Guys how are we supposed to handle the fact the playbook only has one audio output to really use the pacemaker as it should be used. I mean, you need one output for the music and one output for headphones.

Am i missing something here?
    06-15-12 11:32 AM
    Guys how are we supposed to handle the fact the playbook only has one audio output to really use the pacemaker as it should be used. I mean, you need one output for the music and one output for headphones.

I was wondering if you can stream audio via HDMI while being able to use the headphones simultaneously. Not sure if that's the case though. Either that or wired headphones and bluetooth ones. These are just ideas - I haven't tried any, nor do I think you can do two simultaneous outputs, but I'm curious.
    06-15-12 11:34 AM
    You aren't missing anything. Currently pacemaker is trying to get HDMI to work as an additional audio output (see their twitter feed). Otherwise, you'll need to purchase a 3.5mm audio splitter with split output capabilities. Griffin Technologies has one called "DJ Cable" that they designed for djay for iPad/iPhone. Same principle. Basically it splits your L/R output into two separate, 3.5mm channels. You won't have stereo sound on your headphones and speakers (mono only), but it's the best solution for amateur DJs on a tablet.
    joski and SlcCorrado like this.
    06-15-12 11:35 AM
    k, got it, thx guys.
    06-15-12 11:42 AM
    You aren't missing anything. Currently pacemaker is trying to get HDMI to work as an additional audio output (see their twitter feed). Otherwise, you'll need to purchase a 3.5mm audio splitter with split output capabilities. Griffin Technologies has one called "DJ Cable" that they designed for djay for iPad/iPhone. Same principle. Basically it splits your L/R output into two separate, 3.5mm channels. You won't have stereo sound on your headphones and speakers (mono only), but it's the best solution for amateur DJs on a tablet.
    Thanks! I'm so anti-Social Networking - so thanks for the information from the Pacemaker end, and also the Griffin cable. Gonna try to track one down Cheers
    06-15-12 11:44 AM
    Not sure where to post this but this thread seems to be a good place.

I contacted Pacemaker earlier to find out what audio formats it supports. After a few tries I found it did not play WMA...just mp3 and wav.

"Even though Wave, AIFF, FLAC and OGG might work, we officially only support mp3 as of now. One of our top priorities is to support AAC as well (which does not work at all right now)."

Just sharing the knowledge with Crackberry Nation.
    06-15-12 02:32 PM
    I really. Am considering buying. Question though, are you able to queue up say ten songs and let them play unattended, as in pacemaker will adjust the bpm and phase the songs into the next ?
    06-15-12 03:06 PM
    Not sure where to post this but this thread seems to be a good place.

I contacted Pacemaker earlier to find out what audio formats it supports. After a few tries I found it did not play WMA...just mp3 and wav.

"Even though Wave, AIFF, FLAC and OGG might work, we officially only support mp3 as of now. One of our top priorities is to support AAC as well (which does not work at all right now)."

Just sharing the knowledge with Crackberry Nation.
    Sure hope they support all lossless formats, though wav is purest form of lossless or closest to CD RAW. I'm in process of going all lossless and dumping mp3s as I regain access to borrowed discs...but I do know the original device was an mp3 player on steroids....Thanks for the info.
    06-15-12 03:20 PM
    I really. Am considering buying. Question though, are you able to queue up say ten songs and let them play unattended, as in pacemaker will adjust the bpm and phase the songs into the next ?
    It's a good buy, but I don't think you can queue anything up like that - at least as far as I've seen.
    06-15-12 03:57 PM
    Would love usb host mode support. So I could plug in an external hdd / faderfox.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-15-12 04:05 PM

Use a Griffin DJ Cable,..

OR - make one yourself...

Get a Stereo to Mono splitter... - and use two Mono to Stereo Adapters - one for each of the splitted mono lines...

Of course the result will be Mono, but will output the same in each channel...

If we are in luck - one day we will see Pacemaker using the HDMI output for Stereo output... and be the first DJ App with two stereo outputs... Would be awesome...

Btw: does anyone KNOW if the Microphone input can be re-programmed and used as output? The existing headphone jack on the PB also have mic input.. which I guess is stereo... could also be an alternative to HDMI.. just using the mic/headphone jac for it all...
    Last edited by Lindstrom; 06-15-12 at 04:11 PM.
    06-15-12 04:06 PM
    It's a good buy, but I don't think you can queue anything up like that - at least as far as I've seen.
    i dont think u can queue up songs. but u can set up the next song when the first one is playing so that u can play as soon as song 1 is done.. it hink.
    06-15-12 04:35 PM
    Ah thanks. For the reply. I use mixmeister on my laptop which does queue the trackks and plays em continously. Still gonna buy pacemaker though.
    Thanks again
    06-15-12 05:10 PM
    Ah thanks. For the reply. I use mixmeister on my laptop which does queue the trackks and plays em continously. Still gonna buy pacemaker though.
    Thanks again
    06-15-12 05:21 PM
    (Putting on my sound engineer hat)

In reality your mixes should be mono, or at least almost mono. Concerts are usually mixed pretty much mono too. Otherwise, only people dead center will get good sound. All others will get a mix with bits missing or bits too loud, especially if they are in front of a speaker.

That said, for pro sound use you really need external USB audio with 2x XLR. Better quality, more headroom, higher sample rates, more bits, different signal level, interference-resistant outputs etc. Alas, the PlayBook doesn't support USB audio :-(
    btgdelta likes this.
    06-16-12 04:10 AM

In reality your mixes should be mono, or at least almost mono. Concerts are usually mixed pretty much mono too. Otherwise, only people dead center will get good sound. All others will get a mix with bits missing or bits too loud, especially if they are in front of a speaker.

That said, for pro sound use you really need external USB audio with 2x XLR. Better quality, more headroom, higher sample rates, more bits, different signal level, interference-resistant outputs etc. Alas, the PlayBook doesn't support USB audio :-(
    Dang i thought this was going to end with a happy "Fortunely the playbook supports USB audio"

But the griffing cable will do something very similar, did i get it right?
    06-16-12 03:46 PM
    The Griffin cable still uses the devices internal audio card, so you won't get pro audio quality.

If I understand the description correctly, with the Griffin cable you'll hear the main output and your cue track, but the audience will only hear the main output. It "mixes" the main and cue for you at fixed (probably equal) levels. For a very simple setup, this might do.

With a regular stereo->mono splitter, you'd hear only the cue track through your headphones unless the app mixes the cue & main for you. This would be preferable, as it might allow you to adjust the balance between the cue and the main, and possibly adjust other things of your monitor mix in software. Depends on the app. You could also just wear one side of your headphones, like you often see DJ's doing.

Another possible setup would be to route one deck to L and the other deck to R, split the stereo output and connect the L and R to two different channels on a DJ mixer. You'd use the PB just as two virtual CD decks, relying on the mixer for monitoring, crossfading and optionally EQ.

I don't know whether/how Pacemaker handles these options.
    posadajulian likes this.
    06-17-12 05:25 AM

Never ran a mono setup on any DJ system including two night clubs and four mobile DJ systems. You loose sound movement and affects doing this.
    Its a cheap way to make a cheap system work better.
    If you design your sound system correctly this is not an issue.

Tim
    06-20-12 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD