I deleted this app some time ago. As with most things on the Playbook, it was clear the developer has or had no plans on supporting the Playbook. Its a pity as the app worked flawlessly and provided an excellent example of how a magazine could work on the Playbook. I would have easily subscribed to Readers Digest if it meant I could view their pubs on the Playbook. But given that it is never or at least not likely to be updated again, its another deleted app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 02:28 PM
    I deleted this app some time ago. As with most things on the Playbook, it was clear the developer has or had no plans on supporting the Playbook. Its a pity as the app worked flawlessly and provided an excellent example of how a magazine could work on the Playbook. I would have easily subscribed to Readers Digest if it meant I could view their pubs on the Playbook. But given that it is never or at least not likely to be updated again, its another deleted app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yup agreed. I really enjoyed it when I first downloaded it but then nothing from the developers. Too bad. The PB could really use more magazine apps like that.
    08-15-11 03:18 PM
    Reader's Digest is pretty low on my list of interests, but I may give it a look anyway. It would sure be nice to see other magazines available in this format...
    08-15-11 04:38 PM
    I just downloaded this app, says 6 mb. Then 310 mb! I do like it!
    Last edited by Dadymon; 08-16-11 at 05:27 PM.
    08-16-11 05:12 PM
    I have downloaded the Reader's Digest app about 6 hours ago, but it still has not downloaded the magazine...I have had a strong wi-fi signal. It is not supported at all anymore?
    09-04-11 10:03 PM
    downloaded the app but it contains nothing. is this country restricted again?
    09-04-11 11:44 PM
    - My screen just stays blank also.
    - Shows a 6 meg download.
    - For some reason it forces my App World screen to portrait mode.
    - Tried reload several times, same thing.

Time for it to go bye bye!
    09-06-11 12:14 PM
    after you download the app [6MB or so] from appworld, open it from the playbook and you will then have to download the entire magazine [around 350MB] through the 6MB app you downloaded

hope that made sense
    09-06-11 11:36 PM
    Has anyone been able to get anything other than the initial volume? I looked at it and although I'm not a RD reader it does look amazing. The odd thing is if you look at the digital editions PB is not listed iPad, Kindle, Nook, and something called a Zineo are listed. Why would they go through the trouble of developing and showcasing an app for the PB only to let it die on the vine?
    09-07-11 12:01 AM
    Has anyone been able to get anything other than the initial volume? I looked at it and although I'm not a RD reader it does look amazing. The odd thing is if you look at the digital editions PB is not listed iPad, Kindle, Nook, and something called a Zineo are listed. Why would they go through the trouble of developing and showcasing an app for the PB only to let it die on the vine?
    No one has been able to get anything beyond the initial volume - nothing else was released.

Yes, it did and is an amazing app that was very solidily designed, well thought out, and implemented. It quite frankly demonstrated who magazines could be brought to the Playbook and have them work well and look good.

Only Readers Digest can speculate on going through the trouble of developing an app. My speculation is that they thought the Playbook would be selling more and be receiving more support than it has and that by going a separate route, i.e, have people pay them directly for their subscriptions, it would have been worthwhile. Given the fact that nothing has been updated, and any email questions to the company have gone unanswered, I would say that its been decided that it is no longer worth it - the demand for the Playbook is not there; the demand for the app is not there; the demand for paid subscriptions is not there. In short, they tested the market and the market does not support it.

In any event, in a month and a bit, the problem will be rendered moot as Zinio, which already has paid for, and developed, a successful magazine app for tablets, and is in the process of bringing the same design to the Playbook, will be available. People can subscribe to readers digest that way - Zinio of course will receive a portion of the subscription rate while the rest goes to Readers Digest.

Given the numbers, it probably makes more sense for Readers Digest to use an existing magazine app with a proven track record then developing their own dedicated version for the Playbook.
    09-07-11 01:25 AM
    Correction - Reader's Digest app WAS amazing. It would have been good even if there was a paid subscription

It hasn't been updated in almost five months so it is basically crap now.

Unfortunately Readers digest have no plans to provide any further updates to this app since in their view the playbook's dismal sales is not worth their effort to support this app any longer.
    09-07-11 11:56 AM
    Reader's Digest should make their files generic in format so they can be downloaded either for Android, iOS, Windows and/or QNX platform... only the application will be designed exclusively...

What a waste excellent application...
    09-07-11 01:09 PM
    i get a black screen when i open. must i have a subscription?
    09-07-11 01:32 PM
    i get a black screen when i open. must i have a subscription?
    No you do not need a subscription. When you download the app and open it up, you should be able to download a special edition of Readers Digest that was created for the Playbook. There is no charge for this.
    09-07-11 08:32 PM
    No you do not need a subscription. When you download the app and open it up, you should be able to download a special edition of Readers Digest that was created for the Playbook. There is no charge for this.

Thank you, is this download within the app itself? When I start the app, I get the readers digest splash, then just a black screen.

Thanks again
    09-07-11 09:10 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD