I dont understand why an app is $4 on the playbook but same exact app is free on android. for example angry birds or tapatalk. im using it from android sdeloading. but in app world its $4!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    02-03-12 10:03 AM
    Supply and demand.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-03-12 10:12 AM
    Supply and demand.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Almost.

It's Ads

The number of eyeballs that will look at an ad on the free version of an Android App dwarfs the existing BB Playbook user base.

The developer is betting on enough Android users to download the app and click on the Ad banner to make up for the development cost. The developer must feel that there is not enough users for PlayBook that will make up the cost, hence the $4.00 price tag.
    02-03-12 10:25 AM
    I dont understand why an app is $4 on the playbook but same exact app is free on android. for example angry birds or tapatalk. im using it from android sdeloading. but in app world its $4!

This may appear to be an inane comment, but I would like you to consider it anyway: the price depends entirely on what the author thinks s/he needs to charge in order to yield a reasonable return on investment. More popular authors like Rovio have much more flexibility to charge more because there is higher demand for their products.

A professional developer needs to charge more that zero in order to make a living. Markets like App World and the Apple App Store are attractive to professional developers because it is actually possible to sell a product (as opposed to giving it away.) This is not so in the Android market which is distant third place when it comes to numbers of downloads for paid apps.

Offering an app for free may or may not reflect a sort of capitulation - the Android market is rife with piracy and in a lot of cases a developer will try to make some income by including ads in the app.
    02-03-12 10:25 AM
    There's some cost incurred in supporting a new platform, for one thing.

The other thing is, when a lot of these apps were first introduced, they cost $$$ on Android and iOS, too, but with demand falling over time the publishers have lowered the prices.

Using Angry Birds, for example, I understand that the PlayBook version is priced exactly the same as the HD version for the iPad, but since it's been available for the iPad longer, it's now discounted heavily in Apple's App Store.
    02-03-12 10:27 AM
    There's some cost incurred in supporting a new platform, for one thing.

The other thing is, when a lot of these apps were first introduced, they cost $$$ on Android and iOS, too, but with demand falling over time the publishers have lowered the prices.

Using Angry Birds, for example, I understand that the PlayBook version is priced exactly the same as the HD version for the iPad, but since it's been available for the iPad longer, it's now discounted heavily in Apple's App Store.

i guess that makes a lil sense but jeeze! i guess some people have the $ to spend lol

Last edited by BBM.Duchess; 02-03-12 at 10:36 AM.
    02-03-12 10:33 AM
    Almost.

It's Ads

The number of eyeballs that will look at an ad on the free version of an Android App dwarfs the existing BB Playbook user base.

The developer is betting on enough Android users to download the app and click on the Ad banner to make up for the development cost. The developer must feel that there is not enough users for PlayBook that will make up the cost, hence the $4.00 price tag.

like adsense. from youtube.

Last edited by BBM.Duchess; 02-03-12 at 10:37 AM.
    02-03-12 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD