Awesome news for Newpaper readers. PressReader has made appearance on blackberry Playbook. Its great app with access to newspapers from across the world. Its one of Super app on iPad, so good to see big players making headway to Playbook too. Loving it

PressReader brings 1,900+ digital newspaper replicas to iPad
    08-03-11 07:45 PM
    Says app for play book, coming soon!
    08-03-11 08:10 PM
    App is already available in App World on Playbook. They released it today.

Free PressReader - Download PressReader - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    08-03-11 08:17 PM
    installed this app. denied the permissions (why does it need access to my files and playbook info?). all i get is a black screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 08:37 PM
    i allowed the permissions and it works great! You even get 7 papers for free!
    08-03-11 09:17 PM
    I think it needs access to files as you will be downloading the daily editions of newspapers to your PB and it will need to access them.
    08-03-11 09:23 PM
    VERRRRY costly . . . . . after the small seven issue trial:
    Each issue costs $.99 each

Not too bad a cost, I suppose, if you are on the road and want your local paper, and your boss is paying for it
    Last edited by mandony; 08-03-11 at 10:00 PM.
    08-03-11 09:58 PM
    VERRRRY costly after the small trial:
    Each issue costs $.99 each
    But there is a subscription - monthly - of $29.99 or something similar that allows for you to read everything at least according to their website. I'm not sure I would read that many newspapers ever though but at least something came out for the Playbook
    08-03-11 10:00 PM
    And if you already subscribe to a newspaper that offers you a digital edition like I do with the Montreal Gazette, there is no cost to you for using it. Great app...looks so much better than reading the digital edition on the net.
    08-03-11 10:08 PM
    Awesome news for Newpaper readers. PressReader has made appearance on blackberry Playbook. Its great app with access to newspapers from across the world. Its one of Super app on iPad, so good to see big players making headway to Playbook too. Loving it

PressReader brings 1,900+ digital newspaper replicas to iPad
    Thanks for the heads up! Must have application!
    08-03-11 10:30 PM
    Really excellent app. Nice to see this come to playbook.
    08-03-11 10:45 PM
    So far, it seems good. I like the fact that if you double click on an article, it will maximize the article into columns so that it is easier to read. If you then pinch to zoom on that, you are presented with a paragraph format to read the articles, i.e., no columns.

I'm still unclear as to what the monthly subscription actually gets you as it almost implies that you can read as many newspapers as you wanted to. But I'm not quite sure if that's what they really mean.
    08-03-11 10:50 PM
    Do the subscriptions bring you anything that you can't find on the online sites or the RSS feeds?

I only ask, because it would seem rather.....I think "dumb" works......dumb to pay for something that you can get for free.

Example being, is anything especially important that I cannot get from my local Star-Telegram, from either its website or RSS feeds - RSS | Star-Telegram.com ??
    08-03-11 10:59 PM
    Do the subscriptions bring you anything that you can't find on the online sites or the RSS feeds?

I only ask, because it would seem rather.....I think "dumb" works......dumb to pay for something that you can get for free.

Example being, is anything especially important that I cannot get from my local Star-Telegram, from either its website or RSS feeds - RSS | Star-Telegram.com ??
    Both the websites and the RSS feeds only have the top stories they don't have all the feature stories. Also they are NOT presented in newpaper format which some prefer. The PressReader App, basically lets you read the actual newspaper on your PlayBook, ALL the stories. And when you click on a headline it lets you drill down and presents you that story all in one package in a bookreader like format which is VERY easy to read. I found the cost to be reasonable, about what our actual paper costs, but today I enjoyed it for FREE, thanks to #1 of my free 7!
    08-04-11 07:51 AM
    though i like this app, i feel that it is a memory hog.
    08-04-11 09:00 AM
    See - I wrestle with apps like this...you can get the VERY same news by subscribing to RSS feeds and using any of the dozens of readers out there...why do people feel the need to drop $.99/issue, or $30/month to subscribe to the same information/material???

I mean, is it a UI thing? (for the record, I tried subscribing to USA Today on my Kindle, and ran into the same issue...cancelled it when I realized it wasn't really providing myself with any REAL value above/beyond RSS feeds...)
    08-04-11 09:10 AM
    Have PressReader also with my Galaxy Tab through ReadersHub.
    And finding one for PlayBook is definitely a joy!
    The Free 7 issues is worth the heck a lot for reading newspapers from around the world!
    08-04-11 11:41 AM
    Since it sounds as if some of you have used this application, either now on the pb or elsewhere.....

When I subscribed to a paper, it said something like Additional subscriptions $0.99. I guess first, I did not set anything up and hope this is not linked to my Appworld "purchasing" account.

Here's the box:

"Account Status
    Subscription plan: Blackberry Device
    Trial
    Remaining credit: 5
    Additional issue price: US $0.99

Confirm/Cancel"

But I have not established any account with PressReader.

So I can get automatic downloads of the Washington Post, for instance, and 6 others it will not cost me anything until I subscribe to the 8th publication?

Thanks for clarifying.
    08-04-11 05:48 PM
    You're correct, you will not be charged anything...once the remaining credits are down to 0 you will have to subscribe.
    08-04-11 07:53 PM
    Yeah, but they don't carry any papers I'd bother subscribing to!
    08-05-11 08:21 AM
    Nice app! Unfortunately, i have to pay 0.99$ for a free newspaper in The Netherlands (available as a PDF as well). The newspaper I want to read isn't updated since 31 March
    just need to wait i think

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 12:48 AM
    I'm getting a can not reach network error this morning
    08-06-11 08:11 AM
    Looks like the issue was my newspaper's site...all good now
    08-06-11 10:05 AM
    This is a pretty cool app. I like the way it works with news papers. Two things I cant see paying $29.95 a month, way to pricey and they dont have the New York Times how can you not have the times.
    08-06-11 10:16 AM
    See - I wrestle with apps like this...you can get the VERY same news by subscribing to RSS feeds and using any of the dozens of readers out there...why do people feel the need to drop $.99/issue, or $30/month to subscribe to the same information/material???

I mean, is it a UI thing? (for the record, I tried subscribing to USA Today on my Kindle, and ran into the same issue...cancelled it when I realized it wasn't really providing myself with any REAL value above/beyond RSS feeds...)
    It's an apple thing, you need an app for everything and sadly everyone else is just falling in line. Makes great sense for them they get more income, terrible for us cause it takes more money out of our pockets.
    08-06-11 10:40 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD