I remember reading the forums and seeing people complain that $5 was too much for Angry Birds. It drives me nuts that we've bred this "napster" society where people think everything should be free; at least online media. No one would walk into a bar and expect a beer to be free. No one goes to the car dealership without a check and expects to leave with a car. Why is it that when a developer spends his or her time and resources developing a useful app or game people complain about the price? If Angry Birds HD was solely PS3 game, you would have no problem pay $50 for it, but because it's just an app, you fuss about $5.

For clarity, I will note that the last coding I did was in my 7th grade visual basic class. God gave me a lot of gifts; the ability to sit in front of a monitor for days coding was not one of them.

My point is: everything in life has a price. Don't slam devs for wanting a little compensation for their time and willingness to bring great products to the application markets.
    01-02-12 10:46 PM
    AMEN!!! I agree.
    01-02-12 10:49 PM
    nothing in life is free, not even the necessities. ( air or water)

people want to believe it is..

thank you devs for your support... keep you ideas coming and I will support you.
    Last edited by cajualaddict; 01-02-12 at 11:18 PM.
    KermEd and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-02-12 10:58 PM
  4. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    I will be the first to admit I have not bought a CD since the ninety's.

Furthermore, I would like to agree with you, not because of the moral dilemma of taking something that I didn't pay for,or because getting something for free is better than paying for it, but because we should only support something if we love it and believe in it.

I have already bought apps that ill never use or were not what I expected them to be, and I did it with a smile on my face. Our app purchases tell developers that there is a market here.

If I can spend $5 on a Venti Carmel Machiatto at Starbucks everyday, then I can donate a couple of bucks to the developers of all the great apps we have available.

If you love your Playbook, Buy an App today!!!
    bbfan1040, JK-PhD and UKCatFan3 like this.
    01-02-12 11:04 PM
    If you don't like spending money on apps, sell your tablet and find something else to play with that will put a smile on your face.
    bbfan1040 and sjefferson21 like this.
    01-02-12 11:08 PM
    Couldnt have said it better myself.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-02-12 11:13 PM
    I agree with this thread. If a few bucks spent to encourage the developers then gets them motivated then its money well spent.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-02-12 11:20 PM
    sure we all agree the devs should be paid for good apps but the question is why are the same apps free on some platforms and cost on others.i personally would like to see trial versions of all paid apps.
    bbfan1040 and Flexin like this.
    01-02-12 11:25 PM
    I agree with all of the above including having all pay apps being trialware for a day or two.
    01-02-12 11:33 PM
    I paid my $5 for Angry Birds--the app without which no tablet is complete. But, I see nothing wrong with users who want to complain about the price, or about the fact that at least one version of Angry Birds is free at the Android Market. Doesn't anyone here believe in freedom of speech, anymore? Bleating empty praises to developers is pointless. They will come and write their programs if RIM pays them to do it, or, if the QNX market is large enough for it to be worth their while. Otherwise, they won't.
    01-02-12 11:35 PM
    Oh shut up with this self righteous crap. Who are you to tell anyone to stop complaining about anything. Pay what you want and leave the others alone. Your full of crap anyway.
    teknishun likes this.
    01-02-12 11:41 PM
    I remember reading the forums and seeing people complain that $5 was too much for Angry Birds. It drives me nuts that we've bred this "napster" society where people think everything should be free; at least online media.
    There are quite a bit of assumptions and fallacies you made in that post pal. You're assuming that people who complain $5 is too much for Angry Birds expect it to be free. Next, you're also assuming that people who complain $5 is too much for Angry Birds only because they expect it to be free. As some others have already pointed out, $5 is too much when there's no trial version available.
    emtunc likes this.
    01-02-12 11:45 PM
    A good app is worth a good price. Where everyone got the idea they should get everything for 99 cents or free I don't get. Spoiled.

Why crap apps should get 99 cents or more I don't get. I do believe in free trials so that we may judge it's worth. I would happily pay $50 if it gave me $50 worth of value.

Why some devs give out quality apps for free I also don't get. It just makes people expect everything for free..

Agree with OP. Developing is hard work. Why should it not be compensated well?

Angry birds needs no free trial, it has a reputation.
    bbfan1040 and Spencerdl like this.
    01-03-12 12:01 AM
    Oh shut up with this self righteous crap. Who are you to tell anyone to stop complaining about anything. Pay what you want and leave the others alone. Your full of crap anyway.
    Awww... Poor grumpy... Here's a cookie...

Better now?
    01-03-12 12:29 AM
    Awww... Poor grumpy... Here's a cookie...

Better now?
    Was the cookie free?
    01-03-12 12:29 AM
    Was the cookie free?
    Bwahahahahaha!
    01-03-12 12:31 AM
    There are quite a bit of assumptions and fallacies you made in that post pal. You're assuming that people who complain $5 is too much for Angry Birds expect it to be free. Next, you're also assuming that people who complain $5 is too much for Angry Birds only because they expect it to be free. As some others have already pointed out, $5 is too much when there's no trial version available.
    #1: Don't call me pal; you don't know me.

#2: It's Angry Birds; no trial version needed.

#3: If you're scared of losing $5, read the reviews.

#4: I would love to debate your "arguments" further, but your sentence structure doesn't allow me to validate your "arguments" as valid or sound.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-03-12 01:31 AM

wow. So much anger here. This reminds me of south park. Don't call guy, friend. He's not friend, buddy. I'm not your buddy, guy. lol.

On a more serious note, I am one of those guys who will not buy apps. Programmers can cost a lot of money (my friends program Silverlight apps so I know) but if I have to pay for apps then I don't need it. Call me cheap but it just don't want to pay for that unnecessary stuff.
    01-03-12 03:26 AM
    Stop complaining about complaining. Quite hypocritical.
    01-03-12 03:51 AM

#2: It's Angry Birds; no trial version needed.

#3: If you're scared of losing $5, read the reviews.

#4: I would love to debate your "arguments" further, but your sentence structure doesn't allow me to validate your "arguments" as valid or sound.
    If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Getting your panties tied up in a bunch just because someone respectfully disagrees with your opinion is a sign that you don't have the maturity to debate.

Also, I'm sorry that my sentence structure isn't good enough for you to understand my point, while others have perfectly no problem in doing so.
    01-03-12 03:53 AM
    Not to spread the fire, but isn't there a free version of Angry Birds on iOS and Android so you can make an informed decision? I'm sure it's paid for itself many times over for Rovio.
    01-03-12 04:31 AM
    This is besides the point, but I'm wondering. What's THE most expensive app/game on the playbook? Does anyone know?

It must be really good.
    01-03-12 05:12 AM
    I think it is Monopoly 9.99.... Found SharePlus Office Mobil-Client $29.99
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-03-12 at 05:30 AM.
    01-03-12 05:15 AM
    The fundamental problem is trivializing the application development process for the smartphone and tablet markets by calling the products 'apps'. And no 'apps' is not a cute name but it certainly plays into the short attention span of people these days. Would you like fries with that app?
    01-03-12 05:19 AM
    No one goes to the car dealership without a check and expects to leave with a car. .

I understand the point you are making, but at least try to make your analogies somewhat reasonable.
    01-03-12 06:42 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD