I just found this realportal videochat and conference app on app store which utilizes adobe air to do video chat...and it works....it works on my pc n pb....just wanted to share this info with all you guys.
    05-05-11 05:11 AM
    since his app works on android as well, ppl who have android devices please do drop a line and let us know if this works on android.
    05-05-11 06:21 AM
    Awesome! Can't wait to try it out. I was hoping there would be a video conferencing app that worked with my PC before I travel again for work. One of my main reasons for buying the PB was to video chat with my kids while I'm away!
    05-05-11 07:03 AM
    i have not explored this much, but downloaded to take a peak. this app also supports text chat as well, looks promising.
    05-05-11 07:08 AM
    Link?? i can't seem to find it

**** Found it .... REELportal
    Last edited by Peppe; 05-05-11 at 08:26 AM.
    05-05-11 08:20 AM
    Hey, since if anyone wants to try this out to see if it works, enter "playbook" as a room name.
    05-05-11 10:34 AM
    Tried it with a few guys in the Playbook room a minute ago.. A few thoughts.

- First, not a bad app overall but user interface is a bit confusing and no echo suppression, so use your headphones to avoid feedback issues
    - Audio was cutting in and out for me, but could be due to fact that firewall forced me to turn off p2p mode..
    - The buttons along the left side let you turn different features on and off
    - You can change which contact's video is showing the large center area by tapping people's face on the right side..
    - Overall, not a bad app! Looking forward to trying it from home where there is not a firewall issue

Anyone else have tips or thoughts to share?
    05-05-11 11:57 AM
    Linkage please!!!!
    05-05-11 03:12 PM
    Just go to AppWorld on your PB and search for "ReelPortal" or go to ReelPortal.com on your desktop for the PC version..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 03:14 PM
    Well I downloaded this app sometime ago while i was in india... now i m bak to dubai and unfortunately had to do a security wipe... (forgot to backup----- I know its a crime),now i cant seem to find the app on app world .... in my uninstalled apps it shows the app as not supported for your device profile????? any idea guys whats up? i tried a vpn to see if this was a location block but that dint seem to work either... any ideas are appreciated...
    05-17-11 08:55 AM
    Maybe I am stupid but:
    - I followed instructions, tried it on my own, connected my laptop and then the PB
    - It says that we both are connected, but I cannot see the other

I see a colour screen with the instructions. It keeps saying that both persons (no matter if both are myself) are connected. I just cannot see. Help please.
    05-17-11 09:06 AM
    Maybe I am stupid but:
    - I followed instructions, tried it on my own, connected my laptop and then the PB
    - It says that we both are connected, but I cannot see the other

I see a colour screen with the instructions. It keeps saying that both persons (no matter if both are myself) are connected. I just cannot see. Help please.
    Perhaps you forgot to turn on the webcam (button 10 should be green)?
    05-17-11 10:31 AM
    No. I pushed the green mic and cam in both PB and computer.
    Must be something else.
    05-17-11 11:04 AM
    If button 10 is green, and you can see your own webcam, but the other end can't see it, then perhaps firewall issue. I'd suggest try turn off P2P via button 7.

If you can't see your own webcam even when button 10 is green, can you check no other app is using the camera?
    Last edited by reelportal; 05-17-11 at 01:50 PM.
    05-17-11 01:45 PM
    Well I downloaded this app sometime ago while i was in india... now i m bak to dubai and unfortunately had to do a security wipe... (forgot to backup----- I know its a crime),now i cant seem to find the app on app world .... in my uninstalled apps it shows the app as not supported for your device profile????? any idea guys whats up? i tried a vpn to see if this was a location block but that dint seem to work either... any ideas are appreciated...
    I think it's blocked due to the country. This is the list from ReelPortal page on App World:

Supported Countries
    All countries except:
    Bahrain
    Jordan
    Kuwait
    Qatar
    United Arab Emirates
    05-17-11 10:43 PM
    I was able to bypass country restrictions, downloaded it, and then made it work in the UAE.
    05-18-11 02:03 AM
    Of all the people I would like to video chat with none of them have (or want) headsets and not a one of them have the ability to engage any kind of echo cancellation. As a result the couple of times I've tried Reel Portal the audio has caused us to break off the conversation.
    05-18-11 09:17 PM
    I was able to bypass country restrictions, downloaded it, and then made it work in the UAE.
    How did u do that? VPN? which one did u use ... could you please give us the details,
    05-19-11 07:44 AM
    Of all the people I would like to video chat with none of them have (or want) headsets and not a one of them have the ability to engage any kind of echo cancellation. As a result the couple of times I've tried Reel Portal the audio has caused us to break off the conversation.
    Sorry to hear that. ReelPortal will support echo cancellation on PC soon (it will actually rely on Adobe Flash 10.3 to do it). I hope Adobe will add the feature to their AIR version for PC and Mobile devices soon.

My rant:

I think doing echo cancellation in software is a poor approach, as it's slow and will drain more cpu/battery. Since the hardware to do echo cancellation is practically on every mobile phone, and probably cost only a few pennies, hardware makers should incorporate it into every computing device. Make you wonder why they don't do it.

I do have a few PCs that have it though:
    - Asus 1000HE netbook (produced in ~2009)
    - MSI Wind U90 netbook (produced in ~2008)
    - Cheapo Compaq Celeron notebook (produced in ~2007)

Surprisingly, the new iMac (2011) doesn't have it . I'd suggest check for this feature in your future purchases.
    05-19-11 02:08 PM
    Echo cancellation is now implemented for Flash 10.3 (web browser), on desktop PC. Please provide feedback (the text kind :]) if you try.

More info: Reel Talk - www.ReelPortal.com: Echo Cancellation Update
    05-22-11 12:49 AM
    Grt news reelportal...thank you for that.... any idea if this is possible in the playbook as well without the headphones or is that not possible at all....

btw i ve been using reelportal to talk to my folks back home and i m glad i found it.
    05-22-11 01:45 AM
    Grt news reelportal...thank you for that.... any idea if this is possible in the playbook as well without the headphones or is that not possible at all....

btw i ve been using reelportal to talk to my folks back home and i m glad i found it.
    It's definitely possible, but we'd have to wait for Adobe to put it in AIR. It's just a matter of when.

Glad it's useful for you.
    05-22-11 04:21 PM
    What ports etc does this use? It hangs on my company network so i'm assume it's getting blocked but I don't know what ports or what it's using
    07-14-11 11:13 AM
    Port 1935 connects to the ReelPortal server connection. But for P2P
    connection, it'd also need to go through Adobe Cirrus server:

1) The initial connection to Cirrus for a fingerprint ID connected
    with a port in the range of 10000-10100
    2) The p2p connections were established based on the fingerprint ID
    anywhere between 1024-65535
    07-14-11 09:59 PM
    Seems to be a nice app, but I can't get back to the public rooms. They are no longer an option in the menu, which now begins with private rooms. Any advice?
    01-21-12 03:04 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD