I am probably too basic an user. My main email account is not Gmail, it's a basic local provider, with a POP server.

While I do retrieve my mails, I am unable to prevent the Playbook to connect every now and then, for dozens of minutes, preventing any other machine to access the same account. (I have plenty of mails that I leave on the server indeed)

I thought avoiding this behavior was the purpose of the "synchro interval = manual" setting, in the accounts. No way.
    I went up to deleting the account and recreating it. No way.
    As soon as the Mail app is launched, and even when quit afterwards, the PB still connects and reconnects for hours.
    The only way that works for now is... shutting off the PB...

So: do you know how I can tell this machine to connect ONLY when asked, and drop the connection afterwards, on a POP server?
    TIA!
    Herv
    10-13-12 03:43 PM
    How did you set the account up? Accounts, add, email, advanced, pop?
    10-13-12 04:45 PM
    How did you set the account up? Accounts, add, email, advanced, pop?
    yes, just like that, and at the end, the 'sync = manual' bit (instead of every ten mn or whatever)
    10-13-12 05:04 PM
    Sounds like the playbook is seeing all mail as unread as pop normally only retrieves new mail, if I'm remembering right. I just plugged my pb in after letting the battery drain all the way to recalibrate it. Is there an option for only retrieving mail for x days?,
    10-13-12 05:15 PM
    Sounds like the playbook is seeing all mail as unread as pop normally only retrieves new mail, if I'm remembering right. I just plugged my pb in after letting the battery drain all the way to recalibrate it. Is there an option for only retrieving mail for x days?,
    Thanks KBZ for following!
    Yes, there is this option, I left it at its default value, 'last 30 days'
    10-14-12 04:27 AM
    Has it helped to lower that?
    10-14-12 05:47 AM
    Has it helped to lower that?
    Well, I never changed it; I'll try to set it to 8 days now. But I fear it has mostly an influence in the initial retrieving, in my case (I connect daily)
    10-14-12 06:39 AM
    Well if you don't want it checking and downloading when you have a need why don't you just use the browser? Isn't the point of having it in the client so it will check and download? I know some clients have an option to leave messages on the server, unsure about this one or if it works right and sometimes there are settings if you log in with the browser to set it to leave messages on the server. A lot of pop accounts will download the email to the client and then delete them from the server.
    10-14-12 06:47 AM
    indeed what I need is a pop client that will download while leaving mails on the server until I delete them locally, and that then allows me to read offline. I am in a place where I just cannot access permanently, and still want to have my email archive both sides including offline on the tablet.
    For now I (painfully) sideloaded the andro port Kaiten mail, that at least provides this, but I definitely would prefer the native mailer to do this.
    That the largest evolution announced in OS2.1 for mail be portrait mode just shocks me.
    10-14-12 07:04 AM
    Can I ask what your settings are for the pop account? I can't get mine to work at all for yahoo pop.
    10-14-12 07:35 AM
    prevent autoconnect in Mail?-yahoo-2.pngprevent autoconnect in Mail?-yahoo-mail.jpgThis is what I find in options and about yahoo pop mail.
    10-14-12 07:52 AM
    That's odd. When trying to setup as pop no go but I tried setting up by just user and password and it works even though the screens show you must pay to access.
    10-14-12 08:20 AM
    There is/was a way to change Yahoo to an Asian account and it could be set up as pop for the Free account but if I recall that caused other issues just trying to use Yahoo for its search or news.
    10-14-12 10:15 AM
    Yep, I wasn't surprised it wouldn't work trying to set it up as pop but did when just putting in the user and password. I think the OP said his from provider which may give more options than the usual free accounts do.
    10-14-12 10:25 AM