So who is at fault as too why hulu is not on playbook? What do you guys gather from the email? Do you think we will see it soon? Sorry for the pic playbook email lacks copy and paste for now.
    02-04-12 06:18 PM
    again, this really shows how much BB missed the bus when it comes to multimedia/content apps
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    02-04-12 06:21 PM
    again, this really shows how much BB missed the bus when it comes to multimedia/content apps
    yea....they really NEED to improve their ecosystem...
    02-04-12 06:23 PM
    Forward that email to Alec Saunders ....Tell him to giddy up lol
    02-04-12 06:23 PM
    Are we all reading the same email?!?!

Hulu is only important to Americans. The rest of the world can't use it, so I can see why it might not have been a priority to RIM when they launched the Playbook.

However, it doesn't appear to me that the blame lies only with RIM. I'm quite sure that if Hulu wanted to play a part, they could clear the specs in very short order.

It actually reads like a standard, form letter, saying little of real substance.
    02-04-12 06:31 PM

Hulu is only important to Americans. The rest of the world can't use it, so I can see why it might not have been a priority to RIM when they launched the Playbook.

However, it doesn't appear to me that the blame lies only with RIM. I'm quite sure that if Hulu wanted to play a part, they could clear the specs in very short order.

It actually reads like a standard, form letter, saying little of real substance.
    That's right; besides, I could care less if Hula hoops is not on the PB....current multi-media apps are fine as is.
    02-04-12 06:39 PM
    Sorry for the pic playbook email lacks copy and paste for now.
    When your looking at the email hit forward then you can copy the text.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-04-12 07:03 PM
    That's one way of looking at it.

Another is that RIM should be doing everything they can to win back customers in the US. With popularity of Hulu, supporting it on BB's could help their cause.

02-04-12 07:10 PM
    So who is at fault as too why hulu is not on playbook? What do you guys gather from the email? Do you think we will see it soon? Sorry for the pic playbook email lacks copy and paste for now.
    Re: copy/paste email

If you start a reply, you can copy in the reply, cancel the reply and then start a new email and paste into it.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-04-12 07:40 PM
    Forward that email to Alec Saunders ....Tell him to giddy up lol
    Funny you said I tweeted him about the email and he gave me his email and asked me to forward it. I like Alec he has really been on his job!!!
    02-04-12 08:08 PM
    When your looking at the email hit forward then you can copy the text.
    NICE! Thank you.
    02-04-12 08:10 PM
    I've said this before and will say it again. Without RIM reaching out to the major app developers, don't expect Skype, Hulu, Netflix, Kindle, etc. on the Playbook. Regardless of how many requests you send or how many email campaigns you organize. It's entirely RIM's fault these apps are still lacking.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-04-12 at 08:24 PM.
    1magine likes this.
    02-04-12 08:21 PM
    Didn't hulu work when the PB was released?
    recompile likes this.
    02-04-12 08:26 PM
    Hulu was working fine for a day or so. Many people have already stated in other threads that hulu droped the playbook not the other way around. Most likely because RIM would not pay some sort of extortion. Just because a few demand hulu doesn't mean its where RIM needs to waist cash. Stop blaming RIM and get off Thorstens nuts
    02-04-12 08:34 PM
    Didn't hulu work when the PB was released?
    Yes it was working for a while.
    02-04-12 08:36 PM
    If it does ever come to fruition, it won't be Hulu, it will be the subscription based Hulu+. That's their mobile model.
    02-04-12 08:39 PM
    its true that a lot of these major app programs are not RIMs fault. perfect example is DingleBerry. They have unlocked the lock on the PB for Hulu but the regular versions wont work it. So this shows that RIM wants it to work but they have to lock it for whatever reason.

The email does say based on customer demand so if we email bomb them will that be enough customer demand? and it reads that there is no support...like i just said DingleBerry proves that there is support on RIMs side so its Hulu that's doing something or not doing something...
    02-04-12 08:53 PM
    Hulu has made a choice not to support the PB. They also blocked Google TV, Apple TV, Roku, and some specialty browsers designed to be displayed on TV's (at least that was the case initially and may have changed with the advent of Hulu Plus). They have made a business decision to keep their services off of most services unless they get paid for it. It's not a RIM thing as much as it's a Hulu thing.
    highos likes this.
    02-04-12 09:04 PM
    Hulu has made a choice not to support the PB. They also blocked Google TV, Apple TV, Roku, and some specialty browsers designed to be displayed on TV's (at least that was the case initially and may have changed with the advent of Hulu Plus). They have made a business decision to keep their services off of most services unless they get paid for it. It's not a RIM thing as much as it's a Hulu thing.
    Hulu - Plus
    02-04-12 09:08 PM
    Given Hulu actually already would work with the Playbook without an app, I would take this with a serious grain of salt. All Hulu needs to do is unlock it so that it can run through the browser - they are the one's who locked it out in the first place. This is not the same case as Netflix, which uses Silverlight for its browser access. That then requires someone to develop an app or implement a Silverlight plugin. This is a case where the provider (Hulu) has consciously locked Playbook users out. Personally, I don't see the fascination Hulu anyway. They charge more for less, and the picture quality is inferior to Netflix (which is say something pretty sad).
    highos, jivegirl14 and alnamvet68 like this.
    02-04-12 10:05 PM
    Given Hulu actually already would work with the Playbook without an app, I would take this with a serious grain of salt. All Hulu needs to do is unlock it so that it can run through the browser - they are the one's who locked it out in the first place. This is not the same case as Netflix, which uses Silverlight for its browser access. That then requires someone to develop an app or implement a Silverlight plugin. This is a case where the provider (Hulu) has consciously locked Playbook users out. Personally, I don't see the fascination Hulu anyway. They charge more for less, and the picture quality is inferior to Netflix (which is say something pretty sad).
    I don't believe developing the apps is an issue here. Correct me if I am wrong, but MS, Amazon, Netflix, with their armies of in-house and contracted developers can write an app that works on the Playbook within a few weeks. Of course, if they are nicely asked to do so.
    02-04-12 10:09 PM
    What you all seem to be missing in this discussion is the sad fact that Hulu is DOOMED.

The TV partners have been quietly trying to unload it for the past year. The last thing they need is a platform full of new viewers that will be pi$$ed off when they go dark.
    02-04-12 10:11 PM
    I don't agree with many of the people that Blame RIM for the reason Hulu app is not available on the Playbook. As some of mentioned the browser was able to display the content until it was blocked by Hulu servers.

If I was RIM, I would not pay money when the users will still have to pay for content itself with the Hulu + subscription. I believe RIM is doing a good job on focusing on the browser to run the web apps which will divert the effort for companies to make apps for the device when the tablet can act like a desktop app.

I do believe that RIM should focus on developers like they are doing by offering help and providing free tools like free playbooks to android developers.
    jonno_atamaniuk likes this.
    02-04-12 11:16 PM
    If I was RIM, I would not pay money when the users will still have to pay for content itself with the Hulu + subscription. I believe RIM is doing a good job on focusing on the browser to run the web apps which will divert the effort for companies to make apps for the device when the tablet can act like a desktop app.
    Sorry but this is exactly the reason why RIM is losing the game. Besides, tablets, with their small screens and no dedicated input other than the screen itself CANNOT act like a desktop. Factor in that apps are also usually optimized for the less powerful CPU speeds and lower memory.

I do believe that RIM should focus on developers like they are doing by offering help and providing free tools like free playbooks to android developers.
    Yeah, I am trying to imagine Ballmer or Bezos saying to their teams "Hey guys, I want that app ready by the 16th so that I can get a free Playbook"
    02-04-12 11:23 PM
    Hulu blocks all mobile browsers (or at least tries to). Someone posted recently that Hulu says their agreements only allow for streaming to computers. Thus, it isn't a nefarious plan hatched against RIM; Hulu does this across the board.

And yes, RIM is responsible for the development of its own ecosystem.
    02-04-12 11:24 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD