If you think your prices are bad ours are worse in the uk. They have just converted the $ to the pound. So we pay $7.5 for angry birds or $15 for monopoly. Basically everything is 50% more.
    01-03-12 06:48 AM
    I understand the point you are making, but at least try to make your analogies somewhat reasonable.
    How about "Who goes into Subway with no wallet, and expects to leave with a sandwich"?

I have used my playbook for six months now and love it. Most of what I downloaded was free, and consequently functional. This weekend I bought Angry Birds (so shoot me - I enjoy it!), What's Up from BuzzStarField, and I've previously bought Blaq.

The difference between the free and paid apps is most definitely tangible, and bears out "you get what you pay for". Whilst I think a free trial is a good idea, I think that it opens a risky door for programmers for someone somehow to crack their app and use for free (including sharing how to do it).
    01-03-12 06:50 AM
    If you think your prices are bad ours are worse in the uk. They have just converted the $ to the pound. So we pay $7.5 for angry birds or $15 for monopoly. Basically everything is 50% more.
    And I thought the British Pound is supposed to be valued at approximately two to two-and-one-half times the United States Dollar. I think Research In Motion has there currency conversion algorithm reversed if you are paying more in the United Kingdom.

1 GBP = ~2.00 USD -> USD4.99 (Angry Birds) should cost only ~2GBP. Time you telephoned your MP.
    01-03-12 06:55 AM
    And I thought the British Pound is supposed to be valued at approximately two to two-and-one-half times the United States Dollar. I think Research In Motion has there currency conversion algorithm reversed if you are paying more in the United Kingdom.

1 GBP = ~2.00 USD -> USD4.99 (Angry Birds) should cost only ~2GBP. Time you telephoned your MP.
    This is the reason why I wrote a guide on this topic
    See my sig.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-03-12 06:58 AM
    I think it is Monopoly 9.99.... Found SharePlus Office Mobil-Client $29.99
    No it's not - I saw an app yesterday for �385! It was some sort of medical/doctors appointment system or something along those lines.
    Must be a mis-price surely.
    01-03-12 06:59 AM
    I personally think that all games and apps over .99 cent should have a trial version. Its not about the money its about whether the consumer likes the product or not. Reviews are like opinions and everybody has a different view ( just like phones). We all use products differently. A trial version for 48 or 72 hours is ample time to decide in my opinion.
    01-03-12 07:45 AM
    I remember reading the forums and seeing people complain that $5 was too much for Angry Birds. It drives me nuts that we've bred this "napster" society where people think everything should be free; at least online media. No one would walk into a bar and expect a beer to be free. No one goes to the car dealership without a check and expects to leave with a car. Why is it that when a developer spends his or her time and resources developing a useful app or game people complain about the price? If Angry Birds HD was solely PS3 game, you would have no problem pay $50 for it, but because it's just an app, you fuss about $5.

For clarity, I will note that the last coding I did was in my 7th grade visual basic class. God gave me a lot of gifts; the ability to sit in front of a monitor for days coding was not one of them.

My point is: everything in life has a price. Don't slam devs for wanting a little compensation for their time and willingness to bring great products to the application markets.
    everything should be free. the price of creating art is that you get no reward other than respect. that is the price of living in a free society. if you don't like it, keep voting for the copyright society.

if devs want compensation for their work, they should do something that is work (like general labour or customer service). remember that "i thought of it first, so you can't do it" is the opinion of a child, but through law we are forced to live in a child's world where monkey can see but is not allowed to do. copying is part of human nature, and you ask that we support people who wish us to act in ways counter to our long-term benefit? I think you need to rethink your values.
    01-03-12 04:09 PM
    If you don't like spending money on apps, sell your tablet and find something else to play with that will put a smile on your face.
    this particular tablet has a fully functioning browser compatible with the modern internet (for the most part, moreso than the other options)... why would you want apps?
    01-03-12 04:12 PM
  9. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    This is besides the point, but I'm wondering. What's THE most expensive app/game on the playbook? Does anyone know?

It must be really good.
    I get a kick out of the Premium clock I can buy for my Curve for just $599.99 the goldenlight designer desktop clock for Blackberry smartphones
    Last edited by onceyougoblackyounevergoback; 01-03-12 at 04:57 PM.
    01-03-12 04:54 PM
    everything should be free. the price of creating art is that you get no reward other than respect. that is the price of living in a free society. if you don't like it, keep voting for the copyright society.

if devs want compensation for their work, they should do something that is work (like general labour or customer service). remember that "i thought of it first, so you can't do it" is the opinion of a child, but through law we are forced to live in a child's world where monkey can see but is not allowed to do. copying is part of human nature, and you ask that we support people who wish us to act in ways counter to our long-term benefit? I think you need to rethink your values.
    What the...
    Seriously??? Mmmmkay... Should Microsoft Office be free? AutoCad? Come on man, you just CAN'T be serious!
    01-03-12 05:12 PM

Professional artists usually have patrons to support them or at least are willing to sell their work to make ends meet..
    01-03-12 05:21 PM
    What the...
    Seriously??? Mmmmkay... Should Microsoft Office be free? AutoCad? Come on man, you just CAN'T be serious!
    Sure he's serious. My app wrote ITSELF while I was at his place smokin' potato peels - they're FREE!! you know. I think that Microsoft Office and AutCad were created by thousands of monkeys pounding on Bluetooth keyboards connected to washing machines. They didn't even have to feed the monkeys because they survived on nubTard's "respect". Very wholesome and absolutely FREE!!
    spike12 likes this.
    01-03-12 05:32 PM
    I happily paid the $4.99 for my Angry Birds and I just love the way it plays and looks on the screen. What I love best is there are no ads, on my android phone, there are ads with the Angry Birds and it was free, so I rather pay for the App and not see ads.
    01-03-12 05:34 PM
    Personally I am tired of wasting money on apps that were obviously never finished in the first place. No trial, No free version, or a Missing List of a gillion good reviews, than Forgetaboutit.

The money isn't the problem, its people stealing money in exchange for apps they know are busted crud. They are scum.

And AppWorld and especially Mobihand don't do squat when they know Customers are fleeced.

Maybe they think its makin them all this money but I disaggree. I think its Bull.
    01-03-12 05:47 PM
    What the...
    Open Office is available, so.. yeah.. if MS Office wants to compete with free, it needs to be free too (it's been losing a battle against Google Docs for awhile now.. MS is still dominant, but that's because of business buying cycles).. CAD may go that way sooner or later, but really, who other than business needs CAD? if they plan on making a profit from the use of the software, it does make sense, but if it's to be used non-commercially, where is the harm?
    01-03-12 05:57 PM
    Professional artists usually have patrons to support them or at least are willing to sell their work to make ends meet..
    professional artists ruin art for everyone. if they can't make ends meet and create their art they shouldn't be supported.
    01-03-12 05:58 PM
    I have to agree that a trial period is a good idea on any app. I've been stung too often buying an app that had serious flaws. Tablet apps tend to be cheap compared to their real-computer counterparts; but, still, it should not be a game of "gotcha!" And yes, consumers should always be free to complain about app prices, or, for that matter, prices of anything at all--how can anyone even question that?
    01-03-12 05:59 PM
    It's because angry birds is more expensive on the PB than any other device, on android it's free and ios for 0.99 cents. I agree with you, angry birds is worth more than 99 cents but the fact that it is more expensive on the PB makes people angry
    01-03-12 08:48 PM
    What the...
    Microsoft office has a free trial. Just saying...
    01-03-12 09:00 PM
    I would expect a thread like this from the people who regularly pay $10 for weather.
    01-03-12 09:12 PM
    everything should be free. the price of creating art is that you get no reward other than respect.
    I take it that you would be happy if the company you work for stopped paying you then?

I left the second part in as I wanted to add that you do almost have a point. However, apps aren't art, they're a product. Angry Birds is not art. I'm not sure that I'd pay for it if it was!
    01-04-12 02:52 AM

Well, this post just reminded me how glad I am to be an American.

Thx much!
    01-04-12 06:19 AM
    It's because angry birds is more expensive on the PB than any other device, on android it's free and ios for 0.99 cents. I agree with you, angry birds is worth more than 99 cents but the fact that it is more expensive on the PB makes people angry
    For the 100,000th time.... Angry Birds HD is the same price on iOS. $4.99.
    It is not free there either, neither is it "more expensive on the PB."
    01-04-12 07:56 AM
    Now you know how it feels to be &%#@!*&% in the wind.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-04-12 08:21 AM

Edited to correct: HD the comparable iPad version is 4.99, but I only have the free version so I guess it's irrelevant.

They don't offer it on special? It's frequently gone down to 1.99 on iPad.
    Last edited by pri79269; 01-04-12 at 09:02 AM.
    01-04-12 08:56 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD