03-15-12 11:35 AM
34 12
tools
    One of the guys I reach out to, wrote a program similar to what you discribe (not quite, but similar), scrid200 http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...let-tv-706571/
    NICE. i guess great minds think alike! I will download this tonight.

I will also be more than willing to help test anything that comes out of these projects, as that is all i can do since my coding skills are ZERO

As for keeping with Netflix and Skype... ill try to come up with ideas. Like i said, my coding skills dont exist, but I am very 'creative' in finding work arounds and such for many different aspects.

Maybe if someone could explain the basics of how it works, and why we cant access it on PB, that may help the people who dont know how to code to try and think their way around the problem.
    03-14-12 02:10 PM
    I for one feel I must say that I am glad that the community is finally coming together as a whole to accomplish something. Let's do this!
    03-14-12 03:11 PM
    I for one feel I must say that I am glad that the community is finally coming together as a whole to accomplish something. Let's do this!
    Lol well there's definitely no guarantee we'll pull anything off, but at least it's better than sitting around talking about how we'd love a video chat or streaming client. :P
    03-14-12 03:54 PM
    I'm APP developer, and i might can make Skype work on the PB! I give it a try
    Jeroen
    pkcable likes this.
    03-14-12 04:06 PM
    Folks,

The thread has been cleaned up. I removed all the offers to beta test, including my own. The point of this thread is to interest developers and other coders in this project. James will be setting up and coordinating the effort. Interested developers should post their interest and highlight their skills, and James will then PM you. He will setup some sort of email list or web forum to communicate among the developers as they work on the project. Interested fans/testers like myself will be contacted later on to do our part. Right now we want to focus on developers.
    jamesjmunro likes this.
    03-14-12 06:48 PM
    So I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with things due to work and schedule. I have pretty done quite a bit of rooting and writing of script when I have had the time. I got android market and pretty much everything android market related to work on my Pandigital Supernova. I understand that it runs in a completely different environment than the playbook, however I am always up for a challenge. I was going to take what free time I had and work on the mugen64 app, however I think this one would be much more beneficial. I just got my signing keys yesterday, and have been searching around and found that an earlier version of Skyfire came with Silverlight already packed into it. I was thinking of getting that and loading it on my pandigital and updating silverlight for it. Then taking it and trying to port it over to the PB. Not sure how successful it will be, but IMO worth a shot. I will see what I can do tonight and report back.
    KermEd, pkcable and jamesjmunro like this.
    03-14-12 08:29 PM
    Howdy james. I am posting to comfirm my intent to help out on this project.
    For the scope of this project I am aligned with jtokarchuk and scrid2000.

My related skills are:
    GUI Development and Documentation
    HTML 4/5
    Adobe AS3 and family
    NDK limited sandbox experience
    Java(+script)
    PHP and MySQL integration

I noticed a few other devs here from bnxteam too. We started looking at solutions a little while ago. Based on bnxteam discussions I would say this is not impossible.

My time is tight - but would be glad to contribute where i can. Edit: Cleaned up post.

~ed
    Last edited by KermEd; 03-15-12 at 12:07 AM.
    pkcable and jamesjmunro like this.
    03-15-12 12:04 AM
    po8pimp and KermEd, PMs coming your way soon.

Thanks for the chime ins.
    03-15-12 10:25 AM
    Yes, this is one of the ways people can use ReelPortal, however I believe the main problem with that is access to the Skype servers, so that it actually is a Skype connection and can as such work with others on PCs, iOS and Android devices who are logged into Skype. Somehow they've done it on https://imo.im/ but it frankly just doesn't really work.
    Generally Skype does not have ts own servers, except maybe for storing login info, as it is a peer to peer network and uses its customers computers as servers to tansfer and move calls around.

If you keep Skype running on your computer, and you have a strong dsl or cable connection, download a little program called NetMeter and just see how much of your bandwidth Skype is using to move calls around.

If not using Skype, I close it, as it actually starts to bog my connection down.
    jamesjmunro likes this.
    03-15-12 11:35 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD