, but not itching for it...i havent even finished going through and downloading and reviewing every free app on the BB App World yet lol
    09-28-11 07:52 AM
    i dont see the issue here really as all the apps that are bein pulled are apps that use unneccesary processing power and also apps that use android own network and runtime environment and unsecure google application support (google is public so i dont want it to constantly be connecting to my playbook and downloading information for the apps)

if i wanted an android player/marketplace/apps so bad, i would of bought an android tablet and an HTC, but i didnt i bought a Blackberry Playbook, key word being Blackberry.

cant wait to see what it brings, but not itching for it...i havent even finished going through and downloading and reviewing every free app on the BB App World yet lol
    I thought that the sandbox prevented this?
    09-28-11 07:56 AM
    It makes sense why those things would not be included. Main reason is that this is QNX software, not Android. It's not built to support widgets, it supports full multi-tasking so there really isn't a need for a widget when I can see what other windows are running and just tap them to bring them up.

The things that are listed are all native Android features, not QNX/Playbook features. Like one poster said, if I wanted Android, I would have bought an Android tablet. I like the idea of being able to use some of the apps, but I don't want to be using a battery draining OS or battery draining features.
    Jince, sf49ers, timmsy and 7 others like this.
    09-28-11 08:01 AM
    No "Android’s famed battery-suckin" apps .. or "in-app billing services"

That sounds 'PRETTY' good to me.

No battery drain and the guys can find other ways to get MY money.
    Last edited by mandony; 09-28-11 at 08:06 AM.
    09-28-11 08:02 AM
    I don't care about live wallpapers, widgets, launchers, etc. I don't want my PlayBook to look like or pretend to be Android, I just want access to apps that otherwise aren't available to us.

Lack of SIP, in-app billing, and cloud/device messaging aren't surprising IMO. I don't think anybody realistically expected them.

No navigation is a little disappointing, but I'm still holding out for a native PB navigation app.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-28-11 08:05 AM
    Hmmm... honestly, don't need all the android apps. There will be many that do work and if there is one that is awesome that will be good but not at the expense of security. I just picked up another Playbook at Staples yesterday and the android player, though a nice to have, is not a major consideration.
    My wife would love to see a Netflix app, and many people will enjoy the Kindle app. Honestly , I love the full web, video chat, kobo books and Scrapbook. Also, there are more BB apps on the way from various vendors but don't forget TAT. BB owns them and they did not buy them for the Scrapbook app. I think BB users are going to be happy.

Lastly, just to vent a bit. The way Netflix just screwed its clients by just about charging 2x for 1x service, if the BB Movies app is any good (and it will have 10k titles) I'm going to get the wife to drop Netflix.

I believe the list of apps that will be supported is over 100k so not a bad deal for us BB users. And unlike apple we won't have to purchase anything new. RIM will just give us the OT update. Easy, better and still secure.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 09-28-11 at 08:17 AM.
    09-28-11 08:08 AM
    Hey Therapyreject174,

I went to the TAT website and saw their mapping app demo. So, I hope you are right because that would be amazing!
    If RIM gives us BB Movies and a map/navigation app that looks like this I'll be pretty happy.
    09-28-11 08:10 AM
    These limitations are not a big deal. How could you expect to have widgets and live wallpaper on a different OS?

I bet in-app billing would work but is blocked by RIM. No loss there though.

Does anyone know what android apps were built in the Android NDK?

I will bet that some of these things can be made to run with Hacks. Google Navigation worked with the leaked player for example.
    Last edited by lawguyman; 09-28-11 at 08:34 AM.
    09-28-11 08:23 AM
    I hope 3D game performance would be acceptable. Remember LimeTrip's Angry Bird port to PB? If they ran at that speed, I won't bother to play android games anymore. That game runs so smooth on a 500mhz HTC.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-28-11 08:36 AM
    These limitations are not a big deal. How could you expect to have widgets and live wallpaper on a different OS?

I bet in-app billing would work but is blocked by RIM. No loss there though.

Does anyone know what android apps were built in the Android NDK?

I will bet that some of these things can be made to run with Hacks. Google Navigation worked with the leaked player for example.
    "and apps containing more than one activity tied to the Launcher."

Multi-tasking is suddenly not a big deal anymore?
    09-28-11 08:54 AM
    This has all been known from day one. I've discussed it here many times in past months. It shouldn't come as a surprise to many.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dreadlocks10 likes this.
    09-28-11 08:55 AM
    "and apps containing more than one activity tied to the Launcher."

Multi-tasking is suddenly not a big deal anymore?
    Give me an example of an App that would need this. I can't think of any that I would care about.
    09-28-11 08:59 AM
    I don't care about live wallpapers, widgets, launchers, etc. I don't want my PlayBook to look like or pretend to be Android, I just want access to apps that otherwise aren't available to us.

Lack of SIP, in-app billing, and cloud/device messaging aren't surprising IMO. I don't think anybody realistically expected them.

No navigation is a little disappointing, but I'm still holding out for a native PB navigation app.
    look for magellin (sp?) in app world. it's pretty good and will work tethered off the phone.
    therapyreject174 likes this.
    09-28-11 09:02 AM
    If you read carefully the origin of this post it is based on a statement issued before the PB launch on April! I would recommend to wait until OS update and forget about all this fuss, it is making mad all of us...
    sf49ers, nievz, howarmat and 1 others like this.
    09-28-11 09:06 AM
    If you read carefully the origin of this post it is based on a statement issued before the PB launch on April! I would recommend to wait until OS update and forget about all this fuss, it is making mad all of us...
    good catch...kinda need some newer info by now
    09-28-11 09:09 AM
    Ahhh... didn't catch that...
    09-28-11 09:10 AM
    way to go!! now bring on the ndk and native apps RIM!!!!
    09-28-11 09:11 AM
    I really don't care. If I wanted all those Android apps -- or any Android apps, for that matter -- I'd have bought an Android tablet.

09-28-11 09:13 AM
    If you read carefully the origin of this post it is based on a statement issued before the PB launch on April!
    I don't believe your comment is accurate. The article is dated September 28, 2011 and purports to quote RIM engineers at the DroidCon in Romania on "Monday". I just checked and the Droidcon conference in Romania is Sept 26 (Monday) to Sept 28, 2011.
    This sounds like a recent amplification of the original pre-launch statement-- and it is clearly presented as such in the article.

Last edited by AllanRosen; 09-28-11 at 09:43 AM.
    09-28-11 09:38 AM
    I had every android tablet on the market and now have and love the playbook. Plus my droidX serves the android purpose only until contract is up, might go with BB 9900 if it does or even possible to do netflix, who knows?
    09-28-11 09:42 AM
    I had every android tablet on the market and now have and love the playbook. Plus my droidX serves the android purpose only until contract is up, might go with BB 9900 if it does or even possible to do netflix, who knows?
    Every one? That's a LOT of tablets...
    09-28-11 09:45 AM
102 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD