I decided to give in and start downloading a couple books from kobo while waiting for a kindle app.

So I created an account, found a book, paid for it, and now it will not download. I have tried restarting the program, signing out and back in, restarting my playbook, and even deleting kobo and reinstalling. Its not a connection issue as I am able to do everything else.

Anyone else experiencing any problems or have any suggestions? I get to the point where I see the book in my library and it starts downloading and shows about 10% on the progress bar then stops. I have also tried a couple of the free books in case it was an issue with the one I bought but they didnt work either.

I am mad I just paid 12 bucks for a book and I cant get it to work.
    yaletownboy likes this.
    04-25-11 12:59 PM
    Had a couple of my books pause like that, they do finish, but some were quite some time downloading. Might try getting some of the free books, it may kickstart the download again.
    I took me a couple times opening the program for it to get all my books in, once it stalls it didn't continue until I added some books in or restarted the app. Does the same thing on the ipod app and Torch app, or at least on mine it did. You could try logging into the website on your computer and grabbing it, just download the epub.
    Last edited by ghost194; 04-25-11 at 01:51 PM.
    04-25-11 01:18 PM
    Thanks. Tried everything you suggested, but still no luck.
    04-25-11 02:24 PM
    Had the same problem. Contacted kobo support and they told me to sign out and sign back in. Did so and no luck. Then they had me delete the kobo app and reinstall. Did that and no luck. Their last communication was that they would give me an in store credit. I asked what good that would do if I couldn't download books that I purchase? Haven't seen another response or the credit yet. I also asked if was the app or the book file that was the problem. No answer on that either.
    04-25-11 08:22 PM
    I'm not having this problem with all the free books I loaded. I was thinking of trying a paid one, will report back how that works.
    04-26-11 08:08 PM
    Heard back from kobo support today. They said that the problem was with the book file and not the app but they had to wait on the publisher to get a new file and would refund my money.
    04-26-11 08:53 PM
    Heard back from kobo support today. They said that the problem was with the book file and not the app but they had to wait on the publisher to get a new file and would refund my money.
    Hmm, that makes me very leary of trying to use this app to purchase books. Sounds like an utter hassle.
    04-26-11 10:25 PM
    Could not get free books to download. No chance I would use this for a paid book. I'll wait for a Kindle app.
    04-27-11 07:24 AM
    I had some issues on a free book but I downloaded a paid book fine yesterday.
    04-27-11 07:43 AM
    I have tried downloading multiple free books, along with the one paid that won't work. I don't understand how those all could be bad files. Ugh it's so frustrating. I want to read books on my PB! I'm traveling next week so I hope to have this figured out by then!
    04-27-11 09:28 AM
    I have tried downloading multiple free books, along with the one paid that won't work. I don't understand how those all could be bad files. Ugh it's so frustrating. I want to read books on my PB! I'm traveling next week so I hope to have this figured out by then!
    Same problem...worked with their support people for three days, and we still can't get the book to download. They had me do the load, unload, delete, etc., and more, but it still would not download more than about 20% or so, then will hang. Left it overnight, and still didn't complete. Today got a response that said the book didn't work on Androids (hmmm), so wrote back that I'm using a BB PlayBook and not an Android. waiting for a response. HOpefully the Kindle app will work well when it comes out.
    05-11-11 07:31 PM
    Oddly enough my problem was solved once I bought a new router. Are you by any chance also have problems streaming video from youtube or other sites? I was, and apparently the connection issues were preventing my books from downloading. I got the new router and both problems were solved. I would have initially never thought that was the problem since all other websites, and flash, were working just fine. I didnt think of it until I went to Bdubs and used their wifi and all of a sudden those problems with video and kobo went away. Maybe it will help for you too?
    05-11-11 07:36 PM
    I paid KOBO for a book ($10) and proceeded to download PDF. I was switched to Adobe and their auto response was that my device did not support PDF files and did not send me the download. KOBO responded to my request about a week later saying there was nothing they could do for me because all sales were final.
    So I'm out $10 with no book. Now I'm afraid to buy another book. Any suggestions? Thanks, Merv.
    09-08-11 11:04 AM
    I paid KOBO for a book ($10) and proceeded to download PDF. I was switched to Adobe and their auto response was that my device did not support PDF files and did not send me the download. KOBO responded to my request about a week later saying there was nothing they could do for me because all sales were final.
    So I'm out $10 with no book. Now I'm afraid to buy another book. Any suggestions? Thanks, Merv.
    How did you pay for the Book? If with Credit Card, contest the charge. I'd also write them another letter explaining that until they refund your faulty purchase you will not be buying any more books from them and reporting them to authorities and also cc: your attorney general or other omsbudman or customer reporting agency for your jurisdiction.
    mshepp2 likes this.
    09-08-11 12:19 PM
    I actually just bought a Kobo touch for my girlfriend and she can't seem to put it down. I'm feeling a little neglected! lol
    jeilders likes this.
    09-08-11 02:12 PM
    Good news. I just heard from the KOBO Team who responded "The book you purchased is only available in PDF. Regrettably that book has no ePUB. Due to this cannot be read on any tablet except eReaders that can be connected to Adobe Digital Editions or on your PC using ADE.." They have given me a full credit and I'm happy. Merv. (thanks to all for your responses)
    09-09-11 05:13 PM
    How did you pay for the Book? If with Credit Card, contest the charge. I'd also write them another letter explaining that until they refund your faulty purchase you will not be buying any more books from them and reporting them to authorities and also cc: your attorney general or other omsbudman or customer reporting agency for your jurisdiction.
    Thanks to all for their response. KOBO support finally responded with the following message "The book you purchased is only available in PDF. Regrettably that book has no ePUB. Due to this cannot be read on any table except eReaders that can be connected to Adobe Digital Editions or on your PC using ADE." " We can certainly offer you a store credit for this book or a refund to your credit card. Let us know what you prefer."
    09-12-11 12:57 PM
    So when I log into Kobo, any book that says "Adobe DRM EPUB" I wont be able to view on the Playbook?
    09-12-11 03:05 PM
    So when I log into Kobo, any book that says "Adobe DRM EPUB" I wont be able to view on the Playbook?
    The best advice I got was to first set up my account info ( incl. CC#) on the normal website, and then purchase books directly from the PB, I think that any book found via the PB app should be available for the PB.

I could be wrong, but it has worked fine for my purchases.
    09-13-11 09:44 AM
    I tried to purchase a book from Kobo today and it wouldn't go through because every time I entered my address and credit card information, it would automatically change my state from Massachusetts to Nebraska, so the sale won't go through because the information does not match the address to my credit card since the program keeps changing the state I entered.
    09-28-11 02:53 PM
    Sorry to hijack, but can you only read books bought through Kobo on this app? Or can you load the files on to the PB and read them that way? I'd generally be using ePUB.

Thanks in advance
    09-28-11 03:02 PM
    Hi, new to the forum. I am having problems with a Kobo book a purchased, an expensive one. Been in contact with the customer support and they tell me to press the menu button on my Playbook to clear some sort of.... something.... anyway, am I on crack cause I don't see a menu button on my playbook.

Also, I tried downloading the epub, which is not drm, and it won't open either. I even paid for a separate epub reader app. Any other tricks? I've already uninstalled and reinstalled twice. The book in question only loads to the point where the free preview ends then tells me I need to purchase it even though it's already paid for.

And.... it's now clear to me why, even though it's not in color, I prefer Kindle. LOL.
    10-19-11 02:39 PM
    I have been using my PB as a KOBO reader since PB was released. I have had a few minor glitches but mostly it has been fine. I had a KOBO and gave it away as it worked so well. Yesterday it started stalling and was slow to start. I thought it might need a refresh so I deleted it and reinstalled it. Now I have nothing. I can't download books (I have 85) and when I did get individual books to download (including the one I have been reading) it tells me I can't read it right now - check back later.

I sent them a message but....I'm in the queue.

I'll try anything.
    11-06-11 05:36 AM
    my kobo ap on pbook stopped working all of a sudden. 1st, new purchases stopped showing up, even though rest of library was there. so i reinstalled kobo app. 6 hrs later, stll no books showing up. i'm pissed
    11-06-11 08:45 AM
    I have had a book hung up and "waiting to download" for 48 hours. They have charged me twice for the book. No previous problems in 6 months....has anyone had a response form Kobo help?
    11-07-11 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD