From the description, it looks like some systems are already compatible. Having Windows 7 home version, I assume I'll need to install something.
    Access to Windows 7 Home Premium and lower via RDP isn't officially supported, but it can be done via a hack:

Windows 7 RTM concurrent remote desktop patch
    Last edited by Innovatology; 01-24-12 at 08:43 AM.
    01-24-12 08:41 AM
    Sorry, I misread MS's website.

All editions of Windows 7 include Remote Desktop Connection.

You can use Remote Desktop to initiate a connection "from" any edition of Windows 7.

You can connect to computers running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise.

You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.

It's the from part that I missed. Sorry.
    01-24-12 09:53 AM
    One big question. Does it work over bridge?
    2nd... I currently run Android RDP Enterprise on service calls, and if I'm not in a WIFI area I need to tether to my Torch 9810 to allow RDP access. If this app connects directly using bridge this would be sweet. Anyone try this?

edit: sorry, missed Manofice's post... looks like I'll stick to the Android app for now...
    Last edited by vorpalz; 01-24-12 at 10:09 AM.
    01-24-12 09:58 AM
    Does anyone know if i can log in using a ip address or weblocation address? Our office uses a program for orders and if i can log in the same way it would be a big help.

I currently use the RDP for my Mac and the way i log in locally is a IP addres and out side of the office i use a .com address. Before i make the purchase and realize its a complete waste for me, can any one help?

Thanks
    01-24-12 10:29 AM
    Let me say that the bridge mode doesn't work in my environment, I can't say for others...
    jabroniw likes this.
    01-24-12 10:32 AM
    Finally an App for RDP Connections! Will absolutely buy and try it. Installing 3rd Party RDP Tools on a Server was never really an option.
    01-24-12 10:34 AM
    I have splashtop which one is better and what is the diff ?
    01-24-12 10:34 AM
    Does anyone know if i can log in using a ip address or weblocation address? Our office uses a program for orders and if i can log in the same way it would be a big help.

I currently use the RDP for my Mac and the way i log in locally is a IP addres and out side of the office i use a .com address. Before i make the purchase and realize its a complete waste for me, can any one help?

Thanks
    You can login using either method.
    01-24-12 10:38 AM
    Access to Windows 7 Home Premium and lower via RDP isn't officially supported, but it can be done via a hack:

Well, Splashtop works darn good and I don't have to hack anything. Two clicks and my computers (3) come up pretty fast. If there aren't any substantial benefits to change, I guess I'll stick with what I have. Thanks!
    01-24-12 10:44 AM
    Some 3 Letter organizations do not believe in the security of WiFi
    I would love to see RDP work over the bridge connection for this reason also and to connect back to a BES server. Unfortunately though I've been told that RIM has not opened the bridge connection up to developers in the OS 2 sdk. So other than a browser based rdp session I don't see a solution to this anytime soon.
    01-24-12 10:49 AM
    I purchased and setup, two issues that I have are A) as stated by others it does not work via bridge, which would be nice. B) The RDP only works on the same subnet. A work our WIFI and LAN as set to different subnets. A laptop on wifi has no issues RDP to a server on the LAN, however this app can not RDP to a different subnet. Hopefully the Dev resolves this, going across subnets. For example WIFI IP: 192.168.3.xx and LAN IP: 192.168.1.xx, again in this instance the RDP on the playbook will not work. The routers and firewalls are setup correctly to pass the requests back and forth between subnets this is not the issue, I am sure it is the app.
    01-24-12 10:59 AM
    correct me if i am wrong. i think Splashtop need you to install something on the computer you want to remote to. with true rdp application you dont need to install anything on the remote windows computer, its part of the windows os.

i wanted a good remote desktop before. but now my company has deployed citrix environment i really dont need rdp app any more.
    Yes with BOTH you need SOMETHING on your computer to connect with ANY RDP Software.

Claiming that with this software you don't need to have software if just HALF TRUTH !

RDP Protocol ("Terminal Services"). has been developed by MICROSOFT and the software it use : Their official client software is currently referred to as Remote Desktop Connection, formerly "Terminal Services Client".

Every Windows version beginning with Windows XP (excluding 'Home' edition) includes an installed Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) ("Terminal Services") client (mstsc.exe) whose version is determined by that of the operating system or last applied Windows Service Pack. The Terminal Services server is supported as an official feature on Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition, Windows 2000 Server, all editions of Windows XP except Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Server 2003, Windows Home Server, on Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs, in Windows Vista Ultimate, Enterprise and Business editions, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 and on Windows 7 Professional and above.[citation needed]

Microsoft provides the client required for connecting to newer RDP versions for downlevel operating systems. Since the server improvements are not available downlevel, the features introduced with each newer RDP version only work on downlevel operating systems when connecting to a higher version RDP server from these older operating systems, and not when using the RDP server in the older operating system.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So in Short it's "MORE" AVAILABLE since XP, but you have on XP to install the MS RDP and like any (OR EVEN MORE) software it use MEMORY and CPU... So In all computer we have here we have DISABLED MS RDP for SECURITY and to SAVE MEMORY.

Most Often in remote we use Teamviewer wich allow using Webcam, sound and it is very secure and like Splashtop it can be used on Win or Mac and even LINUX for Teamviewer.

I understand that M$ want that we use HIS client as RDP and some IT department are AFRAID to not use M$ Software... so they are stuck with "So called" certified software... and if you work for a company like taht you are stuck to use a "Micro%sotft RDP" compatible client.

More Information here for curious geek:
    Install Remote Desktop Web Connection on Windows XP
    Remote Desktop Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Remote Desktop Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

I use this Cloud Service for my PLAYBOOK BACKUP ----> MINUS 10 GB of free disk space Upload individual files up to 2 GB All Free !
    Unlimited Downloads and Transfers - No Throttle, Resume Upload, Drag and drop file, and Android APK that work on the Playbook
    The best Cloud based service I've seen.
    01-24-12 11:24 AM
    I purchased and setup, two issues that I have are A) as stated by others it does not work via bridge, which would be nice. B) The RDP only works on the same subnet. A work our WIFI and LAN as set to different subnets. A laptop on wifi has no issues RDP to a server on the LAN, however this app can not RDP to a different subnet. Hopefully the Dev resolves this, going across subnets. For example WIFI IP: 192.168.3.xx and LAN IP: 192.168.1.xx, again in this instance the RDP on the playbook will not work. The routers and firewalls are setup correctly to pass the requests back and forth between subnets this is not the issue, I am sure it is the app.
    is DNS not set up between the subnets? Can you hit the server using the name vice IP?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-24-12 12:06 PM
    I would love to see RDP work over the bridge connection for this reason also and to connect back to a BES server. Unfortunately though I've been told that RIM has not opened the bridge connection up to developers in the OS 2 sdk. So other than a browser based rdp session I don't see a solution to this anytime soon.
    I wonder if this was opened in the newest sdk?
    01-24-12 12:07 PM
    Does anyone know if this or Splashtop support NTL?
    01-24-12 12:26 PM
    Yes with BOTH you need SOMETHING on your computer to connect with ANY RDP Software.

Claiming that with this software you don't need to have software if just HALF TRUTH !

RDP Protocol ("Terminal Services"). has been developed by MICROSOFT and the software it use : Their official client software is currently referred to as Remote Desktop Connection, formerly "Terminal Services Client".

Every Windows version beginning with Windows XP (excluding 'Home' edition) includes an installed Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) ("Terminal Services") client (mstsc.exe) whose version is determined by that of the operating system or last applied Windows Service Pack. The Terminal Services server is supported as an official feature on Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition, Windows 2000 Server, all editions of Windows XP except Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Server 2003, Windows Home Server, on Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs, in Windows Vista Ultimate, Enterprise and Business editions, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 and on Windows 7 Professional and above.[citation needed]

Microsoft provides the client required for connecting to newer RDP versions for downlevel operating systems. Since the server improvements are not available downlevel, the features introduced with each newer RDP version only work on downlevel operating systems when connecting to a higher version RDP server from these older operating systems, and not when using the RDP server in the older operating system.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So in Short it's "MORE" AVAILABLE since XP, but you have on XP to install the MS RDP and like any (OR EVEN MORE) software it use MEMORY and CPU... So In all computer we have here we have DISABLED MS RDP for SECURITY and to SAVE MEMORY.

Most Often in remote we use Teamviewer wich allow using Webcam, sound and it is very secure and like Splashtop it can be used on Win or Mac and even LINUX for Teamviewer.

I understand that M$ want that we use HIS client as RDP and some IT department are AFRAID to not use M$ Software... so they are stuck with "So called" certified software... and if you work for a company like taht you are stuck to use a "Micro%sotft RDP" compatible client.

More Information here for curious geek:
    Install Remote Desktop Web Connection on Windows XP
    Remote Desktop Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Remote Desktop Services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

I use this Cloud Service for my PLAYBOOK BACKUP ----> MINUS 10 GB of free disk space Upload individual files up to 2 GB All Free !
    Unlimited Downloads and Transfers - No Throttle, Resume Upload, Drag and drop file, and Android APK that work on the Playbook
    The best Cloud based service I've seen.
    What the poster fails to mention is that most of these third party apps only let you control the mouse and keyboard, not very secure. RDP actually opens up a session which no one can see on the machines monitor. He also fails to mention that the majority of the time, using RDP has no cost associated with it (except if you happen to own a play book) while most of those other apps have licensing costs. The cost of slashtop x 5000 pc's and servers vs rdc which is preinstalled from MS seems like a no brainer.

The use of M$ is kind of weak as well and you kind of get the feeling that the poster is trying to sell you something or has some other agenda.

If your environment has multple os's such as mac, nix or windows os's that do not support rdp, this rdp client isn't for you. If you are primarly a wintows shop with lots of windows servers with a security department that frowns upon 3rd party apps, then this app is right up your ally.
    Last edited by zorecati; 01-24-12 at 12:42 PM.
    fanatical likes this.
    01-24-12 12:34 PM
    Well, Splashtop works darn good and I don't have to hack anything. Two clicks and my computers (3) come up pretty fast. If there aren't any substantial benefits to change, I guess I'll stick with what I have. Thanks!
    My 2 cents, you've already paid for splashtop and it's working for you and seeing as your windows version doesn't support RDC, stickign with splashtop makes way more sense.
    01-24-12 12:36 PM
    Just bought this, I wouldn't call it a finished app.

It needs more special keys in the menu bar, Ctrl-Alt-Del is dandy, and required, but having ctrl, alt and del modifier keys would be real nice too, as would a tab key, and some function key access. That would make it corporate ready.

Of course PB OS2 having an installable, or better yet, editable keyboard would rock to0.

Sadly, though, this app kinda really belongs in the beta area.

I'm having serious connection issues, timing out every minute to three minutes, so I exit the app and launch the 'Remote RDP Enterprise' Android client I've been using since October or November, and I have no connection problems.

Next I try my Java/Javascript/Html RDP Frankenhack client (running on micro apache) that I used before I found out about an acceptable Andriod client, and that's connecting fine.

But this App? It locks up and times out every minute to three minutes. Frustrating.

Still, I bought it, after all, I started my new year trying to write a native RDP client for the Playbook, and I would have hoped for some support and patience as well had I succeeded ( and I'm not sure I'm done trying )

But it is another Important tickmark.

Paul

PS, can't connect over the internet, had PB on Clear personal hotspot, and had PC hooked to router with a port (My favorite 9009) forwarded to 3389 on the PC, and couldn't get a connection, but the Android app did.

Hopefully he updates his work, anyone know if he's on the CB Forums?
    01-24-12 12:47 PM
    So does this use native MSRDP over local LAN and not some third-party-god-knows-who's-looking-at-it servers to bounce your remote desktop traffic through? If it does - I'm buying it, someone please confirm.
    01-24-12 12:49 PM
    Noob Question-

Anyone have time to do a quick walkthrough of how to setup a new connection to connect your playbook to your home PC?
    01-24-12 12:52 PM
    Noob Question-

Anyone have time to do a quick walkthrough of how to setup a new connection to connect your playbook to your home PC?
    Doing it on your home lan is pretty strait forward. Setting it up so that you can reach your pc from the internet requires knowing some basic networking and knowing how to set up your router to forward ports. Most consumer routers will have a preconfigured Remote Desktop forwarding settings but I don't recommend these settings.
    01-24-12 12:59 PM
    is DNS not set up between the subnets? Can you hit the server using the name vice IP?
    Yes DNS is set up, the issue is not the configuration of the network, as I stated my laptop, or other devices have no issue resolving or connecting across the WIFI and LAN. It also makes no difference if I use IP address vs Name. The RDP on my Ipod Touch has no issue being on WIFI and hitting the LAN as well.
    01-24-12 01:03 PM
    Mikhou also needs a history lesson.

The RDP protocol, like most things Microsoft, was not invented by them

The RDP protocol was invented by Citrix, it started life out as Citrix Metaframe and some other stuff, and became Terminal Services for Windows, after MS whole-scale licensed the technology from Citrix.

Basically RDP hooks the into the operating system at the device driver/GDI level, hopefully passing the raw device calls from the Windows OS to the RDP/ICA client which will then basically (hopefully) emulate parts of the GDI/device driver system.

RDP has a fallback high bandwith mode, that basically works like VNC, sending the entire screen bit map to the client, and it sucks when your on one of those clients.

But man, when your using an RDP client with full protocol support, it's amazing how responsive the remote connection is.

Part 1

Overview of Terminal Services

P.D.
    Innovatology likes this.
    01-24-12 01:03 PM
    FYI, Every Windows version since Windows NT 5.0 (2000) has had RDP support, whether your OS License gives you the right to use the RDP server is another question.

Missing Remote has a great little application that will turn your Windows Terminal Services on, completely, no, console only access only, where you kick off the person using the machine, it works like a Windows Terminal Server, within reason. I think it's got a three connection limit.

P.D.
    emtunc likes this.
    01-24-12 01:12 PM

That's madness - just about every OS of Windows supports RDP connections (I use RDP/RDC just about every day on multiple OS's incl XP, W7 and Server machines)
    01-24-12 01:17 PM
124 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD