I couldn't find an answer in the existing posts, so hope someone can help.

I have 4 computers on a Wireless network (LAN) running Windows XP and Windows 7 and use a local ISP for internet. I would like to access the computers through my Playbook.

I installed Remote Desktop for BB Playbook, which requests the following: "Name" - I assume I can choose any unique name for each computer; "Server" - ??; Optionally - "Username," "Password," " Domain" and "Port" - default 3389. The help says that I need to "enter the fully qualified domain name or IP address of the system you are conecting to"

Can anyone explain exactly what information is correct for each of these. I have various IP addresses - one for the Router, one each for the PC's. I don't know what the fully qualified domain name is - is it the ISP .com name or are they referring to the IP address of the router??

Obviously from reviews, many people have set this up without problems, so would appreciate help here. Thanks
    carrickfergus likes this.
    01-26-12 10:21 AM
    Name : Name your computer connection ( Ex.: Kitchen Computer )
    Server : Ip adresse of your isp (not the 192.168.x.x unless you don't need to remotly access your computer when you are outside of you home) http://whatismyipaddress.com/
    Username : Username of your windows session
    Password : Password of you windows session
    Domain : leave blank if your computer is not part of a domain
    Port : You will have to choose different port for each computer you want to remotly access and forward them in your router/firewall. You can leave 3389 ( not recommanded ).
    Resolution : 1024x600 is the playbook resolution but you can change this.
    Color depth : leave default
    console : not sure :P
    01-26-12 10:32 AM
    OP,
    Have you tried Splashtop for the Playbook?
    01-26-12 01:51 PM
    If You are trying to remote desktop locally or from within your house, it fairly simple.
    1) Make sure remote desktop is enabled
    In xp pro (How to use the Remote Desktop feature of Windows XP Professional)
    In Windows 7 (Configure Remote Desktop Access on Windows 7 Systems)
    *** make sure the user has a password enabled even it its "1"
    *** if the user doesnt have a password it won't work.
    2) Make sure your user is in the remote desktop user group (by default all computer admins are added to the group)
    3) Make sure that the windows firewall or third party firewall allows Remote desktop (you can turn off the firewall to if you continue to have issues)
    4) On the machine you want to connect to, go to the start menu and select run (or hit the windows key (windows symbol) and the R key at the same time. The run command window will showup. Type cmd.
    5) at the command prompt (black screen with a blinking cursors behind something like c:\users\your name\
    6) Type ipconfig
    Look at the results and record the ip address of the machine (ie 192.168.0.5 or 172.16.0.15)

7) Open the remote desktop app and create a new connection and enter the ip address of the machine. COnnect and enter your username and password.

If you want to hit your computer remotely you will have to configure NAT/virtual servers setting on your home router to route the IP traffic and ports to the correct computer. If you don't have a static ip addrees from your ISP you will have to use a dynamic IP address service that updates your ip to username at their service (ie adrenaline_x.freedynamicdns.com)
    Grandpapapaya likes this.
    01-26-12 01:58 PM
    Hi, I'm a relative noob when it comes to RDP.

I've got it set up and working, but it only works when I'm connected to the same WiFi network on both my PB and my PC. How do I gain access to my work PC from home? Am I using the wrong IP and/or other information when logging in?

Any help is appreciated and sorry if it's a stupid Q.
    01-27-12 02:13 PM

I've got it set up and working, but it only works when I'm connected to the same WiFi network on both my PB and my PC. How do I gain access to my work PC from home? Am I using the wrong IP and/or other information when logging in?

you need to use the WAN IP address from your router (the IP address that the outside world sees). Not the ip address that your router gives your computer on your LAN. Either use What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... or login to your router

you also have to enable port forwarding to that specific computer using the LAN IP address
    Last edited by braindigger; 01-28-12 at 07:58 PM. Reason: added info
    01-28-12 07:46 PM
    Is remote desktop the same as splashtop, please and thank you.
    01-28-12 08:16 PM
    Is remote desktop the same as splashtop, please and thank you.
    i do not know all of the details, but after reading a little i think they are different. splashtop seems to be more bandwidth and CPU intensive because it sends an image of the screen. Remote desktop actually sends information about what is happening on the screen. here is a link for more details (go to page 5 post #74 by Innovatology)

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...87/index5.html
    Last edited by braindigger; 01-28-12 at 08:40 PM. Reason: link added
    01-28-12 08:39 PM
    i do not know all of the details, but after reading a little i think they are different. splashtop seems to be more bandwidth and CPU intensive because it sends an image of the screen. Remote desktop actually sends information about what is happening on the screen. here is a link for more details (go to page 5 post #74 by Innovatology)

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...87/index5.html
    Thanks so much, I'll be sure to check it out.
    01-28-12 11:55 PM
    So how does this compare to RDM+? Which seems to be a remote desktop service over the internet?

Michael Grant
    01-29-12 01:54 PM
    Name : Name your computer connection ( Ex.: Kitchen Computer )
    Server : Ip adresse of your isp (not the 192.168.x.x unless you don't need to remotly access your computer when you are outside of you home) What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...
    Username : Username of your windows session
    Password : Password of you windows session
    Domain : leave blank if your computer is not part of a domain
    Port : You will have to choose different port for each computer you want to remotly access and forward them in your router/firewall. You can leave 3389 ( not recommanded ).
    Resolution : 1024x600 is the playbook resolution but you can change this.
    Color depth : leave default
    console : not sure :P
    What do you mean by Windows Session?
    02-05-12 07:49 PM
    What do you mean by Windows Session?
    Well, the computer & user account you're trying to remote desktop in to...
    02-06-12 01:53 AM
    i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong here.. i've followed all the steps in the PDF quick starts.. and used this thread for help... i'm still having trouble getting RDM to work on my PB.

Right now:
    RDM+ is running as administrator on my home computer,
    it's added to the firewall exceptions list,
    shows connected with the computer "name" or "number" given;

on the PB:
    I DL'd & paid for the RDM app;
    on start-up i was NOT asked for a user name & pword (this maybe the problem.. but i'm not sure how to get to that screen according to the set up instructions);
    I've tried to set up using my local IP while in my home network, my WAN IP from whatsmyip.com and even the computer # or name which is displayed on RDM+ on the dtop;

After all of this.. i still keep getting the error --> "Could not connect to server"
    Somtimes this message is immediate - basically showing it's not even trying; and sometimes I get the loading screen trying to establish connection, then get the error.

What am I missing??

That was all done within my LAN connection.. and now I'm trying to use the bridge internet connection @ work and no matter which sever # i put in - it immediately says, "Could not connect to server"

I'm using Playbook and my dtop is Windows 7;
    03-06-12 07:35 AM
    <bump>

I have doubt's that RDM's support will answer me. Not even a confirmation e-mail that i sent in the ticket.
    03-06-12 01:16 PM
    i think i found it in the other thread.. disregard my <bump>

google - "how to enable rdp in windows 7" for anyone else.

Hopefully when i get home from work i can try it for success.
    03-06-12 01:27 PM
    Well... I thought i had it... but now home.. and still NOTHING!

Same error.

Now according to this -->How to Enable a Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 7 | eHow.com
    it's not possible with Window 7 Home and that's what I have..
    So have I just wasted my money? or does that just apply for using the internal Windows vitual desktop?
    RDM+ which is running should be taking care of it right?

I also tried to PING my IP - and it works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Especially since I still have no response from RDM themself.
    03-06-12 08:52 PM

You should ask your I.T. guy at work if it CAN be done first. There may be security set up that will prevent you from connecting. If there is no security, he will still need to set up port forwarding for you so that the router knows what computer to send your request (Remote desktop) from the internet to.
    03-07-12 02:22 AM
    Well... I thought i had it... but now home.. and still NOTHING!

Same error.

Now according to this -->How to Enable a Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 7 | eHow.com
    it's not possible with Window 7 Home and that's what I have..
    So have I just wasted my money? or does that just apply for using the internal Windows vitual desktop?
    RDM+ which is running should be taking care of it right?

I also tried to PING my IP - and it works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Especially since I still have no response from RDM themself.
    I use remote desktop between Windows 7, and Win XP Everyday....so, I dunno who told you that but their wrong.
    You need to have "allow remote assistence" checked in control panel/system (look on the left of the screen for remote settings.
    Make sure the IP address you are using is correct. (if your trying to connect from outside your network, you need the ip address the world see's.) Google whats my ip address.
    Make sure port forwarding (iof yur behind a router) is set up on your router. Otherwise it doesnt know where to send the remote desktop request to.
    That should work.
    Disclaimer: I've never used RDM+ so ia make no gurantee that it will work. I use remote desktop in windows.
    03-07-12 02:35 AM
    You can also try this MS download, scroll down to bottom, Find more... Downloads

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oads/windows-7
    Last edited by castleruins; 03-07-12 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Fix link
    03-07-12 05:45 AM
    unfortunatley...

Still dealing with this issue.. I'm ready to give up.

Tried the Microsoft site DL - says the application is already on my computer -I guess since I already have SP1;

Can anyone think of anything i'm missing here? Or shall I try to get my refund from BB?
    03-07-12 07:15 PM
    I'm using a new app "My Remote Desktop Connection" and it' works pretty well.
    03-08-12 04:40 PM
    Unfortunately if you are running windows 7 Home edition, it won't allow you to host a connection. You'll need to upgrade your OS.
    Splashtop may be easier at this point.
    03-13-12 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD