I picked up a playbook a couple months ago. When I bought it I thought the whole apps argument was overblown and that there was plenty to keep me amused and productive. BEGINNING 1 SENTENCE RANT... Now that I have actually spent some time in the BB app store I realize that a large majority of the apps are garbage, unfinished, poorly written flotsam, and that the app argument is understated for the Playbook.... RANT OVER. So my question is whether anyone has heard or believes that RIM is holding back really good stuff for the BB10 launch or is this really all that's out there right now (I am making the assumption that all BB10 apps are currently available for the Playbook). I don't see a large influx of quality apps landing in the store. I know that RIM is working hard to recruit developers, I just don't see the results. Many of my current apps have been sideloaded android apps, which doesn't bode well for the Blackberry business model.
    10-29-12 11:29 AM
    I picked up a playbook a couple months ago. When I bought it I thought the whole apps argument was overblown and that there was plenty to keep me amused and productive. BEGINNING 1 SENTENCE RANT... Now that I have actually spent some time in the BB app store I realize that a large majority of the apps are garbage, unfinished, poorly written flotsam, and that the app argument is understated for the Playbook.... RANT OVER. So my question is whether anyone has heard or believes that RIM is holding back really good stuff for the BB10 launch or is this really all that's out there right now (I am making the assumption that all BB10 apps are currently available for the Playbook). I don't see a large influx of quality apps landing in the store. I know that RIM is working hard to recruit developers, I just don't see the results. Many of my current apps have been sideloaded android apps, which doesn't bode well for the Blackberry business model.
    Gameloft has promised to bring in 10 games when BB10 launches. I think even EA is holding back their stuff for BB10, They haven't launched any apps since PVZ. What kinda games do you like? I may be able to suggest some games for you
    10-29-12 11:40 AM
    First... my understanding is that BB10 will have a new redesigned app store independent of the current incarnation. So what actual BB10 apps that will be available is up for debate. a number of games and social media apps have been announced but I would think it is a bit too early to announce any "big" apps as it would dimminsh any buzz RIM might try to get going...
    Coffeecat likes this.
    10-29-12 11:44 AM
    Well the PlayBook keeps getting some good apps though mostly games from time to time.. I wouldn't say RIM is holding anything back..
    It is each developers personal choice whether to launch at BB10 or start off right from PlayBook presently.. If their apps are ready in the first place..
    And apps unlike games usually will use the systems UI libraries which is Cascades in BB10 and is not available in PlayBook at the moment unless they go through the trouble of bundling the libraries with their apps if compatibility with other system libs allows that is..
    10-29-12 11:53 AM
    I I realize that a large majority of the apps are garbage, unfinished, poorly written flotsam
    Downloaded all 30,000 or so apps did you?
    10-29-12 12:12 PM
    Downloaded all 30,000 or so apps did you?
    15,000 of which are Ebooks
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    10-29-12 12:33 PM
    Right now I'm more interested in productivity apps. In particular I'm looking for 2 apps, a good solid countdown app and a Scan document and translate app. The countdown app for project management would allow me to track time (past events and future) in multiple, configurable ways, send notifications (email ect.), and interact with common software (excel). I have looked at all the current apps under Business, Utility, Productivity ect. but nothing is robust enough for any kind of project management. I apologize for the IOS examples up front, but I need some basis of comparison. An example of this in IOS is an app called "countdown", made by IAM Web Services (IAM Web Services) which has a swirled clock, or Droste Clock as an icon. While it lacks some connectivity and software integration, its better than anything in the BB store to date. The scan and translate app would be able to scan a document in a foreign language (using the camera), run the document through optical character recognition (OCR), then translate that document and email the translation. An example from IOS is a program called "worlddictionary" by Penpower technology limited. It also allows real time translation, where you could hold your device up to a sign and get a translation of that sign. You can find a description on this page.. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/worl...mt=8&at=10l3Vy
    10-29-12 12:40 PM
    ... and 14,000 of them are note taking apps
    10-29-12 12:44 PM
    and 10,000 of them are stupid puzzles...
    10-29-12 12:51 PM
    Wait for BB10, BB10 will even make your playbook fly.
    10-29-12 12:57 PM
    First... my understanding is that BB10 will have a new redesigned app store independent of the current incarnation. So what actual BB10 apps that will be available is up for debate. a number of games and social media apps have been announced but I would think it is a bit too early to announce any "big" apps as it would dimminsh any buzz RIM might try to get going...
    Not quite right. BB10 REPLACES the current App World with an integrated app store that will also sell music and video. If the demo on the Dev Alphas is any indication, it will offer WAAAAAY better navigation.
    10-29-12 01:04 PM
    Right now I'm more interested in productivity apps. In particular I'm looking for 2 apps, a good solid countdown app and a Scan document and translate app. The countdown app for project management would allow me to track time (past events and future) in multiple, configurable ways, send notifications (email ect.), and interact with common software (excel). I have looked at all the current apps under Business, Utility, Productivity ect. but nothing is robust enough for any kind of project management. I apologize for the IOS examples up front, but I need some basis of comparison. An example of this in IOS is an app called "countdown", made by IAM Web Services (IAM Web Services) which has a swirled clock, or Droste Clock as an icon. While it lacks some connectivity and software integration, its better than anything in the BB store to date. The scan and translate app would be able to scan a document in a foreign language (using the camera), run the document through optical character recognition (OCR), then translate that document and email the translation. An example from IOS is a program called "worlddictionary" by Penpower technology limited. It also allows real time translation, where you could hold your device up to a sign and get a translation of that sign. You can find a description on this page.. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/worl...mt=8&at=10l3Vy
    I know that the developer for Giggity is working on a BB10 release; that might cover your project management base. And as far as the OCR thing goes, this looks like a pretty useful and common function at this point; I'd be surprised if someone doesn't come up with this in time for the BB10 launch.
    Coffeecat likes this.
    10-29-12 01:08 PM
    Is RIM holding back apps for BB10 launch?-img_00000261.jpg <<<<Doodle Jump for PlayBook? Were is it now?

Kind of, what's happening is apps are being built for BlackBerry10. The PlayBook of course can't get these apps until it gets BlackBerry10. I've also seen apps make it to my PlayBook appworld such as Doodle Jump only to disappear. Also there have been apps that said "not available for your device "
    10-29-12 01:44 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000261.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	124124 <<<<Doodle Jump for PlayBook? Were is it now?

Kind of, what's happening is apps are being built for BlackBerry10. The PlayBook of course can't get these apps until it gets BlackBerry10. I've also seen apps make it to my PlayBook appworld such as Doodle Jump only to disappear. Also there have been apps that said "not available for your device "
    It may have been renamed to "Scribbles", if we are talking about the same thing.
    10-29-12 03:05 PM
    I think, yes. Here is a link to a thread about a list of confirmed Apps:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...g-bb10-751324/

Anytime Magazine
    Bloomberg
    Box - http://crackberry.com/box-cloud-stor...-blackberry-10
    Cisco (Possibly VPN client?)
    Citrix (Possibly VM Managment?)
    CNN
    Dropbox
    eBay
    ESPN
    Facebook
    Financial Times
    FlightAware
    Foursquare
    iHeartRadio
    Instagram - http://crackberry.com/dont-believe-e...-blackberry-10
    Jetpack Joyride - By Halfbrick (Game)
    Kayak
    Kindle
    Kobo
    LinkedIn
    Nobex Radio
    PGA Tour Golf
    Poynt
    Scoremobile
    Shazam
    SkyDrive
    Slacker Radio
    Spotify
    The New York Times
    The Wall Street Journal
    The Weather Channel
    Top Gear
    Twitter
    USA Today
    WebEx
    Wikitude
    YouTube
    Zinio
    Some are out on OS2, some are out now but are ports, and some are not available for OS2 and for those that are out, I assume they will update it. For those that are ports I assume that they will make it native.
    10-30-12 11:36 AM