I'm Canadian, we don't have Hulu up north so I can care less.

Hulu blocks all mobile browsers (or at least tries to). Someone posted recently that Hulu says their agreements only allow for streaming to computers. Thus, it isn't a nefarious plan hatched against RIM; Hulu does this across the board.

And yes, RIM is responsible for the development of its own ecosystem.
    I don't consider the PB browser to be mobile. Just like RIM claim, it's the full desktop browser experience. Hulu should not treat his as a mobile browser.
    02-05-12 03:53 AM
    I don't consider the PB browser to be mobile. Just like RIM claim, it's the full desktop browser experience. Hulu should not treat his as a mobile browser.
    I'm not sure that your determination will change what the lawyers that write the agreements think. Hulu's not sitting on a pile of content, doling it out at their whim.

Regardless of the quality of the browser, the PB is still a mobile device.
    02-05-12 04:08 AM
    I'm not sure that your determination will change what the lawyers that write the agreements think. Hulu's not sitting on a pile of content, doling it out at their whim.

Regardless of the quality of the browser, the PB is still a mobile device.
    Agreed.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-05-12 07:33 AM
    What you all seem to be missing in this discussion is the sad fact that Hulu is DOOMED.

The TV partners have been quietly trying to unload it for the past year. The last thing they need is a platform full of new viewers that will be pi$$ed off when they go dark.
    Add Netflix to that mix...I predict EOL for those two this year.
    Chaddface and jivegirl14 like this.
    02-05-12 07:59 AM
    This is the same response that we have seen from the first day they started blocking the playbook. It is seriously the same email they sent me back in July or so. It is what it is, and if they decide to support 2.0, great, otherwise, I'm lookingforward to seeing dingleberry working on the full release with huluberry thrown in for good measure.
    02-05-12 09:00 AM
    Just as easy as hulu hit the no button they could hit the yes button. I think it's unfair to blame RIM for hulu's actions. I'm not sure you can blame hulu for their actions either. More is needed then just nut hugging to get a device authorized.
    Personally I couldn't care less if the PB supports it or flix or skype. I do hope the people that want it get it. In the meantime use amazon.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-05-12 09:10 AM
    I do not understand why a PB gets blocked and a laptop doesn't.
    Both are "mobile" devices, both have a Flash supported browser and both have wifi connection. This is senseless to me.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-05-12 09:16 AM
    The email is pretty clear. RIM hasn't stepped up to the plate to arrange for an agreement with Hulu+, whose content providers require such an agreement as part of their own contracts with Hulu+. Those of you who are outside of the States and are completely clueless (and are showing it here) about Hulu+ don't realize that it's commercial-supported -- that is, there are "limited" commercial interruptions for shows.

Hulu+ is not trying to keep its app limited to computers. It's on the Kindle Fire, and of course the iPad and Android tabs. RIM likely would have to lawyer up for an agreement with Hulu+ and perhaps pony up some cash as well. Unless they are completely tone deaf in Waterloo (and tone deafness has been an unfortunate tendency there since the iPhone came out in 2007), they will work to get it (and Netflix and Skype) on the PB pronto, or risk continuing the hemorrhage in the U.S. market.

Remember, one of the major (if not perhaps the) reason RIM continues to support the PB instead of dumping it and moving on is because if they did, developers would stop making apps for it -- and of course for BB10 devices. So if RIM is in this thing for the long haul, they will have to get Hulu+ and the other apps that are popular in the U.S. on the PB at whatever the cost.
    ralfyguy and BB_Bmore like this.
    02-05-12 09:27 AM
    The email is pretty clear. RIM hasn't stepped up to the plate to arrange for an agreement with Hulu+, whose content providers require such an agreement as part of their own contracts with Hulu+. Those of you who are outside of the States and are completely clueless (and are showing it here) about Hulu+ don't realize that it's commercial-supported -- that is, there are "limited" commercial interruptions for shows.

Hulu+ is not trying to keep its app limited to computers. It's on the Kindle Fire, and of course the iPad and Android tabs. RIM likely would have to lawyer up for an agreement with Hulu+ and perhaps pony up some cash as well. Unless they are completely tone deaf in Waterloo (and tone deafness has been an unfortunate tendency there since the iPhone came out in 2007), they will work to get it (and Netflix and Skype) on the PB pronto, or risk continuing the hemorrhage in the U.S. market.

Remember, one of the major (if not perhaps the) reason RIM continues to support the PB instead of dumping it and moving on is because if they did, developers would stop making apps for it -- and of course for BB10 devices. So if RIM is in this thing for the long haul, they will have to get Hulu+ and the other apps that are popular in the U.S. on the PB at whatever the cost.
    Good points. Even if folks don't really want to watch this stuff on a phone, they have a 7 inch tablet and expect these various sites to just work. As this thread proves, no one cares about the background reasons and back-and-forth between Rim/Hulu.

Could it also be that the pb, especially when Bridged reports a non-USA ip address, coming out of Canada? So rather than distinguish, they just turned off the service to pb's PERIOD.
    02-05-12 11:18 AM
    If you care about Hulu, set up a thing like was done on the forums for Skype and have everyone who cares email Hulu at once. From that they'll see how much demand there is, and if they still decide to not allow us access, then protest and stop using their service. That is how to get a service to come.

Personally, I won't be participating in that since I'm in Canada so Hulu doesn't work on anything here...
    sushistew likes this.
    02-05-12 11:33 AM
    I find their response a bit weird. Why would a content provider care what device it's streamed to? Do they care if a laptop is a Dell or HP? Soon they'll want an agreement with your ISP to stream over their network. I say it's BS from Hulu. I think what they want is to take advantage of RIM, knowing they're desperate for content.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    02-05-12 08:25 PM
    I find their response a bit weird. Why would a content provider care what device it's streamed to? Do they care if a laptop is a Dell or HP? Soon they'll want an agreement with your ISP to stream over their network. I say it's BS from Hulu. I think what they want is to take advantage of RIM, knowing they're desperate for content.
    Exactly my thoughts...
    02-05-12 08:31 PM
    I too fail to see the point behind hulu... but then again that's because I'm a Canadian, and when I want to watch something on TV I can log into my TV provider's online service and watch it there through my playbook.

I know, this isn't entirely the same as hulu, which on a regular computer is completely free, however you have to also recognize this: hulu's own tv partners / owners have, as another poster mentioned, been looking to offload hulu. The more hulu+ subscriptions signed and paid for, the more money hulu can get to keep itself afloat, but if they can get a major corporation to shell out money to them to help keep them afloat just so they'll code an app for their platform, they have even more of an income and could probably keep from being sold or closing up at the decision of owners.
    02-05-12 09:00 PM
    Hulu isn't a content provider. They license content from providers, and the agreements are specific to what can be provided to what platform.
    02-05-12 09:42 PM
    Hulu isn't a content provider. They license content from providers, and the agreements are specific to what can be provided to what platform.
    Exactly... this^^^
    02-05-12 10:09 PM
    If you care about Hulu, set up a thing like was done on the forums for Skype and have everyone who cares email Hulu at once. From that they'll see how much demand there is, and if they still decide to not allow us access, then protest and stop using their service. That is how to get a service to come.

Personally, I won't be participating in that since I'm in Canada so Hulu doesn't work on anything here...
    I think they know the demand is there as stated in the email.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    02-06-12 12:17 AM
    Their business model is ad-based for pc usage, but subscription-based Hulu+ for mobile and non-pc devices. It's the same for all tablets,phones, game consoles,TVs and TV-connected devices. The problem with the PlayBook is that they blocked browser access in accordance with their agreements, but haven't provided a Hulu+ app. The demand is not just the size of the PB userbase, but how many of those would subscribe to Hulu+ or would cancel their sub if they don't provide PB support. Then, they would need to negotiate the rights and build an app.

If you really want Hulu, I would recommend PlayOn
    02-06-12 01:06 AM
    I do not feel like reading through the previous threads but I believe the problem isn't that RIM does not want to sign with Hulu, it may just be regional control on things. The PlayBook can be used overseas, and it does not seem like there are any regional controlled applications in the App World.

Think of it as how you cannot play a JAP PlayStation 2 game on a NA PlayStation 2 Console.
    02-06-12 09:18 AM
    The Hulu and Netflix apps missing is not that much of a problem for some of us. I see the PlayBook as a portable device and really have no need to watch streaming entertainment when out of the house. I am in Canada, so Hulu is out, but if I want to watch Netflix, I have the choice of about five other devices in the house to watch it on ranging from computers to Blu-ray players, AppleTV. Why would I sit down and watch it on a 7" screen when I can just turn on a TV?

I can see the people wanting to use it when out and about but unless you have unlimited data on your cellular account, it could get quite expensive. This leaves just using at wireless hotspots. I suppose it would be handy to have when traveling and using in the hotel room, even connecting it up to the TV in the room.

What is really lacking on the Playbook is an easy way to bring video entertainment with you when you don't have access to the internet, such as on trips in the car or on planes. There are probably a lot of us that would like the ability to play legally obtained digital copies of movies and entertainment on our PlayBooks.
    02-06-12 09:39 AM
    Well, me myself had Hulu+ and dropped it. Also dropped netflix. not enough NEW content for me. but that's just me. There are a host of other LIVE streaming sites out there that work with playbook that I use. and Did I not mention FREE? I don't want to pay extra for Hulu+ when the same content is on there free site. If they want me to pay, then give me something that really adds value to the service that I am paying for. As for Hulu blocking RIM's PB browser. I see it as there loss, Not mine...
    02-06-12 10:41 AM
    I love the claim that they blocked it because it is a mobile device. First, my netbook is almost as mobile and it isn't blocked. Second, PB doesn't have 3G so you really need to be at "home" to use it. Back to first point, if said netbook had a 3G modem would it not be even more mobile. Thirdly, when Windows 8 tablets come out, WTF is hulu going to do. Will Windows 8 have seperate browsers for mobile devices and PC's even though they are running identical OS's. Clearly, I think this distinction is BS. They just want us to pay for Hulu+. If that is the case, then make a friggin' app.

I am clueless to the cost of making such things, but I find it hard to believe that making such an app would be very costly. Anyone have a guess at how much making an app like this would cost?
    ralfyguy likes this.
    02-06-12 10:47 AM
    Blame is moot. Every tablet has it except the PB. That is what the consumer sees. That means there is something wrong with the PB. Simple as that. If the PB is not a real enough tablet to have a Hulu+ and Netflix app, then it is not real enough to compete with the big boys. Don't even bother trying to rationalize to the buying public. They don't give a damn.
    02-06-12 11:36 AM
    This is the whole apps circle.

Playbook doesn't have apps because they need more followers, but they don't have enough followers because there aren't any apps.
    02-06-12 11:43 AM
    i dont even know what hulu does LOL
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-06-12 11:44 AM
    This is the whole apps circle.

Playbook doesn't have apps because they need more followers, but they don't have enough followers because there aren't any apps.
    That simply can't be true. There are plenty of apps for the Android platform. NO Android tablet is successful in the market place. The iPad isn't successful because it has lots of apps. It is successful because when people saw it, they wanted it and remained excited about it. From that natural passion for a product that people love, the ecosystem was built. Passion cannot be created artificially by creating an ecosystem unsupported by a product people love.
    02-06-12 11:48 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD