So does this use native MSRDP over local LAN and not some third-party-god-knows-who's-looking-at-it servers to bounce your remote desktop traffic through? If it does - I'm buying it, someone please confirm.
    It uses Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP).
    01-24-12 01:24 PM
    Yes DNS is set up, the issue is not the configuration of the network, as I stated my laptop, or other devices have no issue resolving or connecting across the WIFI and LAN. It also makes no difference if I use IP address vs Name. The RDP on my Ipod Touch has no issue being on WIFI and hitting the LAN as well.
    On your playbook, go to Options -> Wi-Fi -> Click the Question mark icon lower left -> Click the dropdown and select Ping -> Put your server IP in the "Ping To" and see if it works or not. If the playbook is not able to ping the server on the different LAN then you can't really blame the app...
    01-24-12 01:26 PM
    Purchased the app and tried it on a server. Worked like a charm. Zooming was ok, tap to click was also recognized. Only con is the main user interface, the icons on the upper right are very hard to hit.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-24-12 01:29 PM
    That's madness - just about every OS of Windows supports RDP connections (I use RDP/RDC just about every day on multiple OS's incl XP, W7 and Server machines)
    Yes and no. Win7 home is for people who just don't have a need for RDC and is generally at a reduced price point. They need to differentiate the lower tier to the mid and upper tier some how to get an extra 20-50 bucks out of you.
    01-24-12 02:03 PM
    On your playbook, go to Options -> Wi-Fi -> Click the Question mark icon lower left -> Click the dropdown and select Ping -> Put your server IP in the "Ping To" and see if it works or not. If the playbook is not able to ping the server on the different LAN then you can't really blame the app...
    I had done that, and a ping was good, no issues. I have since re-booted my Playbook and ta-da it all works great. I can RDP to any server on the local LAN as well as any of our remote LANs. It runs nice and fast as I connected so servers in China and South Africa with no more delay then from my laptop. I will test connecting via bridge again later, as I emailed the DEV and he stated that the app should work over the Bridge.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-24-12 02:12 PM
    Yes and no. Win7 home is for people who just don't have a need for RDC and is generally at a reduced price point. They need to differentiate the lower tier to the mid and upper tier some how to get an extra 20-50 bucks out of you.
    Seriously? You can't RDC to a machine on W7 Home or Basic? That's crazy!!!
    01-24-12 02:13 PM
    Purchased the app and tried it on a server. Worked like a charm. Zooming was ok, tap to click was also recognized. Only con is the main user interface, the icons on the upper right are very hard to hit.
    I agree, buttons were hard to hit correctly
    01-24-12 02:19 PM
    Doing it on your home lan is pretty strait forward. Setting it up so that you can reach your pc from the internet requires knowing some basic networking and knowing how to set up your router to forward ports. Most consumer routers will have a preconfigured Remote Desktop forwarding settings but I don't recommend these settings.
    What specifically has to go into the various fields in "New Connection"?
    Tried my Computer Name, its IP address and my PC login info to no avail.
    01-24-12 02:28 PM
    Anyone else experiencing a problem trying to buy this app?

I click on the 'Purchase' button, but nothing happens.... I am running the latest OS 2.0 beta, could that be the problem?
    01-24-12 02:38 PM
    Doing it on your home lan is pretty strait forward. Setting it up so that you can reach your pc from the internet requires knowing some basic networking and knowing how to set up your router to forward ports. Most consumer routers will have a preconfigured Remote Desktop forwarding settings but I don't recommend these settings.
    Another noob here...it is very confusing...wat to fill in the server, domain, username and password...
    my IPv4 address that I get from ipconfig command is different from the IP address I get from the website whatismyipaddress.com. So which address to put in the server tab.
    for username and password, do I need to put in my windows login username and password or router's username and password.
    Finally what goes in the domain tab ?
    thank you
    Mattman3234, Simon Sage and JerBru like this.
    01-24-12 06:37 PM
    What specifically has to go into the various fields in "New Connection"?
    Tried my Computer Name, its IP address and my PC login info to no avail.
    I'd also like some help here as well.

Instructions arn't great, I assume

a) that the Name is just an identifier for the icon to identifying what PC you connecting to?
    b) Server = System and has to be the complete 'computer name'

the rest are OK but what do you do with the Console: has this to be selected?

Either way i am getting ' Alert, Could not connect to server
    01-24-12 06:57 PM
    use the name assigned to the PC

use the IP address from whatismyipaddress.com

windows username and password

unless you have domains setup this can be left blank

port 3389
    01-24-12 07:06 PM
    I had some troubles as well as sent a email to support, they were very quick to help. here is what they sent me....

NAME: Test (this is a unique name that distinguishes the Connection to the Application) without a ' in the name.

Server: 192.168.1.100 (This could be either an IP address or a fully qualified domain name such as server.blackberry.com and is the address of the server you wish to connect to.

Username: This would be whichever username you would use to log into the computer if you were sitting at the keyboard and mouse.

Password: This would be the password you would use with the above username if you were sitting at the keyboard and mouse.

Domain: The domain would be the domain name if your system was connected to a domain otherwise it would be the name of your computer (look in the Control panel, System window).

The username, password and domain are optional but speed up the process of connection. At some point you need to enter these, either in the Connection settings or when you are prompted to connect to the server. these would be the account details that you would use to log into the machine locally.

Port: 3389 (This will usually not need to be changed.

Resolution: 1024x600 This is the resolution you are connecting with (ie. screen space) 1024x600 is the native PlayBook resolution.

Color Depth: 16 (This bitdepth of the colors being used for the connection, so for example 16 would be thousands of colors, 8 would be 256, and 32 would be millions of colors).

Console connects you to the server as if you were logging in locally at the console instead of creating a normal RDP connection which is similar to fast user switching)

Also check that you have configured to allow:

1. Open Control Panel from the Start menu.

2. System and Security

3. Under System on the right hand side of the window select Allow Remote Access

4. Ensure that Allow connections from computers running and version of Remote Desktop (less secure)

5. You may need to click Select Users and add your user account (ie you login name) to that list to allow your account access to the machine via the RDP protocol.

Please let me know if you continue to have issues and I will see what I can do to help. Good luck
    01-24-12 07:09 PM
    It uses Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP).
    Thank you! Buying it...
    01-24-12 07:44 PM
    To connect to my remote desktop at work I need to be able to set the security level. I require to be able to use a NLA security level. Is there anywhere to set this when setting up a new connection?
    01-24-12 08:25 PM
    get sound and this will be a really killer app!
    01-24-12 08:36 PM
    I had some troubles as well as sent a email to support, they were very quick to help. here is what they sent me....

NAME: Test (this is a unique name that distinguishes the Connection to the Application) without a ' in the name.

Server: 192.168.1.100 (This could be either an IP address or a fully qualified domain name such as server.blackberry.com and is the address of the server you wish to connect to.

Username: This would be whichever username you would use to log into the computer if you were sitting at the keyboard and mouse.

Password: This would be the password you would use with the above username if you were sitting at the keyboard and mouse.

Domain: The domain would be the domain name if your system was connected to a domain otherwise it would be the name of your computer (look in the Control panel, System window).

The username, password and domain are optional but speed up the process of connection. At some point you need to enter these, either in the Connection settings or when you are prompted to connect to the server. these would be the account details that you would use to log into the machine locally.

Port: 3389 (This will usually not need to be changed.

Resolution: 1024x600 This is the resolution you are connecting with (ie. screen space) 1024x600 is the native PlayBook resolution.

Color Depth: 16 (This bitdepth of the colors being used for the connection, so for example 16 would be thousands of colors, 8 would be 256, and 32 would be millions of colors).

Console connects you to the server as if you were logging in locally at the console instead of creating a normal RDP connection which is similar to fast user switching)

Also check that you have configured to allow:

1. Open Control Panel from the Start menu.

2. System and Security

3. Under System on the right hand side of the window select Allow Remote Access

4. Ensure that Allow connections from computers running and version of Remote Desktop (less secure)

5. You may need to click Select Users and add your user account (ie you login name) to that list to allow your account access to the machine via the RDP protocol.

Please let me know if you continue to have issues and I will see what I can do to help. Good luck
    Thanks, but it looks like only an administrator can get access remotely ... I cant change some of the settings.

A try before you buy option would be good for some of these apps.
    01-24-12 08:36 PM
    Will someone please answer me, what do i put for the server and the domain?
    Thanks.
    01-24-12 09:20 PM
    I have Vista Home premium sp2, according to the Microsoft website "desktop remote services" was enabled in sp1. Am I missing something here? I do not want to spend $6.99 for an app that will not work.
    01-24-12 09:25 PM
    Ooooooohhhhhh yesssss

Works great with my cisco vpn into my corporate network.

Sometimes it does not disconnect but i can live with that.
    01-24-12 09:46 PM
    I downloaded Splashtop. It works as advertised. However it is tough going from a 20" monitor to a 7" Playbook screen! Still waiting to find out if Remote Desktop works with Vista Home Premium.
    01-24-12 10:01 PM
    Would it be nice to have it free yes, but many have been asking for such an app since launch. Many have even said they would pay money for said app. The dev took the time to deliver said app, so I don't think it is took much to ask for some money for all the work. RIM could have delivered something like this, but at the moment they are knee deep into other things including OS2.

I am happy that this has been finally delivered. I have purchased it! Thanks
    I am definitely a believer and supporter of the application developers releasing such high-quality and useful applications for either the BlackBerry smartphones or BlackBerry tablets. The fact that I am able to use the same applications on both of my professional-use BlackBerry tablets while a nice feature of BlackBerry App World, I would readily pay the fee for each tablet to have its own copy of such high-quality applications.

On the BlackBerry PlayBooks I gave a gifts for Christmas it was a no-brainer for me to purchase and pre-configure a few paid applications.
    01-24-12 10:23 PM
    That's madness - just about every OS of Windows supports RDP connections (I use RDP/RDC just about every day on multiple OS's incl XP, W7 and Server machines)
    It depends on which edition of XP, Vista, W7 you have. While any Windows edition supports the Remote Desktop client, the server component is not enabled in W7 Home Premium. It requires Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise edition. Or the hack listed in my post.
    01-25-12 03:50 AM
    I have splashtop which one is better and what is the diff ?
    For one thing, Splashtop and other VNC-like methods just send a "video" of the screen to your PlayBook. It tries to compress it a bit, but it is limited and requires quite a lot of processor power on the server.

Windows tells RDP about what is happening on the screen. Instead of having to send bitmaps, RDP sends vector drawing commands and semantic information about the windows, buttons etc. That's much more efficient, uses less bandwidth and less processor power on both client and server. It can also adjusts to bandwidth constraints, cache bitmaps and optimize for different resolutions, color settings and font availability. Finally, in some situations it also knows about video regions and process those differently (framerate, transcoding, audio sync). When connected over a LAN or good broadband connection it's often difficult to tell you are working remotely.

Once the bugs are ironed out, RDP has much more potential but may require some more technical knowledge to set up on the server side, especially with the router.
    01-25-12 04:21 AM
    Ooooooohhhhhh yesssss

Works great with my cisco vpn into my corporate network.

Sometimes it does not disconnect but i can live with that.
    I finally got around to setting up vpn into our corporate network, this app works great and i'm now on the road to leaving the laptop in the office and using the playbook
    ShotHimABox likes this.
    01-25-12 06:54 AM
124 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD