OK sounds good.. I'll use LANbridge (the first link in my last post) to set up a network for you to join. It seems to be the most hassle-free/easiest to use. You'll have to be running the same program, of course, and I'll have to supply you with a link to my network, but we can work out the details.

First I should ask.. do you have Quake 3 Arena for PC? It would help greatly with debugging if you did (if u don't, for testing purposes I can zip up mine and send it to you, as it's configured properly and I know it works with my Playbook already).. it has to be updated to the latest version to be able to connect with the Playbook's Q3A. If this is going to work at all, the best sign that it will work is if our Quakes on our PC's can detect each other using only the 'Local' function (not multiplayer). If so, we can then proceed with step 2: seeing if your/my PC can detect my/your Playbook running as server. Once that's sorted out, there should be no problems with the final step: Playbook to Playbook connections over the Internet (which is the main thing we're interested in anyhow).

Obviously for this to have any chance of working, your PC and Playbook must be connected to the same router, thereby forming a LAN. If this isn't possible, then all is for naught, lol.

If nobody else rises to the challenge in a day or so, we can hash things out further...
    Last edited by BennyX; 02-05-12 at 12:12 PM.
    02-05-12 11:13 AM
    OK.. regarding getting Quake 3 Arena for Playbook and a networking workaround (so it can see other machines not Local or in the same LAN)..

LAN Bridger running on PC looked promising, but no dice. It doesn't have gateway capability (yet), meaning it doesn't send out/repeat UDP traffic to machines that are physically part of the same LAN but not running LAN Bridger.

There are some other applications for the PC of its ilk, and anyone wanting to be part of that virtual LAN must be running the same application.. none of them have gateway capability.

This leaves only true VPN gateways as a solution.. which narrows our options down even further, being that the Playbook only supports (officially) a very short list of VPN products, and doesn't support SSL-VPN (yet).

I can't really justify spending any more time on this.. maybe if Quake 3 had a better interface (bluetooth mouse and keyboard capability would be perfect), but until it does, Q3A on Playbook is just a novelty and an exercise in frustration in controls.

Why did RIM cripple the multiplayer features anyhow?? Was it simply an issue of not wanting to spend any money on getting things to work properly, being that it was going to be released for free anyhow?
    02-08-12 11:53 AM
    Not sure why it would be necessary to make a proxy. Q3A worked fine on the internet.

Did they remove something in the source to make it unplayable on the net, gamespy or something?
    02-08-12 02:20 PM
    Not sure why it would be necessary to make a proxy. Q3A worked fine on the internet.

Did they remove something in the source to make it unplayable on the net, gamespy or something?

Yup.. for some reason RIM released their version of the Q3A code, but it was a gimped version. Multiplayer over Internet isn't possible, only Local/LAN. The only control options available are touchscreen.. so bluetooth mouse + keyboard are out. Most configuration options, if they are changed, will crash the program. Also, as far as I can tell there's no way to bring down the console in order to make custom changes (or to connect manually to server IP addresses).

So yeah, it's basically unplayable in its current form on the Playbook.. it's a cool demo* but that's it.

*I think that's all it was meant to be, to demonstrate how easy it is to use the Playbook's development tools to get things up and running. There's videos out there showing this game running a year ago at tech shows, just to demonstrate what was possible.

edit: connecting directly is possible by using Specify option, so multiplayer over internet is possible. I'm just blind, apparently. lol
    Last edited by BennyX; 02-11-12 at 05:06 PM.
    02-08-12 10:22 PM
    So basically someone has to go in and find out what they left out. Shouldn't be a problem, might take a look after the 13th.

Working on something before then, might bag me another PB.
    02-09-12 07:04 AM
    *I think that's all it was meant to be, to demonstrate how easy it is to use the Playbook's development tools to get things up and running. There's videos out there showing this game running a year ago at tech shows, just to demonstrate what was possible.
    It should also showcase how you should be able to compare the original code and reinsert what is missing(if it is included in the released source). Hopefully with relative ease.
    Last edited by A7omic; 02-09-12 at 10:16 AM.
    02-09-12 10:13 AM
    So basically someone has to go in and find out what they left out. Shouldn't be a problem, might take a look after the 13th.

Working on something before then, might bag me another PB.
    It should also showcase how you should be able to compare the original code and reinsert what is missing(if it is included in the released source). Hopefully with relative ease.

You have the right idea.. and I had the same thought.. compare RIM's released code with iD's code and see where the differences are. I'm sure some device-dependent code would need to be written, or at least some interfacing with QNX API's and that's beyond my capabilities.. last time I did any programming was 18 years ago, lol.

I hope someone can figure it out.. would be a shame to let it languish! Good luck to whoever makes the attempt!
    Last edited by BennyX; 02-09-12 at 04:41 PM.
    02-09-12 04:38 PM
    You have the right idea.. and I had the same thought.. compare RIM's released code with iD's code and see where the differences are. I'm sure some device-dependent code would need to be written, or at least some interfacing with QNX API's and that's beyond my capabilities.. last time I did any programming was 18 years ago, lol.

I hope someone can figure it out.. would be a shame to let it languish! Good luck to whoever makes the attempt!
    There really should not be anything special needed for this, I bet it is all standard POSIX compliant libraries that are used.
    02-09-12 11:01 PM
    you see i have quake 3 for pc and the multiplayer server list even with the latest patch doesn't show anything.But if you manually use an ip through specify, it works.
    So try this in specify :217.163.10.76 port:27960
    oh and swiping diagonally up from the bottom left brings up the keyboard.
    02-10-12 03:18 PM
    you see i have quake 3 for pc and the multiplayer server list even with the latest patch doesn't show anything.But if you manually use an ip through specify, it works.
    So try this in specify :217.163.10.76 port:27960
    oh and swiping diagonally up from the bottom left brings up the keyboard.

yeah the master servers were taken down quite a while ago, but on PC you can run server browsers that keep track of people who are hosting games on their PC's. (not just for quake but for many other games)

and holy cow, how did i miss the 'specify' option? lol i guess it's because i've always just used the /connect command in the console.. you're right, it does work! wow.. that's awesome then!

i just connected to that server address you listed... i'm getting railed by some guy before I even have time to do anything!

still can't set many options in the game, and it's pretty much unplayable without keyboard and mouse or a gamepad. I know the Playbook works with bluetooth keyboards and mice, but I don't know if they would work with the game itself.

but hey, thanks for the heads-up on the 'specify' option in the game.. i thought i was going to have to mess around with VPN's and whatnot, and here the whole time the answer was already right in front of me, lol. Also, its good to know the keyboard can actually be pulled up in the game.. i couldn't get it to come up but that's because i wasn't swiping properly.. (i'm new to this whole swiping on a screen thing)

Talk in game is possible, but for some reason it doesn't display anything you or anyone else types... you can see what you are typing as you enter it, but you won't see it once it is sent. The other players will see it, though, even though you can't. You won't see anything they type, at all.

also, while in spectator mode, Enter on the keyboard switches players that you are watching.

and somehow i got it to show FPS and now i can't turn it off, lol

even though changing some of the options crashes the game, i haven't tried changing the options using the configuration file... so that's one thing on my 'to do' list..

*update: doesn't load q3config.cfg file in /baseq3 folder. That's where it is stored on the PC version, and that's the default filename and this file is loaded automagically by the game if it's present. I guess it doesn't work like that on the Playbook version.. however, obviously there is a configuration file somewhere, because it remembers how you've configured it somehow.. lol

anyone have any guesses where I might find that file? i tried looking for the quake 3 app itself, but there's a heck of a lot of files and directories once you venture beyond the ones you're 'allowed' to see.
    Last edited by BennyX; 02-11-12 at 06:11 PM.
    02-11-12 04:45 PM
    Has anyone with root successfully edit the cfgs, wherever they may be?
    cheysser and skb2k like this.
    02-12-12 07:37 PM
    does anyone know how I would be able to use the controls from a keyboard and mouse input? I already have the keyboard and mouse working on my pb but it doesnt work in quake 3 it only allows use me to use the controls from the touch screen.
    02-13-12 10:01 AM
    does anyone know how I would be able to use the controls from a keyboard and mouse input? I already have the keyboard and mouse working on my pb but it doesnt work in quake 3 it only allows use me to use the controls from the touch screen.
    RIM is planning on adding keyboard and mouse support for Quake 3. Not sure when though but I know it's coming
    02-13-12 10:13 AM
    RIM is planning on adding keyboard and mouse support for Quake 3. Not sure when though but I know it's coming
    Did they state they would work on this more are is the source simply left for other devs to pick up?
    02-13-12 06:41 PM
    Did they state they would work on this more are is the source simply left for other devs to pick up?
    I actually got in touch with one of the devs and he let me know that he's planning to work on that but he hasn't given me a timeline so I really don't know when he'll implement it.

But when I do see an update I'll be sure to post it back here
    02-14-12 10:51 AM
    guys - how do we add the folder in misc and where do we get the sample map from? will it be there automatically once u add the folder? cheers
    03-07-12 06:25 PM
    anyone? still cant get it to work. nothing happens when i click on it
    03-08-12 12:27 PM
    I just added this today and works great!
    i used my Windows Computer to make a folder or you can use air browser for that..
    Installed using DDPB, created the folders, added the apk file and then added few maps

Thank You
    03-09-12 01:30 PM
    Did anybody have luck with custom maps?
    03-11-12 11:58 AM
    does anyone know why when i try to sideload the app using DDPB the quake 3 icon doesn't appear on my drawers? I can't install it. But ddpb showed it installed successfully. I don't have issues sideloading other apps. I made sure i was in dev mode...
    04-04-12 10:32 AM
    Hi great post for playbook, game looks and runs fine, one question put in orig pk, but orig cd key too long,if i use demo pk can i play custom maps, also is it poss to get mapman for quake 3 arena to work on playbook?
    Last edited by roguk; 04-05-12 at 11:24 AM. Reason: update
    04-05-12 11:09 AM
    thanx Sergeh for Quake3 on playbook, i used to play that game non stop on pc, hence the name VIRUS
    05-19-12 09:23 AM
    I've successfully launched Quake III on my PB and it works really well except of multiplayer with bots: they don't appear in the game though I've tried to add them both before the game and during the match.
    05-19-12 09:35 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD