I can see and hear the caller while in the ReelPortal app on my Playbook, but they can't see me on their laptop.

I toggled the video button for camera 1 and for camera 2, but neither camera on the Playbook seem to be sending video to the laptop.

Anyone else have this issue and/or any solutions?

Thanks
    12-26-11 02:51 PM
    I've been coming back to this all day hoping to see an answer. My son is in Miami and we tried it on our Playbooks (Merry Xmas son!) with worst results: No sound, no video, just text on both ends.
    12-26-11 06:57 PM
    I used the app on 25th dec to chat with my friends, it worked alright. Camera worked.
    12-26-11 07:49 PM
    By default, the camera and mic are disabled for privacy. On the bottom left, you should see two red icons at the bottom of the toolbar. Click the upper one to toggle the mic off and on. The lower icon is the camera and is a three-way toggle - front, back off.

Hope that helps.
    12-26-11 07:52 PM
    From what I have read in other places, you can specify a room, say you call it Playbook. If you have specified a room but the people you are talking to aren' in that room, then you can see them but they can't see you. I know it sounds a little strange, but I think when you set up the program, you are supposed to designate a room or something.

I just came across this app and wondered why there aren't more threads about it considering how up in arms everyone is about Skype not having an app for the Playbook.

Here is the link explaining how to use it: Reel Talk - www.ReelPortal.com: How to Use

Is this a good alternative to Skype? I understand it lets you adjust the video settings as well.

Love to hear how many people are using this and what they think of it.

I have emailed the developer and hope he will join this thread to let us know about the app.
    Last edited by crackberryjill; 12-26-11 at 08:15 PM.
    12-26-11 08:10 PM
    Thanks Jill for calling to my attention regarding this thread.

If your camera is on and you can see yourself, but the other end can't, then it may be due to P2P issue:

Reel Talk - www.ReelPortal.com: Not Getting Video?

I had explained this months ago on various threads in this forum, but the OP problem is a little unique in that it works for one direction, but not the other.

Please follow up whether turning P2P off works for you.

BTW Jill, you are a little off regarding the room. If you're not in a room, no one knows you are on and you aren't connected to anyone, unless you manually place a call to a specific user (nick). You automatically connect to everyone in a (private) room, when you join that room.
    12-26-11 10:27 PM
    Did you give the Reelportal app permission to the camera? It should have prompted you on initial launch. You can check under Settings -> Security ->Application Permissions
    pbnb likes this.
    12-26-11 10:36 PM
    I've been coming back to this all day hoping to see an answer. My son is in Miami and we tried it on our Playbooks (Merry Xmas son!) with worst results: No sound, no video, just text on both ends.
    if you both have playbooks...just use the native video chat app??
    12-27-11 08:21 AM
    if you both have playbooks...just use the native video chat app??
    Well, originally he set his up using my BBID to have access to all my apps (paid: a lot!), so Video Chat was out. Last night he wiped his Playbook, set it up using his own BBID and we video chatted. I suppose I'll get him a secured card that he can attached to his App World. Oh, well!
    12-27-11 08:26 AM
    Yup..it was the permissions that were blocking the cameras on my Playbook.
    ReelPortal works as intended now.

Thanks for your help ScionicMan.
    12-27-11 11:52 AM
    Glad I could help. This is what this board is supposed to be for.
    12-27-11 02:59 PM
    Thanks to all!I'll give it another go as soon as I get a chance. One more question? How does it compare to Video Chat? Better, worse or same?
    12-27-11 03:37 PM
    I think the video quality is better with the native app, but reelportal is a good cross-platform alternative.
    12-27-11 03:53 PM
    so reelportal is a good videochat app ??
    12-27-11 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD