I grabbed my pb today and saw that there was a notification indicating an update to Spark Chess. I went to download the update, but the buttons said I needed to pay $1.99 more. I uninstalled the app in an attempt to reauthorize it to my pb only to have app world now tell me "the price of this application has changed." Now I cannot find a way to redownload the old version and only see the option to repurchase the app for another $6.99.

This is the second application (Mindmaps was the first) which I "purchased" on app world for my pb only to have brief access to the app. While I have had a few qualms with the lack of pb support in various areas this is what my just be what makes me never want to deal with RIM again.

If a developer what to update and release a modified version of an app as v2 and treat it as an entirely separate product that is their choice and it is the consumer's choice if they want to repurchase a slight variant. But, letting a developer replace a previously purchased product with a higher price one forcing the consumer to repurchase without the option to easily access the previously purchased content is unethical.

If there is a way to download older versions through app world then RIM has hidden it ridiculously well and if RIM has any respect for their customers they need to make the option far more accessible. If RIM finds developer repricing while removing the ability to access previously purchased content an acceptable business practice then let the remaining customers know now so we can decide whether to continue using RIM products or to just walk away now.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-15-11 07:31 PM
    Wait, so you're saying the previous version was NOT free, and you actually paid for it and were using it?

We had been led to believe (I thought) that this particular "gotcha" was unique to the situation where a FREE app was changed to NON-FREE.

If it applies to any app that has an increase in price, that really sucks. Unacceptable.

It means you can't rely on App World to have a copy of anything available for reinstallation at a later date.

Good thing the next update for 1.0.7 will supposedly fix the problem with backing up which many of us have (or had... I did another security wipe and can back up again, for now).
    11-15-11 10:44 PM
    Yes, that has been my complaint. It is NOT just that free apps (or give-aways) now cost, but apps you've purchased canNOT be reinstalled from appworld - you have to purchase at the higher price to reinstall. Appworld does not provide an archive of your apps. It merely provides a record of an app you have purchased but a price change leaves you high and dry.

And I have to read that thread again but I thought it referred to fixing the restore backup, not necessarily fixing the backup process. We shall see.
    11-16-11 12:35 AM
    wow, so if i buy an app for .99cents and they want to now charge 1.99... to get an update I would have to pay an additional .99 or if I uninstall and reinstall i would have to pay the full 1.99??
    11-16-11 08:55 AM
    wow, so if i buy an app for .99cents and they want to now charge 1.99... to get an update I would have to pay an additional .99 or if I uninstall and reinstall i would have to pay the full 1.99??
    Developers have the option to charge for an upgrade to an existing installation. Most developers (myself included) are concerned about the issues that you raise, and avoid this option.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with developers wanting to be paid for the work that they do. But, given the technical deficiencies in the current App World, they are asking for trouble when they try to exercise their rights. I wish RIM would fix the many problems surrounding price increases of any kind but I am not expecting action any time soon, if ever.

In the meantime, I plan to raise the price of my app when I add some major features in the near future. But I won't be asking people to pay for the upgrade if they have already bought the app. I wish that I could, but I won't.
    11-16-11 09:26 AM
    RIM, build it in your policy to have free updates once the app is installed! I was not aware of this happening, but this is plain unacceptable and a good way to **** people off. For once, be humble: this would never have happened at Apple. And as an aside: don't put through any bleeping book apps. They are annoying and dumb and makes Appworld look desperate. Or at least don't list them on the 'newest' list.
    11-16-11 09:38 AM
    RIM, build it in your policy to have free updates once the app is installed! I was not aware of this happening, but this is plain unacceptable and a good way to **** people off.
    No, sorry, but as a developer I couldn't support this. Why do you think RIM should have any say in whether or not I want to provide free updates?

Simple example: let's say I've got 1000 current customers. I spend two months working hard and add all kinds of amazing and wonderful things to my app. Instead of it costing a buck, I decide it's now worth $5, so that's what I set the price to. For past users, who paid only a buck, I decide they should pay $4 to get the upgrade, for parity. Or I'm a bit generous and say they should pay $3, so they get a dollar off the "amazing" upgrade.

You think RIM should force me to provide that update to those 1000 past customers, who spent only $1, for FREE? Crazy talk. (To be clear: I might personally do that anyway... depends on lots of things, but it's not RIM's decision!)

The problem is not that updates are not free... developers do have the option to make updates free if they wish, and it is their right to decide.

The problem is that App World is broken, and if a developer chooses not to make the update free, then past customers are screwed if they lose the copy that's installed on their PlayBook! They bought that app for $1, they have the right to keep it installed and not get (and pay for) the update. App World's current design prevents that. That's the problem.
    11-16-11 09:49 AM
    Peter I totally understand where you are coming from as a developer
    11-16-11 11:21 AM
    Thanks, manofice. And I'm sure developers totally understand where users are on this, so we're really all in the same boat.

We need to pester RIM about it! Squeaky wheels and all that... :-)
    11-16-11 11:31 AM
    I also agree. I've gotten free upgrades for some software and I've paid an UPGRADE PRICE. In addition, with those upgrades - I'm also free to NOT upgrade figuring I do not need the new features (or bloated features). But rarely do I have to basically repurchase an app - archives are generally available on many sites or I've got the original install package and my ID-code still works.

But appworld's model does not provide a reasonable mechanism. That plus the constant irritation of seeing the ! point for those same 4 apps, each and every day!!!!!!! Leave me alone - it's like spam.
    11-16-11 11:50 AM
    developers if you are planning to charge 'more' for an upgrade perhaps it would be better to make a 'seperate' entry for this 'new' and improved app.
    balth likes this.
    11-16-11 03:10 PM
    I paid for that upgrade and I just can't get it...
    App world keeps asking me to pay again u.u
    11-16-11 05:06 PM
    I paid for that upgrade and I just can't get it...
    App world keeps asking me to pay again u.u
    You need to forward any receipts that you received to App World billing at the following address:

appworldbilling@rim.com

Tell them about your problem and hopefully they will fix it for you. Good luck.
    11-16-11 05:27 PM
    As a workaround when app prices go up could developers make a new separate version? For example, Mindmaps 1.x = $1.99, Mindmaps 2.x =$2.99, etc, and leave both versions in App World?
    11-16-11 06:59 PM
    As a workaround when app prices go up could developers make a new separate version? For example, Mindmaps 1.x = $1.99, Mindmaps 2.x =$2.99, etc, and leave both versions in App World?
    Unfortunately, among other problems, that would mean all the existing reviews/ratings would be lost. In many cases that would have a crippling effect on sales, as it would in effect mean starting from scratch in building a good ranking in your app's category.

It's a valid workaround, but not a good solution.
    11-16-11 07:48 PM
    Question for the app devs who responded,
    do you mean that when you upgrade, you are given a separate option about what the existing app users will be charged? So, you can set a new price, and then ALSO set the upgrade price for existing purchasers?

I had the impression, from the OP, that if you increased the price, AppWorld would automatically require your existing users to pay, without consulting you. So that even if you want to give upgrades free to your early adopters, RIM's appworld would charge (us) anyhow.

If the devs have the power, then I'm okay with that. It's your app, and if you make my life miserable, I can refuse to pay / delete your app (or, if I love it, I'll continue supporting it).
    But AppWorld overriding your preference would be sad, 'cause then you could never increase the new purchase price without also affecting your loyal customers too.
    11-16-11 08:31 PM
    Question for the app devs who responded,
    do you mean that when you upgrade, you are given a separate option about what the existing app users will be charged? So, you can set a new price, and then ALSO set the upgrade price for existing purchasers?
    I have attempted to explain the options available to developers and two of the bugs in App World that RIM really needs to fix:

We can set an app's price, either lower or higher, at any time. The new price will apply only to future purchasers. It may take a while for the new price to be propagated to all of RIM's servers, so the price that appears in App World may not be the one you are asked to pay when you check out. Routine price changes should not be confused with the following situation:

When we upload a new release we can optionally set an upgrade price. This price will apply if the customer chooses to upgrade from the previous version. As a another poster noted above, there is an annoying problem if the customer does not choose to upgrade - the nag notification keeps returning as long as the old version remains installed. If you get tired of the nagging and delete the app, then later re-install it, the current full purchase price will be applied (not just the upgrade price). This is likely the problem that the OP was complaining about.
    11-16-11 09:34 PM
    It won't be a problem that 'reviews' disappear, already the reviews section are not any good and does not show any real value. A review for v1 is and will always be a review of v1. And when v2 is out- a new review is required.

AppWorld for Playbook is even worse, the review section also shows reviews for phone versions of the PB app.

Sent from using Tapatalk
    11-16-11 11:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD