My apologies. I missed that you made that change since the previous version was 95MB or so.

Thanks!
    No apologies necessary
    01-31-12 02:13 AM
    the game crashes on start up for me. i may be doing something wrong? i followed all the steps in the OP. any ideas?
    Are you on OS 2.0 beta?

If you are then the only other cause for the crash is either a missing pak0.pk3 or an invalid one.

Double check your folder structure, it needs to be /misc/quake3/baseq3/pak0.pk3
    If you're using the supplied pk3 make sure it's around 45mb
    01-31-12 02:18 AM
    No apologies necessary
    BTW, how did you cut everything down in size? The .bar with the maps included before were about 95MB. Now it's about half that?
    01-31-12 03:06 AM
    He removed the demo PK3 (game files) and the custom maps from the Bar. Instead of having to always reinstall 94 megs, you just update the 1 meg file and put your PK3s and Custom maps in the shared folder. Much better, and you can even probably install mods without reinstalling the BAR file.
    01-31-12 08:35 AM
    Wow this just great, is this possible with other pc games like say half life, or only quake?
    01-31-12 08:46 AM
    Wow this just great, is this possible with other pc games like say half life, or only quake?
    now that would be amazing. Think stuff like Age of Empires or even Diablo 2.
    01-31-12 08:52 AM
    You guys are dreaming. Reason that Q3A was ported is because ID software released the source. Best we could hope for would be Doom 3.
    01-31-12 09:00 AM
    Doom 3 would still be awesome. But yeah those guys are dreaming, we still don't have the original half life on mac and valve has the source.
    01-31-12 09:09 AM
    if we fix the controls on Q3A, maybe we could look into porting Doom 3. Might not be TOO hard, Doom 3 already uses OpenAl, Of course I don't think we'll get the 60 fps Q3A has though.
    kritikal likes this.
    01-31-12 09:20 AM
    He removed the demo PK3 (game files) and the custom maps from the Bar. Instead of having to always reinstall 94 megs, you just update the 1 meg file and put your PK3s and Custom maps in the shared folder. Much better, and you can even probably install mods without reinstalling the BAR file.
    Yup you can install mods as well in that folder. Haven't tried it myself but there's no reason for it not to work.
    01-31-12 09:51 AM
    I think I know what to do to help with the controls, won't have time to test before tomorrow though. I'll push my changes when I get it working
    01-31-12 12:29 PM
    Yeah I knew all that but didn't get how it went from about 95MB to 45 or so MB. I see what you're saying though. I didn't realize custom maps were included in the BAR before. I guess they had to be.

I like this new way much better.
    01-31-12 12:53 PM
    I like the controls from the SNES emulator. at least the control. Might be a bit too sensitive though.

I might try to get a Q3 mod and see how that goes. Would need to get my hands on a Q3 install though.
    01-31-12 01:04 PM
    I like the controls from the SNES emulator. at least the control. Might be a bit too sensitive though.

I might try to get a Q3 mod and see how that goes. Would need to get my hands on a Q3 install though.
    The controls they're using are from RIM's TouchControlOverlay lib, it's the same being used in FCEUXpb and VBAMpb and to be honest I don't like it that much. The second your finger is off of the dpad it won't respond anymore. The lib also reserves the swipe down event to configure the buttons, so you can't really make a custom menu unless you add buttons to the screen.

If I have enough time I'll either try to make some mods to that lib or roll out my own. I found some nice Java ones, might try porting one if it's simple.

I really like the fact that in Quake, if you drag your finger outside of the joystick it still responds, until you let go of it.

Edit
    Just thought of this, but it would really cool if we can connect to each other and play. Pretty sure that only Local works right now
    Last edited by sergeh; 01-31-12 at 01:23 PM.
    01-31-12 01:19 PM
    Can this be done on any Beta OS2 PB, or does it need to be rooted?
    01-31-12 04:21 PM
    OS 2.0 Beta only, and no, you do not need to dingle your PB
    kirson likes this.
    01-31-12 04:26 PM
    This is very cool! Works like a charm!!
    01-31-12 05:32 PM
    silky smooth
    I think you were purposely quoting "You Don't Mess With The Zohan!"... Lol
    01-31-12 07:49 PM
    The controls they're using are from RIM's TouchControlOverlay lib, it's the same being used in FCEUXpb and VBAMpb and to be honest I don't like it that much. The second your finger is off of the dpad it won't respond anymore. The lib also reserves the swipe down event to configure the buttons, so you can't really make a custom menu unless you add buttons to the screen.

If I have enough time I'll either try to make some mods to that lib or roll out my own. I found some nice Java ones, might try porting one if it's simple.

I really like the fact that in Quake, if you drag your finger outside of the joystick it still responds, until you let go of it.

Edit
    Just thought of this, but it would really cool if we can connect to each other and play. Pretty sure that only Local works right now
    True, I did notice that. And I don't like the whole moving around controls on swipe down (plus the snes doesn't save positions...)

If I get a chance, might look into making some libs to use for controls and/or file management. Since the emulators lack file management and a "standard" joystick/mouse whatever control lib for PB might be a good idea.
    01-31-12 08:04 PM
    Much cooler than packaging the maps into the bar!
    kritikal likes this.
    01-31-12 09:47 PM
    True, I did notice that. And I don't like the whole moving around controls on swipe down (plus the snes doesn't save positions...)

If I get a chance, might look into making some libs to use for controls and/or file management. Since the emulators lack file management and a "standard" joystick/mouse whatever control lib for PB might be a good idea.
    For file management I think they're waiting for the Cascades UI, might make the job easier.
    I know that RIM is working on the TouchControlOverlay lib but I have no idea what they're
    planning for it.

For Quake I know they're working on bluetooth keyboard and mouse support.
    Last edited by sergeh; 02-01-12 at 11:26 AM.
    01-31-12 11:08 PM
    Could there be a workaround so that other Playbook users could manually connect to specific IP addresses of Quake hosts? Possibly a VPN solution of some sort?

I remember playing Halo for the first Xbox online when it only had system link capability, by using a tunnelling program on my laptop... i would think the same kind of thing could work here, although it's not quite the same problem.. surely there must be a way!
    02-03-12 01:04 PM
    Could there be a workaround so that other Playbook users could manually connect to specific IP addresses of Quake hosts? Possibly a VPN solution of some sort?

I remember playing Halo for the first Xbox online when it only had system link capability, by using a tunnelling program on my laptop... i would think the same kind of thing could work here, although it's not quite the same problem.. surely there must be a way!
    I don't see why not, might be worth a shot if someone wants to try it out
    02-03-12 10:51 PM
    OK, I think I've found something that will allow Q3A gamers to play against each other on their Playbooks over the Internet. Of course this will require a PC running a specific program.

Go here or here. Read more here.

These 2 programs have the same functionality, but one has more bells and whistles. Quake 3 Arena (running on PC anyway) is compatible with both programs.

Being that I can run Q3A on my PC and connect to my Playbook that is hosting the game (both my Playbook and my PC are using wireless connections to my router, forming a LAN), I see no reason that it would matter which machine is acting as Quake server... the important bit is the program running on the PC to form a VPN.

In my several hours of research I learned that LAN over VPN is actually a common thing!

Unfortunately I need to find someone else with a PC and a Playbook so I can test things out to see if they work. I am hopeful
    02-05-12 01:01 AM
    if no one else is willing by monday evening (eastern time) I'll gladly test it out with you
    02-05-12 02:17 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD