Does anyone know if there will be any sort of RDP application that will be able to connect to a windows desktop? I saw the thread about the Citrix app but our office doesnt run a Citrix environment. Thank you.
    scmosher likes this.
    04-11-11 02:42 PM
    I'd be interested in hearing the answer to this question as well!
    04-11-11 09:41 PM
    There's a VNC app: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/34975

But I'd be a little hesitant to use it off the bat until it's updated since it doesn't support authentication, no way Im leaving VNC open on my machine...
    04-11-11 09:44 PM
    I think we will see an app from logMeIn as they already have apps for iPhone/iPad, Android and Windows devices. I have emailed them for confirmation.
    Last edited by PDSchofield; 04-11-11 at 10:14 PM.
    04-11-11 10:11 PM
    04-11-11 10:41 PM
    Last week Citrix confirmed to me by email that their app is BES only, and that GoToMyPC (also Citrix) has no plans for a PlayBook app. LogMeIn responded to my email about 2 months ago saying they had no plans for a PlayBook app, but maybe they'll change their mind.
    04-12-11 12:43 AM
    I asked this same ? months ago - I find is surprising that something this basic is not addressed or an answer is not readily available - I cannot believe how many network support people would buy this device if it did a native RDP - not many small firms use vpns or citrix and vnc is all but dead, the remote services built into server 2008 and W7 are fantastic and perform well so I hope to heck someone is thinking about this or I cannot think of much reason to fork over $ 600 for one.
    04-12-11 10:28 AM
    I asked this question too and got no answers. The ipad has a ton of RDP apps, I will NEED to use for work, the playbook better get some
    04-12-11 11:09 AM
    logmein is great, i use that on my Thunderbolt all the time
    Last edited by howarmat; 04-12-11 at 11:52 AM.
    04-12-11 11:14 AM
    I wonder if RealVNC's Java viewer would work? I've gotta think it would as Java is one of the more native PB languages, and the browser appears to run Java apps fine.

The fly in that ointment could be if the RealVNC encryption requires some API's that aren't supported in the Playbooks JVM.

I haven't seen it mentioned - will Playbook do VPN?
    04-12-11 11:19 AM
    logmein is great, i used that on my Thunderbolt all the time
    I've used an RDP access client on my storm2 before, but it was proprietary via the company I used to contract for.

Now I know logmein is java based, that should work through the native BB browser - no doubt in my mind.

as far as straight up RDP support, I have a feeling we'll see something rolled out soon after release, but I am leaning to the side of RIM will create some kind of native support for this sooner rather than later because it is very possible
    04-12-11 11:48 AM
    RDP would be the preferred method of connection as far as i know Logmein would require the Web while i would like to connect over BES MDS. Let's hope RIM develops something.
    04-12-11 11:59 AM
    Has anyone seen an RDP app yet? This would be a dream come true if one was available at launch.
    04-18-11 01:02 PM
    According to folks at this thread, there will be a Citrix Receiver, hopefully in the late May timeframe, as well as an evenetual client for GoToMyPC, although there is not ETA on that yet...

Citrix Receiver and the RIM PlayBook � ocb - Citrix Community

Just an FYI..

Last week Citrix confirmed to me by email that their app is BES only, and that GoToMyPC (also Citrix) has no plans for a PlayBook app. LogMeIn responded to my email about 2 months ago saying they had no plans for a PlayBook app, but maybe they'll change their mind.
    04-21-11 02:13 PM
    well, it's far from perfect but the logmein web interface works in the PB browser
    04-21-11 08:23 PM
    If someone made a RDP app and it was decent I would pay a good chunk of change for it.
    04-21-11 11:07 PM
    Hopefully, Android support will fix this by the end of the summer.
    04-22-11 08:44 PM
    Yeah I need/want an rdp app for work too! Pro-grade tablet definitely needs an rdp/citrix apps. No question about it!
    04-22-11 09:35 PM
    I need one myself!

Someone will make one, just give it a little time. The PB has only been out for like a week. Just be sure to tell the developers that make RDP apps for Blackberry phones and other mobile platforms that you want one for Playbook. Telling us here in the forum doesn't always show the demand to the developers.......

For what that Playbook can do right now, it is a great machine!!

-m
    04-22-11 11:09 PM
    I need a specific gotomypc.com app for it to make it of much use at all for work. Our system is locked down pretty tight.
    04-23-11 09:47 AM
    RDP will keep me from returning the PB.
    04-23-11 05:02 PM
    well, it's far from perfect but the logmein web interface works in the PB browser
    That's awesome. I had wondered about this. I use logmein PC to PC all the time. How does it compare on the pB browser?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 05:08 PM
    Is anyone actively working on an RDP app? If so has it been submitted yet?
    05-17-11 05:19 PM
    Do you have to use RDP? Could you use a VNC server? Several folks are using this to gain access to their desktops or Servers. The aVNC app thats available is working well for some of us as a VNC client and the the developer is being pretty responsive to our suggestions, requests for enhancements. A full RDP client might be a while in coming, but would be a welcome addition. There are differences between VNC and RDP. You might want to do some research about both.
    05-17-11 07:07 PM
    I dont allow vnc on all of my servers. As Im dealing with Server 2008R2 systems with remote desktop services vnc does me no good. VNC is fine for a workstation where performance is not a major concern. Im just looking for one of the key components for some of our end users which is both hosted and published applications.
    05-17-11 08:39 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD