With the new OS 2.1, one of the supposed updates was to be able to use Print to Go if your PB was on a different network. What does that mean? Can I have someone in my office 'print' something to my PB while I'm on the road? Do I need to be on wifi, or can i bridge? If I need wifi, can I use the hotspot from my phone? Any thoughts here? Being able to use the feature remotely would be great.
    10-04-12 11:31 AM
    With the new OS 2.1, one of the supposed updates was to be able to use Print to Go if your PB was on a different network. What does that mean? Can I have someone in my office 'print' something to my PB while I'm on the road? Do I need to be on wifi, or can i bridge? If I need wifi, can I use the hotspot from my phone? Any thoughts here? Being able to use the feature remotely would be great.
    Yes you have to be on WiFi and I don't know if the hotspot will work.

I am having my wife set it up on her computer at work and will try it.

The only drawback I see is that when you setup PTG on a computer you have to enter you BBID & password. This means whoever you want to have this ability will have that information.
    10-04-12 12:25 PM
    I have yet to get this to work at my office. I try printing from my laptop on my company network while my playbook is on the open wifi network in the office. So in theory it should work based on the new OS update. Yet - it does not.

Its possible that the print to go desktop software needs to be update - the user guide certainly does as my error message is impossible to find - error Drive Version 1.0.143.0 error code 407
    10-04-12 12:38 PM
    I think once the BBID and PW are set up you don't need to input it again, so my office manager wouldn't nessesarily need to know it. Nonetheless its not a big deal if I provide her with that information.
    10-04-12 12:48 PM
    Tsaishen, I looked in the troubleshoot info on the BB website, and it still says you need to be on the same network. I suspect it hasn't been updated yet, but that is contributing to my confusion on this.
    10-04-12 12:50 PM
    Tried at the office today. PB and laptop on different networks and.. no luck. Device not found error message. Works if both are on the same network as before.
    10-04-12 02:22 PM
    currently investigating this at my work, I think it might be a firewall issue. Occasionally I get the BlackBerry Star show up on the Print to Go icon but nothing appears. If you look in the latest security doc, it does seem to suggest the new route on page 6 doesn't require both to be on the same wifi network. This doc 2.1 differs from version 2 in that this one doesn't specifically say both devices should be on the same network. The only thing it does state is to ensure that the Computer or tablet is not connected to your organization's network using a VPN connection. I will post the results of the test on here.
    10-04-12 03:11 PM
    OK have found out how the system work. Ran some tests this morning on our network and it seems that the transfer of the file from the PC to PlayBook does need to be on the same network as it uses the private ip address of the PlayBook. There is some communication between the PC and the RIM network, but this is simply to exchange security credentials and get the public key.
    We have both a wired and wireless network and currently both are on totally different ranges so we had to configure our firewalls to allow traffic internally between devices.

For those wishing to diagnose this further I found that the Print to go app creates a log file (on my windows box it saved it into the Documents folder) Called PrintToGoLog.txt
    10-05-12 06:30 AM
    Anyone able to get this to work? Why report this as a feature in the new OS if it doesn't work ?

If the playbook has to be on the same network, Print to Go is no easier/better than moving files via wifi or sending by email. Now to be able to print to a playbook out in the field, this would be helpful.
    10-10-12 12:35 PM
    Anyone know where I can find the download for windows - the link my playbook is showing doesn't contain anything
    10-11-12 11:59 AM
    Anyone know where I can find the download for windows - the link my playbook is showing doesn't contain anything
    http://ca.blackberry.com/software/de...int-to-go.html
    10-11-12 12:32 PM
    thanks, downloaded and working exactly as expected.
    10-11-12 02:37 PM
    Print to Go doesn't seem to work for me either. I was really looking forward to using this app, especially with the new feature!! I use my laptop on a LAN cable so I actually really needed this to work. Hope they resolve this issue! If they can't work this out they shouldn't have promoted it as a new feature. Tried it when I was only on WiFi and unfortunately it didn't work.

What a bummer. I liked how the Print to Go app worked and how it was styled.
    10-11-12 03:08 PM
    Just wanted to give another shout out to Print to Go. When it first came out, it worked well but only if the computer and PlayBook were on the same wifi network. This meant I could only use it at home as my work LAN does not talk to our wifi network unless we VPN in and unfortunately I havent been able to get VPN working on my PlayBook. Anyway, after the latest updates (2.1.x on the PlayBook) and the latest Print to Go desktop software for my computer (BlackBerry Print to Go desktop software updated to v1.0.161 | CrackBerry.com), everything works like a charm. I just received emails from different people with documents for a meeting I need to attend tomorrow. I just used Print to Go for these various items and now everything is nicely organized on my PlayBook. I know I could use the PlayBook's email app to download these attachments, but it's so much more convenient to use Print to Go.
    10-30-12 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD