View Poll Results: Would you buy PowerAMP for PB?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • No thanks, I'm happy with mp3

4 7.27%
  • Yes, but only if under $3

20 36.36%
  • Yes, I'd pay up to $5

22 40.00%
  • Yes, I'd pay up to $10

9 16.36%
    Hi all,

Apologies for the new thread, but I couldn't setup a poll when replying to earlier threads.

I would love to see PowerAmp (and flac/ogg support) for the Playbook (and eventually BB10). Would you?

I noted from an earlier thread that the apk-to-bar conversion did not work and so I emailed the developer last night regarding any intentions for native development and/or a more involved porting of the android version. He responded saying that "currently, this is not in established plans, but we'll evaluate it." Nothing that newsworthy I guess, but at least it wasn't a flat out "No."

I'm not sure myself the value of overwhelming developers with emails/requests (especially smaller ones without EAs to manage their inbox), so I thought perhaps we could get those interested to respond to the poll below and then direct the developer's attention here. I'm open for other suggestions too...

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by primusd; 02-29-12 at 11:29 AM.
    02-29-12 11:03 AM
    I'd pay for it.
    02-29-12 02:16 PM
    I shouldn't need to pay for it, it should be part of the native media player as it is on the phone OS.

Flac is a free codec anyway, so it should be straightforward.
    02-29-12 05:16 PM
    Ogg is a free codec too.
    SDM7171 likes this.
    03-01-12 02:31 AM
    Yep, fair points re: flac and ogg being open source, and thus it would be ideal to also have them in the native player... but even if they did (which would be a huge +), the app itself isn't that great and the broader functionality of PowerAMP seems far more robust and mature.
    03-01-12 08:54 AM
    I use power amp on my Galaxy and would pay for it on my PlayBook. It's a good product and I believe in paying for useful stuff so that developers get rewarded.

But it is a pity the native player is limited..

Rgrds
    03-05-12 05:58 AM
    i love poweramp i have it on my phone id pay for it
    03-05-12 06:32 AM
    I'd pay $10 for FLAC support, and the player to memorise my repeat/shuffle settings, on the Playbook.
    03-05-12 10:58 AM
    I love using PowerAMP on my HTC Incredible. I'd gladly pay for it again on my PB. Excellent software and support.

~Ex
    03-05-12 02:47 PM
    I shouldn't need to pay for it, it should be part of the native media player as it is on the phone OS.

Flac is a free codec anyway, so it should be straightforward.
    Turns out it is pretty straightforward.

Managed to get a file playing after a couple of days of playing around with libFLAC, the NDK, and the audio library.

and yes, would pay for poweramp.

Would play for pretty much any player that offers FLAC, AC3, and Matroska support.
    03-20-12 03:50 AM
    I would pay up to $10 for a good music player, I can't believe more people don't complain about how awful the native player is
    03-20-12 07:09 AM
    I have been lurking on this site for a month or so but it is this thread that made me sign up for an account.
    I would 100% pay for this app.

I used to have an Archos 70 that streamed FLACs from my NAS to my HiFi.
    I managed to break that tablet and took the plunge to a playbook. The two main negative points are lack of FLAC support and no streaming.

I kept with the Playbook for the same reasons you guys have - it is excellent. And at the back of my mind I knew that these things would eventually be sorted and until then, MP3s would have to do.

So, yes please PowerAmp.
    03-20-12 08:02 AM
    I wouldn't pay for it (or maybe .99$ if I really liked the GUI). Why? Because even though a lot of my music is lossless, converting it to mp3/aac is faster than one can transfer files over USB to the Playbook (something like 3-4MB/s). So theres no time difference between copying the flac files to the PB or load them into foobar (or your converter of choice), select the PB as destination and convert the files.
    03-20-12 08:33 AM
    would pay for ANY good music player. the native one is horrrrrriiiibbbbllllleeeee
    03-20-12 09:11 AM
    First FLAC player (called FLAC Player) is out...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=722662
    05-08-12 10:06 PM
    Put me down in the "I will pay for it" crowd.
    05-08-12 11:33 PM
    Why would you guys pay for it? I could whip one up rather quickly considering that ogg and flac have already been ported to QNX long before RIM had any connection with it.
    Mugenski and primusd like this.
    05-09-12 12:29 AM
    I'll take a better music player in general, but not interested in specific FLAC player.

Do all you people who want it have some crazy good headphones or something or are you just swept up in the hype because the speakers are nowhere near good enough to make the format worthwhile, and the majority of headphones will make any different irrelevant as well.
    xsacha likes this.
    05-09-12 04:33 AM
    1) While I would welcome a far more robust native music app, the current one blows.

2) I would pay for it because I am keen to support a burgeoning PB/BB10 developer community (but would also happily take a free one if that's on offer ^^)

3) While I do have headphone that would pick up the differences (not that I use them often on my PB), my interest for a flac player has less to do with sound quality and more to do with being lazy... most of my music library is already in flac and I don't want to have to convert things every time I want to transfer an album or show to my PB.
    05-09-12 08:54 AM
    1) While I would welcome a far more robust native music app, the current one blows.

2) I would pay for it because I am keen to support a burgeoning PB/BB10 developer community (but would also happily take a free one if that's on offer ^^)

3) While I do have headphone that would pick up the differences (not that I use them often on my PB), my interest for a flac player has less to do with sound quality and more to do with being lazy... most of my music library is already in flac and I don't want to have to convert things every time I want to transfer an album or show to my PB.

Same reason for me - a couple of years ago I decided to get rid of all of my CD's and ripped them all into flac files.. I think flac is the best format for this..
    05-09-12 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD