09-21-12 06:51 PM
63 123
    RIM doesn't want you using Hulu or Netflix as they have their own applications for you to use. In the very near future you will see a application on the PB designed to provide a similar experience as Hulu and Netflix. It's all about $$$
    02-06-12 12:21 PM
    I think it is ridiculous that content that is provided in a web browser is ever locked down to a type of device or OS. If there are agreements based on such restrictions, then they were created by people completely ignorant of technology, and/or very greedy.

I stopped using Hulu altogether, but I previously used it and was fine using their ad-supported site for shows I missed and want to watch on my own time. It really shouldn't matter what device I'm using - it's the same content and the same ads.

What really sucks is that I have Comcast and their online streaming options (through the browser, since there is no PB app) are really just using other sources, including Hulu. So even though I'm paying for Comcast and they offer the ability to watch some things online, when it uses Hulu, it doesn't work. So I get screwed by Hulu again.

I think one of the reasons I've seen posted before about there being no Hulu Plus app had to do with lack of DRM support in OS 1. So if OS 2 includes it, then perhaps we'll see a Hulu Plus app. I won't be using it though, because I'm not paying again for content I'm already paying for.
    Last edited by DaedalusIcarusHelios; 02-06-12 at 01:00 PM. Reason: should have proof-read
    Kandoo-BB and chi-town311 like this.
    02-06-12 12:25 PM
    RIM doesn't want you using Hulu or Netflix as they have their own applications for you to use. In the very near future you will see a application on the PB designed to provide a similar experience as Hulu and Netflix. It's all about $$$
    It'll be a tough sell in and of itself. A company needs those third-party apps to make headway, IMHO.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-06-12 12:25 PM
    Their business model is ad-based for pc usage, but subscription-based Hulu+ for mobile and non-pc devices. It's the same for all tablets,phones, game consoles,TVs and TV-connected devices. The problem with the PlayBook is that they blocked browser access in accordance with their agreements, but haven't provided a Hulu+ app. The demand is not just the size of the PB userbase, but how many of those would subscribe to Hulu+ or would cancel their sub if they don't provide PB support. Then, they would need to negotiate the rights and build an app.
    The post above is the closest to the truth about Hulu/Hulu+. A quick search revealed this:

Why Hulu users are locked to computers while Netflix users roam free | VentureBeat

"The complaint is common enough that Hulu addresses it on its FAQ page, saying, When we launched the free Hulu.com service, we obtained licensing to stream content directly to the PC and only to the PC. With the launch of the subscription-based Hulu Plus service, we had to start from scratch and acquire licensing to stream content on TVs, smartphones and tablets, as well as PCs There are still some exceptions that we are working to resolve."

To summarize: Hulu prevented the Playbook from content because of licensing agreements. Hulu+ works for selected devices based on new agreements Hulu has made. Currently, the list of selected devices does not include the Playbook.

Speculation: There aren't enough Playbooks in the U.S. to warrant a version.
    02-06-12 01:42 PM
    Are we all reading the same email?!?!

Hulu is only important to Americans. The rest of the world can't use it, so I can see why it might not have been a priority to RIM when they launched the Playbook.

However, it doesn't appear to me that the blame lies only with RIM. I'm quite sure that if Hulu wanted to play a part, they could clear the specs in very short order.

It actually reads like a standard, form letter, saying little of real substance.
    I want HULU & NETFLIX on the Playboook ASAP. Oh yeah... I'm American & I don't see how that makes a difference at all...
    02-06-12 01:48 PM
    That's right; besides, I could care less if Hula hoops is not on the PB....current multi-media apps are fine as is.
    tsk tsk....
    Last edited by lorax1284; 02-06-12 at 03:06 PM.
    02-06-12 03:02 PM
    You guys are probably right, it's RIM fault, they're being greedy. All these poor corporations are doing is trying to give away their content and RIM is greedy...

Hulu is a joint venture of NBCUniversal (Comcast/General Electric),[5] Fox Entertainment Group (News Corp) and Disney-ABC Television Group (The Walt Disney Company),[6] with funding by Providence Equity Partners, the owner of Newport Television, which made a US$100 million equity investment and received a 10% stake.[7]
    Poor Hulu, RIM should be ashamed... Providence probably listed that investment as charity, since they obviously wouldn't be in a for-profit business venture with their capital...

"I understand what the signed agreements say, your Honor, but I feel like I should get what I want..."
    02-06-12 03:21 PM
    Has anybody tried using the Secure Browser app with a different user agent to see if Hulu works? How is Hulu identifying the device as a PB if it is not using the user agent?
    02-06-12 03:39 PM
    It identifies it through the Flash plug in. All of the 3rd party browsers use the same plug in regardless of user agent. That is what I read somewhere.
    02-06-12 04:07 PM
    Has anybody tried using the Secure Browser app with a different user agent to see if Hulu works? How is Hulu identifying the device as a PB if it is not using the user agent?
    I think it may be the Flash that is identifying it, but the various browser with changeable User Agents don't work.

"Playbook email lacks copy and paste for now" - tell me your kidding. Really? No! And this Playbook thingy is from the people who made their name in business by allowing email to be sent easily and securely. Whoever came up with the playbook email app MUST go outside now and drown themselves. Please. It's the best thing for you.
    They're either kidding or didn't execute properly. Works fine for me. How about on yours? What does this have to do with Hulu?
    02-06-12 04:09 PM
    Hulu+ and netflix would be great addition to the playbook apps. They are recognized as regular apps to most other major tablets and cell phones. Personally, I don't need them because I have 20 other devices that can play netflix and hulu here at home and on mobile, but I would like to see them on the playbook; the playbook's hardware is so great that I would love to show it off against other tablets with the same apps. I would like my pb to be better than other tablets.

People who say, "go get a droid or iMachine if you want that app..." Well I have a droid and iPads, but I don't want my playbook to be sub par to the competition, I want it to be ABOVE PAR. I want my playbook to be able to play every droid and apple app out there! and then be able to say, "in addition to these apps, I also have these awesome native features to the blackberry playbook..."

I get that some people don't have use for netflix or hulu... I don't give a damn about bridging, messenger, Canadian news, or Cutting rope, but I want my pb to be able to have it. People complain that the pb doesn't have certain apps because they just their pb to be used to it's potential. I want my pb to be better than my other devices because from hardware and OS standpoint, it is better than other tablets, and it is just the apps that are holding it back.

So yes, if RIM needs to pay other companies to get their apps submitted then they should make that investment. Get the major companies that have established apps on other platforms to sign on, then once others are enticed by the pb's capabilities, create native apps that will blow away other apps and be exclusive to the playbook...
    alan510 likes this.
    02-06-12 05:03 PM
    Didn't hulu work when the PB was released?
    Yes it did, I watched it operate on a Playbook prior to the official release of the device....
    ...I was watching Netflix on a REP's issued Playbook prior to the actual release.
    09-21-12 06:48 PM
    Hulu worked after release too. For about two or three days (maybe as much as a week) until they blocked it.
    09-21-12 06:51 PM
63 123