I know OS2.0 will have a feature to "print" to the PlayBook" but what I really want to do is just PRINT to a network printer! Is there an application to do that or something coming in 2.0?

Thanks,
    02-12-12 03:53 PM
    There is an app called "Hotpot printing for blackberry playbook"from Ricoh which says it will print at locations running the Ricoh cloud printing application. Hopefully more apps from different manufacturers will follow.
    02-12-12 04:49 PM
    I'm with you. I would like a print feature. Both my wife and I have to back out the laptop when it comes to printing. I've seen two print apps but neither of them helped in our situation.
    02-12-12 04:50 PM
    Has anyone tried converting the HP printing app from apk to bar?
    02-12-12 05:17 PM
    There's a few threads in this subject in the PlayBook forum. If you buy a new WiFi printer (HP) ... it will have an email address that you can send docs, photos, & most attachments to and it will print... works great!
    rkinzer, Superfly_FR and poorsha like this.
    02-12-12 10:04 PM
    A limited fall-back: If you have wifi sharing on, then in Win, RightClick on the file and the context menu will offer a Print option. But it will quickly Print, no options to change the printer, pages printed, etc. It just PRINTS immediately to your default printer.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-13-12 10:03 AM
    If you have a gmail account, you can use Google cloud print. I use it and it works like a champ!

Google - Cloud Print print
    02-13-12 06:35 PM
    If you have a gmail account, you can use Google cloud print. I use it and it works like a champ!

I'm looking at this now, seems like a great idea, but would work best with cloud ready printers. It's saying for non-cloud printers that they need to be connected to a PC. Mine is just wifi (so it's not accessible to my kids and doesn't get destroyed!). Printing via wifi seems the best way - maybe as an update to print to go in future.
    02-22-12 09:29 AM
    I'm currently using email printing from my playbook to my Epson Workforce 545 and it works well .Just save the email address as a contact and that makes it easier because the email address they assigned to my printer is long and hard to remember .I emailed Epson and asked if they could make a printing app for the playbook like they have for android and ipad and their reply was " Epson does not have any plans to make such apps for Blackberry "
    I'm hoping someone out there can convert the android app for Epson printers .I would prefer to print thru wifi.
    02-24-12 05:53 PM
    There is also the Print Tool app available. It only does plain text but it works with just about any PCL printer. It's worked with a Ricoh MFP and colour printer and with my home LaserJet 2200 with an external JetDirect connected to the printer by parallel cable.

Again, by working through PCL it probably won't work with most inkjets, but for basic printing you can cut and paste and at least get a plain text output.
    02-24-12 07:03 PM
    Has anyone tried converting the HP printing app from apk to bar?
    I've tried sideloading the HP and Samsung print apps to try with my printers but they force close when trying to print anything.
    02-24-12 07:34 PM
    I think android market has some printing apps. What about converting one of those to allow installation on the PB?
    02-24-12 09:54 PM
    ITR Themes/others,

I have HP eprint web enabled printer and it is set to print via Google Cloud print. Works great either way from my PC or a remote PC, and if I am printing an email opened on PB in gmail (via gmail.com NOT 2.0's resident client email). If in gmail.com on PB I can also print any enclosure to google cloud printer.

Can/How do I get PB to print something to Google Cloud printer from the new client email?

If I am using Chrome on the PC or remote PC I can print a web page includuing graphics to Google Cloud Printer, but not from IE9 - it does not like compatibility-view.

Can/How do I print something like a full web page with graphics being viewed on the PB's Browser to the Google Cloud Printer?

Does anyone have a work around to either, or do we need to wait for an APP or OS version update?

FYI, I can forward my PB emails directly to my HP eprinter's email address (or anyone else's eprinter if they have given me their HPeprint address), so google didn't add any capabilities there. I can do this from within gmail.com or 2.0's resident client email and it works flawlessly for text and enclosures.

FYI, I can also view the PB's web page as a "text view" (that open book in the upper left pane of the web page), then select the text I want to print, then open "Print Tool" App, paste that text, and send it to any printer on my network by inserting its IP address. - but only text, and "text view" does not usually show all of the text on the actual web page.

02-25-12 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD