Hi everyone,
    Once an app is bought and downloaded can it be but on multiple playbook owned by the same family?

Brian
    04-21-12 09:39 AM
    It can, provided all the PlayBooks are using the same BlackBerry ID.

That comes with certain limitations, however, one of which is you will have a hard time reliably video chatting between them.

It seems likely there will be other restrictions in future as well -- not because RIM wants to prevent this but because they have no particular reason to support it. They do see it as a valid use case for one person to have multiple devices (obviously) so they're making that work, but when there are multiple people involved it's a different story. It "sort of" works now, but you'll have to make the decision for yourself whether how it behaves is acceptable or not.

We have multiple PlayBooks here, and I have two of them on the same BBID (my own, one for regular use, one for development), while the third has a second BBID. As a developer, I really don't mind paying for two copies of one app if it's so useful that I think we need it on both tablets. For other apps, we just choose which tablet is most suitable for it (e.g. games for my daughter) and purchase once.
    Innovatology likes this.
    04-21-12 09:51 AM
    I think they can be used on up to 5 PlayBooks.

Just log in with the SAME BBID. Then go into app world, and reinstall what ever apps you want, that have already been installed on the originating PB.

My wife and I share apps. I buy them, she gets them for free.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    04-21-12 09:53 AM
    I bought one for my wife so we could video chat when I am on the road. We could share the same BBID and thus share app purchases however we wouldn't be able to reliably video chat thus we set both up with different BBID's.
    04-21-12 10:31 AM
    I bought one for my wife so we could video chat when I am on the road. We could share the same BBID and thus share app purchases however we wouldn't be able to reliably video chat thus we set both up with different BBID's.
    Is there a way you could "unreliably" video chat between 2 playbooks with the same BBID?
    04-21-12 10:55 AM
    Is there a way you could "unreliably" video chat between 2 playbooks with the same BBID?
    Yes, you can call devices by PIN instead of people by BBID. I believe RIM has said (in a Knowledge Base article?) that's the part which may not work reliably, however.
    04-21-12 12:59 PM
    Yes, you can call devices by PIN instead of people by BBID. I believe RIM has said (in a Knowledge Base article?) that's the part which may not work reliably, however.
    Cool. I didn't know you could do that. I wonder why it wouldn't be reliable though?
    04-21-12 01:18 PM
    Has anyone been able to video chat on 2 playbooks with the same BBID using the PIN? I could not get it to work
    04-21-12 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD