I'm now a happy camper. There was always something missing on my Playbook and that was remote access to work. Our company is behind a proxy and strict firewall rules. Then came RDM+ and access is painless! It supports proxy tunneling and its keyboard input and UI is just great for my needs. I just did a Change Request while on the bus while monitoring the healt of servers! Thanks Shape Services!

Tip: Change your work computer resolution to 1024x768 for optimum speed. (no, it doesn't support changing resolution on connect like Splashtop)

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-07-12 05:26 AM
    Can you access USB connected drives? Tia
    03-07-12 07:22 AM
    So, other than the experience you posted, how does it work? Do you or have you used RDM+ for the Blackberry smartphone and what are the differences/comparisons between the tablet and smartphone versions, if any?

Reason I ask is that I have been trying to decide on a remote desktop app for use on my Playbook and have been looking at the available options.

If you could provide more info and details, I would appreciated it. I have RDM+ for my smartphone and love it, just the screen size makes maneuvering more challenging.
    03-07-12 07:55 AM
    Why can't these apps have "trial mode" added? If it works as described, $9.99 is not a bad cost, but the rating on App world can't convince me to commit to it without some hands-on experience.
    Fuzzballz, Hamp and MaxGunner like this.
    03-07-12 08:10 AM
    I have used both and in my opinion splashtop is better. The graphics resolution and the interface. In splashtop the ui is as seemless as touchscreen windows while in rdm the use of a hub (on screen buttons) makes it more "troublesome" to use. Both programs are very useful solutions but for my taste splashtop is better (i do not have to go through company server so in that aspect i cannot know how it works).
    fbloise likes this.
    03-07-12 10:39 AM
    Just spent a couple of hours with Logmein, I think it will work okay for occasional use.
    The UI is surprisingly usable. I have a dual monitor setup and it works fine.
    I trIed it over WiFi and I also tethered with my 9780, Both Worked fine.
    I may try others to determine my OPtions but right now I have a useful remote solution. All of the testing I did I used my 9780 as the input device, no problems at all.
    03-07-12 10:52 PM
    Just spent a couple of hours with Logmein, I think it will work okay for occasional use.
    The UI is surprisingly usable. I have a dual monitor setup and it works fine.
    I trIed it over WiFi and I also tethered with my 9780, Both Worked fine.
    I may try others to determine my OPtions but right now I have a useful remote solution. All of the testing I did I used my 9780 as the input device, no problems at all.
    Really? I tried logmein several times on my playbook, and NEVER found it to be functional enough to get any work done. Splashtop is great, downloaded it on day one of its release. Although it certainly is only good for emergency use, its leaps ahead of the logmein web login IMO.
    03-07-12 11:00 PM
    Have any of you tried RDP Enterprise, sideloaded Android app?? I'm just curious. It works surprisingly well, and VERY usable UI.
    03-07-12 11:16 PM
    I have Splashtop HD and the only issue I have with it is that is sometimes lags quite badly while clicking or scrolling.

How bad is the lagging in RDM+?? I might consider getting if it is more efficient than Splashtop HD.
    03-07-12 11:32 PM
    If you want full 1024x600, can you not just add custom resolution for the desktop? i was able to do that on my nvidia graphics settings, add 1024x600 and if you have ATi card, you can use my software here. Intel graphics has this setting built into their control panel as well.

I got 1024x600 on Splashtop, if RDM+ is better, I might switch...
    03-07-12 11:36 PM
    Really? I tried logmein several times on my playbook, and NEVER found it to be functional enough to get any work done. Splashtop is great, downloaded it on day one of its release. Although it certainly is only good for emergency use, its leaps ahead of the logmein web login IMO.
    Thanks for the feedback. I have nothing to compare it to so your additional input would be appreciated. What didn't work for you as well when you used Logmein? Please tell us more.

Logmein seems to have enough screen controls (magnify, zoom, monitor selection etc) that make it possible to edit a .xls on the 7" display. Easy setup for sure.
    03-08-12 07:25 AM
    So, there is a client on the Playbook and on the work desktop? Are you using the tether or bridge option? I am looking at doing the same thing for work and we have very tight security also.
    03-08-12 08:14 AM
    I agree with splashtop being much smoother than rdm but they're for different purposes. Splashtop I use for working at the office so I don't have to sit in front of the office. RDM is great for accessing when I'm not at the office. I think the price of both are low enough having both is acceptable. (remember buying software at the store? 5 to 10 dollars is pretty good.)
    03-08-12 08:25 AM
    Splashtop works fine for my personal needs. However, a sysadmin isn't going to use anything less than RDM in my opinion. The main reason is that they don't have time to deploy software to countless remote workstations. So, RDM is likely the choice for IT while Splashtop is the choice for people like me - who need easy and friendly UI for installation and use.

I only have two issues / desires for Splashtop:
    1) I wish I could use a combo (ctrl + alt + del.) to unlock a my PC when it is in screen saver mode. I normally leave my PC at home with a 15 minute lock on it, so when it goes into screen saver mode and I'm out on the road... no luck. You have to leave it in "blank" mode with no "on resume, display logon screen".
    2) It would be ideal if you could use the BB remote with Splashtop. It would be a bit more precise to have a "mouse" pointer when making acute selections.

The only way I can see RDM "smashing" Splashtop for productivity is in the area of single install for IT - and being able to control multiple workstations without loading any additional software on the client since the functionality is likely built into Windows workstations the IT staff is administrating. For the single user, I beleive Splashtop is the way to go.
    03-08-12 09:01 AM
    So, RDP or RDM for business use? I need to connect to my desktop remotely. I can use bridge or tethering through my BB. I understand RDP will not work through the bridge yet. IT will need to approve. Which product would be recommended as I would be the early adopter? Thanks.
    bsdnix likes this.
    03-08-12 10:14 AM
    This worked for me, I've always left my PC locked. Did you do a swiped down to get the extra keys and just press CAD at the same time ?

1) I wish I could use a combo (ctrl + alt + del.) to unlock a my PC when it is in screen saver mode. I normally leave my PC at home with a 15 minute lock on it, so when it goes into screen saver mode and I'm out on the road... no luck. You have to leave it in "blank" mode with no "on resume, display logon screen".
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    03-08-12 12:03 PM
    Have any of you tried RDP Enterprise, sideloaded Android app?? I'm just curious. It works surprisingly well, and VERY usable UI.
    Yes, I've been running it for a while now, in tandem with Todd Grayson's Remote Desktop for Playbook.

RDP Enterprise has touch and hold right click features, works very well. I can actually cut and paste in documents and create full spreadsheets from .csv files through it.

I find it will occasionally stop responding, and I have to exit and re-connect. Very occasionally, the Android runtime won't re-connect and I use RDP for Playbook to carry on.

Both are proper RDP clients that don't require server programs installed on the target machine. I was using AVNC client initially, but the interface isn't as good as either RDP program. Both RDP programs support pinch zoom desktops, RDP for Playbook is better at rendering the re-sized desktop, RDP Enterprise gets pixellated when you change desktop size.

No experience with RDM+
    03-08-12 12:10 PM
    Can you access USB connected drives? Tia
    I have two attached usb hard drives and have no issues accessing them
    03-08-12 05:29 PM

Not only have I used it, but I was the one to originally convert it from Android to Playbook while using the OS2 beta.

I love it, works great, supports the built in Remote Desktop of windows so no additional software on the desktop is required. And it's free...

Bryan
    03-08-12 09:00 PM
    I chose RDM over Splashtop since it would constantly fail to connect, there was constant lag and I disliked installing additional software. I only wish RDM would incorporate the gestures that splashtop has.
    03-08-12 09:05 PM
    does RDM work over the BB Bridge? I also use Todd Grayson's Remote Desktop, but found that it won't route over my BB Bridge.
    03-08-12 09:24 PM
    the problem with Splashtop is it uses Googletalk for remote access while outside the LAN. That won't work in a corporate environment since GT uses port 5222 (I may be wrong with the port #). RDM+ on the other hand has a setting to put an HTTP proxy.

I love the keyboard input of RDM because like an ssh client, it doesn't send keystrokes to the remote pc realtime. this will allow you to type efficiently since you don't have to wait for the remote computer to receceive what you're typing. Once your done wih the complete string, you can just hit the send keystrokes button, then tap the enter icon. this is perfect for terminal access.

I'll try adding a custom resolution to my work PC. It uses Intel graphics.
    03-08-12 09:24 PM
    Someone requested the BAR file to sideload RDP Enterprise. It's attached - just rename from *.zip to *.bar
    03-08-12 09:37 PM
    Do any of these apps keep the Playbook screen awake? For what I need to use it for, I can't have the screen timing out every 5 minutes. Why there isnt a "never" option I'll never know.
    03-08-12 10:49 PM
    This worked for me, I've always left my PC locked. Did you do a swiped down to get the extra keys and just press CAD at the same time ?
    Wait! What? Are you serious?

I will try first thing in AM. So excited to know about that in Splashtop. I had no idea...

Thanks!
    03-08-12 10:58 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD