Thinking of grabbing one of these now that they are $199 but have a few questions.

1. Do the Android apps TuneIn Radio or Radio.com now work with or without sideloading and will they continue to stream with the screen off? Or what are you using to stream radio? I do a lot of streaming radio.

2. Did battery life improve with OS2? Still average 8 hours with wifi running?

3. Other than Google maps, are there any other GPS/Map apps that give you precise locations? I don't need turn-by-turn directions, just where I am located on the map.

4. What are popular apps/websites for streaming video? Not interested in PlayOn type apps, strictly on the device apps that do not rely on a home server to push the content to the Playbook. Crackle used to work and that is the type of stuff I am talking about.

5. Do Google Voice or Google talk function?

Thanks all,

Rob
    03-18-12 03:54 AM
    1. Not sure, I'll check in a while.
    2. It's about the same, I charge my PlayBook usually once a day, having used it like constantly.
    3. Bing maps, megallin compass, even downloadable on-device gps maps (although they have bad reviews. :P)
    4. Well the PlayBook has flash, so you should be able to use any streaming site you use on your PC. TV Duck links should work alright on it.
    5. No, VoIP does not work with converted Android apps, the PlayBook does not have a native app, and the PlayBook's browser is not supported, given that it's just a mobile browser (A good one though). There are options for video or voice chatting, reelportal for example can be used on a computer through the browser, with no account, so it's not as much of an inconvenience for people if you tell them you want to chat with it, just send them a link.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your decision.
    03-18-12 04:05 AM
    I can answer a few. Crackle does indeed work. Websites(ABC etc even sites like vipbox.tv) that stream shows also work since PlayBook does support flash. There is Bing Maps. I'm not sure about the battery life all I can say is that I'm happy with the battery life. For online Radio there several choices the one that comes to mind is Nobex Radio and Slacker.

Edit: forgot to mention imo.im through that google talk works with no issues you can also do skype calls and video chat
    Last edited by TheUnknownUser; 03-18-12 at 04:14 AM.
    03-18-12 04:09 AM
    Thanks for the replies....

One other question came to mind...On my Android phone native email client when forwarding a message it will not allow me to edit the forwarding content (like deleting other email addresses, headers and such..) however the iPhone does allow this. Does the playbook allow you to remove unwanted text before sending? I do a lot of forwarding where I need to remove the addresses before I send the emails.

I've been in the market for a tablet for a while and the price tag on the playbook just seems like a good deal for what it does and my needs as a web surfing, emailing machine. I don't think I could find a better deal really.
    03-18-12 04:32 AM
    Thanks for the replies....

One other question came to mind...On my Android phone native email client when forwarding a message it will not allow me to edit the forwarding content (like deleting other email addresses, headers and such..) however the iPhone does allow this. Does the playbook allow you to remove unwanted text before sending? I do a lot of forwarding where I need to remove the addresses before I send the emails.

I've been in the market for a tablet for a while and the price tag on the playbook just seems like a good deal for what it does and my needs as a web surfing, emailing machine. I don't think I could find a better deal really.
    I just gave the email question a try and it seems you can delete/add whatever you want in a forwarded message just as in Outlook. Not to mention a full set of rich text tools.

The PB email is seriously a joy to use. I've been using 'open-on' for a lot of email because I love writing them on the PB.

All the best with your new Playbook
    03-18-12 05:02 AM
    Oh that's good news...thanks for the reply. I think I will grab one later today.

Great forum and I appreciate the help.
    BearSnout and zethaaron like this.
    03-18-12 05:07 AM
    RE your first question, I've read that the converted and resigned TuneIn app does not work on PlayBook. PlayBook comes bundled with Slacker Radio, which works very well.

As for maps, I've sideloaded both Google Maps and Mapdroyd on PlayBook. Both work well, and both give you precise location. Both allow you to refer to maps offline...Google Maps by caching map data, Mapdroyd by actually allowing you to download the maps that interest you. There's also Bing Maps that comes bundled with the PlayBook, but I'm not a fan.
    03-18-12 08:03 AM
    Get 32g instead. Small price difference. You may run out of memory with 16g.
    03-18-12 09:28 AM
    Mhh: Slacker Radio doesn't work outside the US.
    03-18-12 11:52 AM

Works in Canada.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-18-12 12:30 PM
    Look, save the questions! Just get it, use it for a week and return it if you don't like it. Hands on is the only true way of "knowing".
    03-18-12 12:45 PM
    Well it was a sad day. The local Radio Shack that had Playbooks in stock (according to their website) only had a returned device that was kind of beat up so I decided not to buy it. I will shop around and see if I can find one but for now, thanks for the all the replies.
    03-18-12 08:55 PM
    Google voice now has an app in appworld. seems the webos version has been ported over. see this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-710202/
    03-18-12 09:05 PM
    Slacker does indeed work in Canada also
    03-18-12 09:07 PM
    Google voice now has an app in appworld. seems the webos version has been ported over. see this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-710202/
    This doesn't support VoIP or Calling telephones through the internet, it's merely a message management tool that also allows sms functions.
    Ntario likes this.
    03-19-12 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD