My dilemma-
    FINALLY got ORB to play nice with my PC and TV tuner card. This application part of ORB has been buggy for years, through dozens of different versions and three different host computers I have played with the last four years. Finally, it is appearing to be pretty stable and working on the PB quite well. I will be keeping my fingers crossed, as I just ordered a real nice outdoor HDTV antenna which should give me access to over 60 TV channels with program guide and DVR function! VERY nice! Might say goodbye to cable once I also hook the antenna up to my 55" HDTV. Free TV!.
    My problem: I don't want to leave my computer CPU on 24/7. If I put my PC in sleep mode, I can't access ORB remotely for TV, webcam, OR file access. There are tons of simple, free apps for the PC end to get remote wake up. Is there ANY way to actually turn the PC on remotely from Playbook without an app- just through the internet by using some kind of password protection? Any sharp tech guys (gals) have any ideas- or do I just have to wait for an app that is written for PB.

2nd Question: Is there an app designed for the BBOS platform(s)? If so, I can turn on the PC remotely from my PHONE, them access ORB from Playbook.....

(maybe I just have too much time on my hands.... )
    05-05-11 09:18 AM
    I have been trying to figure this out, and it is a very difficult problem to get around.

There is a router firmware called dd-wrt available for some routers which apparently can allow a PC to be woken up over the internet. I'm reluctant to install it on my router because I read that it can cause problems, particularly with wireless performance (but your mileage may vary).

If there is a single PC awake on your LAN (e.g. Atom netbook drawing less than 15 watts), I read that can be used to wake up other LAN PCs. So if you can pick up a used one for cheap and can tolerate 10-15 watts 24/7 that is an option.

I just bought a pogoplug for $60 to play around with (hoping it can act as the 'single PC awake on the LAN' solution above). It won't work out of the box, but I read that custom linux can be installed on it and possibly used to wake up a PC - this way I won't wreck my router.

I probably won't get around to this very soon, but if I find something that works I'll post it.

It would be cool if RIM itself (or through partners) could offer a solution (remote access of home media files with wake capability)
    05-05-11 10:20 AM
    Thanks for the feedback, MisterMe11. I haven't looked into a hardware solution, but I will certainly explore that. I now use Vulkano from Monsoon, a hardware alternative to Slingbox, for my Torch- as Slingbox does not support OS6 phones, and probably never will. (plus their mobile apps are $30.00 and the Vulkano app is free.) It works GREAT on BB Torch for my cable, plus DVR and full remote control functions, all for $99.00. But it would require an app for Playbook, and that would probably be a long time coming (relatively.)
    05-05-11 10:57 AM
    Hmm I thought orb did wake my pc up. I've haven't touched my pc in hours and the files I have accessed are on the slave. I know that drive for sure was sleeping because I can hear it starting up.

My primary drive is a solid state drive so I wonder if it really isn't going to sleep (it doesn't need to stop spinning like a conventional drive).

Or did I misread what you are saying? Are you talking about sleep or turning off the pc?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 07:30 PM
    Hmm I thought orb did wake my pc up. I've haven't touched my pc in hours and the files I have accessed are on the slave. I know that drive for sure was sleeping because I can hear it starting up.

My primary drive is a solid state drive so I wonder if it really isn't going to sleep (it doesn't need to stop spinning like a conventional drive).

Or did I misread what you are saying? Are you talking about sleep or turning off the pc?

could be the difference in the drive, Double_J. I definitely mean from a sleep state on a Windows7 Ultimate machine. Same thing with my older XP machine. Orb will not wake up the machine.
    05-05-11 07:59 PM
    I'm using win7 as well. I tried it again before I went to bed last night. My pc had not been used in many hours (6hrs maybe) then I launched orb from the pb and it worked.

If I remember I will try and install orb on another machine that has a standard drive.

05-06-11 05:42 AM
    Hi, i know this is an old thread.

I just installed orb and I am playing with it. I too have problems with this.
    If my pc is asleep when I open orb in the pb browser, there is an option to wake up the pc, which I tried, several times. But it doesn't seem to work. The pc just stays on sleep mode.

Does anybody have a solution?
    08-26-12 11:14 PM
    I keep any media server I use ALWAYS on - no off time, no sleep. Services like Wake On LAN, etc don't work enough - and the comfort of knowing it will work 100% of the time is worth any potential expense.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful - I just fail to grasp the conceptuality of a media server that goes to sleep or is turned off.
    08-27-12 09:52 AM
    I keep any media server I use ALWAYS on - no off time, no sleep. Services like Wake On LAN, etc don't work enough - and the comfort of knowing it will work 100% of the time is worth any potential expense.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful - I just fail to grasp the conceptuality of a media server that goes to sleep or is turned off.
    Well, in this case, the "media server" happens to be my every day pc. The conceptuality of putting it in sleep mode being to stretch its components' lifetime.

But I take from your answer that I will have to turn off sleep mode if I go away and want to access my media...
    08-27-12 12:28 PM
    Well, in this case, the "media server" happens to be my every day pc. The conceptuality of putting it in sleep mode being to stretch its components' lifetime.

But I take from your answer that I will have to turn off sleep mode if I go away and want to access my media...
    Prior to going away for a week, I was worried about my internet even holding out (without having to reset the router/modem). A couple days before leaving I ended up replacing my router, which is still working great and remains connected at all times. I also made sure my custom "Always On" power profile was set - it worked amazingly all week!

Since then, I've purchased an inexpensive Zotac ZBOX (AD04 to be specific) to deal with all downloads and transcoding. Since I don't use it for anything else, I just connect to it via RDC from my main computer, which can have a sleep profile set now that I think about it...

Good luck though! I have Windows 8 on my main computer which had issues with eSATA port multiplication (worked fine on Windows 7), which is why I ultimately bought the ZBOX, so I'm curious to see how sleep/standby works on Windows 8 - there are certainly many kinks to still work out as of Windows 7!
    08-28-12 06:51 AM
    I was reading about Wake on Lan having to be enabled on a pc's bios, plus afew other tweeks, in order to be able to wake it from a browser. Could it be that I need to do that befor Orb can work ?
    08-29-12 05:07 PM
    Ok Orb cannot wake your pc if you have it set to password of wake. If you're having a problem waking it up you might want to use another app like Remote Desktop or Splashtop. You can use Splashtop if you don't have a password to wake set up. Remote Desktop will allow you to log in with your password but it's a little harder to set up. This way you will have remote access to your pc to find out what your issues are.
    08-29-12 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD