SO with all the push from RIM to get developers on QNX, it seems to me like they are not leading the charge. I like to try every app that RIM (as in developed by RIM) comes out with on my Bold. On the playbook, I looked around for RIM Apps, and found Blackberry News. No BB Maps, no BB Traffic, no BB Wallet, etc.

Shouldn't RIM be spending time developing awesome BB Exclusive apps for the QNX system, or are they fine with leaving development to third parties?
    ordigas likes this.
    03-05-12 12:24 PM
    Have not had my PB for long but often thought the same thing. I was HOPING that the are waiting until they can integrate it like the BBM expirience they are going for (two different PIN #'s for one user) and they are taking their time and doing it right. BBM and Password keeper are two I am looking forward to.
    03-05-12 12:32 PM
    I just hope RIM releases some more apps as well because I really enjoy their apps
    03-05-12 01:17 PM
    I agree. BlackBerry traffic, travel, protect, all these apps are awesome. I also made a post about the RIM developed messenger apps (Google Talk, AOL, Yahoo, Windows Live), they need to take the charge and get them on the PlayBook.
    03-05-12 02:09 PM
    SO with all the push from RIM to get developers on QNX, it seems to me like they are not leading the charge. I like to try every app that RIM (as in developed by RIM) comes out with on my Bold. On the playbook, I looked around for RIM Apps, and found Blackberry News. No BB Maps, no BB Traffic, no BB Wallet, etc.

Shouldn't RIM be spending time developing awesome BB Exclusive apps for the QNX system, or are they fine with leaving development to third parties?
    RIM have them all busy making QNX apps for cars....
    03-05-12 02:24 PM
    I think RIM developers must start working hard and stop playing games (TAT UI) without realising nothing!
    fanatical likes this.
    03-05-12 02:26 PM
    Enough showing the "potential". It's time to produce.
    fanatical likes this.
    03-05-12 02:33 PM
    what baffles me is they cant even get a native twitter out? why is this? And the Facebook app is idk..lacking!!!! They do need to step it up and get out some native so i can get rid of this buggy slow Android emulator
    catwoman66 likes this.
    03-05-12 02:43 PM
    I can't imagine that they are not working on a dozen such apps right now. Why would anyone think they are not? They're simply not done.

Among other things, some of those apps would be pretty poor if not done using the native SDK (NDK). The NDK has only just reached non-beta form in 2.0 (and the non-beta 1.0 release was pretty limited, more like alpha in terms of API support), and it still doesn't have a released UI (widget) framework. That's a work in progress, the thing based on Qt and QML, called Cascades and to which you'll have seen references.

RIM doesn't gain a whole lot by rushing those things out to PlayBook users either. They're not likely "saving them up" for the phone though... they simply had focused their attention on the PIM stuff for the 2.0 release of the PlayBook, since that was the major missing piece. The rest is, I'm quite confident, in the works, in some cases probably waiting on Cascades features which are still being built or, at least, waiting for some stable APIs in that area so they don't have to redo things repeatedly as it evolves towards a first release.

"It's time to produce", sure, but it takes time to produce too. Just because you haven't heard anything about it doesn't mean it's not being done.
    missing_K-W and mithrazor like this.
    03-05-12 02:47 PM
    what baffles me is they cant even get a native twitter out? why is this? And the Facebook app is idk..lacking!!!! They do need to step it up and get out some native so i can get rid of this buggy slow Android emulator
    I do so agree with you although I love both the BB and PB experience. Instead of allowing hundreds of thousands of laggy apps into the store why oh why couldn't RIM have concentrated on quality apps. The 2.0 upgrade had definitely made the PB more useable, but let's hope it gets even better as I do believe RIM is going in the right direction.
    Kandoo-BB likes this.
    03-05-12 03:13 PM
    I agree they shouldn't rush them, but it looks bad on them when they are desperate for development on a platform that they have very little developed for themselves outside the native included apps.
    I agree once there is full BBM integration, and TAT everywhere, the PlayBook will likely have a small apworld market still, but some very high quality RIM Apps.
    03-06-12 10:11 AM
    I'm hoping they get some good ones out soon...its hard being an unofficial unpaid salesman for rim somedays ...
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-06-12 10:24 AM
    While the PB OS is the 'stepping stone' to BB10, I would hope their efforts are focused on having core apps that you've mentioned ready for BB10.

I'd imagine some of these may start to fall into place closer to BB10 launching...
    03-06-12 12:24 PM
    I am so glad I found this thread! I thought I was the only crazy one! Now I know there are at least a few other crazies too.

The absence of the RIM apps for PB was and is an incredible mistake on RIM's part. I would say 80 to 90 percent of my favorite BB apps are RIM apps such as BB Travel. Traffic, Wallet, etc. If RIM had the foresight to have these apps ready to go at the original Playbook release I think they would have faced an entirely different landscape than they did without them. A landscape that wasn't all uphill for them like it has been.

I agree, the time spent getting Android apps onto the PB could have been well spent developing their own in house apps for PB. I can't believe I am sitting here with the long awaited OS2 before I have BB Travel available for the device? There's just something wrong with that picture.

RIM does need to take the lead on this. I hope they get the message.

(Stepping down from soap box)
    03-06-12 02:23 PM
    Even if they had BB Travel for the PB it would have been fairly useless without OS2 anyways since there was no email or calendar application for the app to search anyways...

So best case scenario you wouldn't have gotten it until late February, assuming they developed and tested the app simultaneously with the OS2 release (which they didn't).

Same goes for Traffic. They would have had to strip out the sms/email contact features and change the mapping entirely to use Bing rather than BB Maps because there is no BB Maps on the PB, which probably isn't that trivial of a change... Traffic relies on the .cods of BB Maps to begin with.
    03-06-12 02:30 PM
    I have migrated to using the facebook website. It works very well with the brower upgrade in 2dot0 and is better than any FB app I've used for any platform. Just 'add to homescreen'
    03-06-12 03:22 PM
    The apps are coming in at a nice steady pace for the PlayBook. Sucks most are not for the previous OS's. They are on the right path though. BB10 is going to kick !
    03-06-12 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD