Yeah, this tool looks pretty cool and is really targetted to a different audience than their pure RDP client. Shape currently has clients for RDM, VNC and RDP. So far they have only released RDM+ for the Playbook. I hope it does well so that they have an incentive to port their pure RDP client over.

For those not familiar with the differences in the protocols, here is my understanding. Please take this with a grain of salt since I could get some of it wrong.

VNC is an open source remote desktop protocol. It has servers and clients available on all kinds of platforms and lots of flavors of both. The Playbook currently as two solid VNC client apps, namely aVNC and IMT-VNC(free). Installing it for use on your local network is pretty easy, but installing it for remote network access requires port forwarding on the router and or modem used in front of your desktop. I currently use IMT-VNC to access my laptop at home from the road and it works quite well, although the setup would be challenging for someone who isn't familiar with port forwarding and dynamic DNS issues. If you search for VNC you will see a thread where I've been trying to help some people get this setup and they do struggle with some of the concepts.

RDP is a remote desktop protocol that is proprietary to Microsoft, I believe, and the server software is already built in to many versions of windows. It also requires port forwarding and such to work from a remote location. It is often preferred by Windows system admins since the server software comes pre-installed on most Windows servers. Many folks here are hoping for a RDP client for Playbook so they can manage their windows servers remotely without having to install any additional software on the desktop/server machines.

RDM+, which is what Shape services has just released, is their own proprietary tool, I believe, that is really targetted at making it easier for non network admin folks to gain remote access to their own machines at home without having to learn all the intricacies of port forwarding and dynamic DNS and such. You buy the $9.99 app for your playbook and you install a free app on your home machines. There are servers that both systems talk to on the internet to make the connection, so you don't need ports forwarded, etc.. So this is really more for the casual user. It seems like a great solution for anyone who needs access to their machine from the road but doesn't want to deal with any hassle to set it all up.

Hope that clarifies things a bit..

If anyone tries out this RDM+ app, please give us a review.. Does it support right click actions? Does it support audio forwarding? What can it do and what does it not do? What is your overall impression of the performance? Let us know your thoughts! I will likely recommend it to some of the people struggling to get VNC setup for remote access if it works well.
    Last edited by Mojoski; 08-05-11 at 07:05 AM.
    Matt J likes this.
    08-05-11 07:01 AM
    If anyone tries out this RDM+ app, please give us a review.. Does it support right click actions? Does it support audio forwarding? What can it do and what does it not do? What is your overall impression of the performance? Let us know your thoughts! I will likely recommend it to some of the people struggling to get VNC setup for remote access if it works well.
    It does support all mouse actions, including single-click, double-click and right-click. It also has the ability to call up "Esc", "PgUp", "PgDn", "X", "Tab", "Del", "Crtl-Esc", "Alt-F4" and "Ctrl+Alt+Del" right from the screen.

I can do everything on RDM+ that I can do on my PC. There doesn't seem to be any audio forwarding, and I didn't expect it anyway. The speed is good. Not lightning fast, but perfectly reasonable.

The setup is easy. It took me 10 minutes, and this included download times.
    Mojoski likes this.
    08-05-11 07:50 AM
    DAMN was really hoping for audio, I want to watch my Slingbox thru it.
    08-05-11 08:03 AM
    Another feature is that you can see who is connected to your PC. There is a little icon next to the clock that shows active connections.
    08-05-11 08:05 AM
    I was wondering if someone could tell me how secure the connection between the two devices is for RDM+? Do what kind of encryption do they use?
    08-05-11 10:52 AM
    I don't think I need or want this, I'm hoping that teamviewer will be avail at some point for the playbook.
    08-05-11 11:03 AM
    anybody getting error 579024? Can't seem to purchase the app at first I was getting 3300 like most others now this.
    08-05-11 11:22 AM
    Non tech guy for sure would describe me... sorely do want remote access (use logmein for netbook, which works fine).

I bit and paid for RDM+ desktop and downloaded on my playbook... then went to my desktop for the free download.... very confused about what and how to add the computer.... (thought I did the download correct for Windows and it did install). Now I cannot figure out how to add a computer from my playbook, invalid account # messages.....you guys who did in 10 minutes... any help would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, when I "registered", shape support told me they would email a confirmation in just a few minutes - to complete the process?.. never did receive.

did a support email followup asking for help.. very frustrating that they promise to respond within 2 business days.... that's an eternity...
    Of course absolutely no phone # available anywhere at Shape Support site...
    08-05-11 11:50 AM
    anybody getting error 579024? Can't seem to purchase the app at first I was getting 3300 like most others now this.
    figured it out, i had to click buy then change then reauthenticate my paypal account (thought i'd share incase it happens to anyone else).
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    08-05-11 12:20 PM
    Non tech guy for sure would describe me... sorely do want remote access (use logmein for netbook, which works fine).

I bit and paid for RDM+ desktop and downloaded on my playbook... then went to my desktop for the free download.... very confused about what and how to add the computer.... (thought I did the download correct for Windows and it did install). Now I cannot figure out how to add a computer from my playbook, invalid account # messages.....you guys who did in 10 minutes... any help would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, when I "registered", shape support told me they would email a confirmation in just a few minutes - to complete the process?.. never did receive.

did a support email followup asking for help.. very frustrating that they promise to respond within 2 business days.... that's an eternity...
    Of course absolutely no phone # available anywhere at Shape Support site...
    So you double clicked on the icon and got the computer number and input it on the PB in the app? If you already have done so, try editing it and re-enter the password and save. Then try connecting again.
    08-05-11 01:29 PM
    This version pales in comparison to what the smartphone version can do...
    08-05-11 01:54 PM
    I was wondering if someone could tell me how secure the connection between the two devices is for RDM+? Do what kind of encryption do they use?
    Their website says they use 128-bit encryption between the mobile device and their server and between their server and your computer. They say that none of your info is ever stored on their servers and that they cannot bypass the encryption. (I don't know how accurate this is but it was in the FAQ section on their website...)
    08-05-11 05:04 PM
    yeah i bought it hoping id be able to stream my netflix on my pb...but its terribly slooooooow for my tastes
    08-05-11 11:44 PM
    figured it out, i had to click buy then change then reauthenticate my paypal account (thought i'd share incase it happens to anyone else).
    Thanks. Worked for me. I had no idea why it was doing that!
    08-06-11 04:05 PM
    3DES algorithm with 128 bits key.
    08-06-11 04:16 PM
    This version pales in comparison to what the smartphone version can do...
    Bare with me YET AGAIN! Can you elaborate on that? What are the missing features or what is it that it does not do so well?
    08-06-11 06:30 PM
    Anyone able to post a review? I am pessimistically thinking this will offer only limited functionality. I really want this to work, but if its anything like Logmein on the PB it will be useless to me.

Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but I'm looking for full access the same way a remote desktop connection works on a pc.
    08-07-11 09:48 AM
    It does support all mouse actions, including single-click, double-click and right-click. It also has the ability to call up "Esc", "PgUp", "PgDn", "X", "Tab", "Del", "Crtl-Esc", "Alt-F4" and "Ctrl+Alt+Del" right from the screen.

I can do everything on RDM+ that I can do on my PC. There doesn't seem to be any audio forwarding, and I didn't expect it anyway. The speed is good. Not lightning fast, but perfectly reasonable.

The setup is easy. It took me 10 minutes, and this included download times.
    Can you work in remote programs on RDM+? (like Quicken, Office programs, etc?) any idea if I will be able to access my corporate network drives and not just my company pc? (I can access these using Remote desktop connection on my personal pc)

If I can do these $10 is a bargain!
    08-07-11 10:04 AM
    Can you work in remote programs on RDM+? (like Quicken, Office programs, etc?) any idea if I will be able to access my corporate network drives and not just my company pc? (I can access these using Remote desktop connection on my personal pc)

If I can do these $10 is a bargain!
    The only thing you need to take into account is whether or not your company IT team will allow you to install the RDM+ Desktop app. If they are cool with it then you should be able to do anything you need to do, short of streaming media..

Not sure why anyone in this thread would have expected that to work very well.
    Altarocks likes this.
    08-07-11 04:43 PM
    This app got me all excited and then when I looked into it deeper and found out it's not RDP, it was kind of a letdown.

Good to have an option for people that want VNC like access to their computer that's encrypted, but it's not going to help my need for an actual RDP client.

Anyone compared the speed vs VNC? Is it faster or slower? I know vnc speed stinks without an installed video accelerator on the host system, and I'm guessing their desktop app uses one to maintain good speeds.
    08-07-11 04:52 PM
    The only thing you need to take into account is whether or not your company IT team will allow you to install the RDM+ Desktop app. If they are cool with it then you should be able to do anything you need to do, short of streaming media..

Not sure why anyone in this thread would have expected that to work very well.
    I'm fortunate to work for a company with almost no IT restrictions. They don't limit any add-on pc software at all, nor do they restrict phone apps, OS leaks, etc. There is a great deal of trust granted and reciprocated. I was able to install and use the Logmein leak; it just didn't work very well on the PB.

This sounds too good to be true, but for $10 I'll give it a go.
    determined61 likes this.
    08-07-11 05:37 PM
    Haven't set this up yet for my work PC, but after testing it on my personal PC I gotta say this is very impressive. I tried it out with a handful of programs, and using Quicken extensively. I could do everything on it that I could directly from my laptop. A few people commented on the lag, but it's only a couple seconds and not an impact to me. Maybe this will get a little slower when my PB and PC aren't on the same WiFi network, but so far I really like what I see.
    08-07-11 07:52 PM
    Has anyone figured out how to enter text into a remote computer using RDM+? I was able to get the qp working but wasn't able to use it to enter my GMail user id and password into the remote computer. (Could enter them into the RDM+ input box but couldn't transfer them into the GMail input boxes on the remote computer.)They have no documentation on how to use the ap once it's installed and it's really not very intuitive.
    08-07-11 07:55 PM
    Did you touch the GM input box on your PB screen before you entered the text? It sounds like you figured out to hit the "T" button to be able to enter text, but I think you need to use your touch screen first to let the program know where the input gets applied.
    08-07-11 10:23 PM
    I got it. Not for fun. Need to use a website for work that only supports explorer until xmas. RDM+ works really well. Took the street car across downtown and it still worked.....
    Good stuff.....
    08-07-11 11:15 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD