03-13-12 12:38 AM
    I don't think there's any version of Chrome that's compatible with QNX - it would certainly be awesome though.
    03-13-12 09:56 AM
    I mean build it via NDK. We need to come up with a UI for the settings section though since it's aligned with the Android framework.
    03-13-12 10:09 AM
    But... Why?
    Simple Browser,Secure Browser or Native Browser!
    03-13-12 12:27 PM
    slingbox...that's why.
    03-13-12 12:59 PM
    But... Why?
    Also, Chrome is the only browser to beat the Playbook in speed tests. That's why
    03-13-12 01:15 PM
    But... Why?
    None of them allows you to store passwords and logins for personalized sites.

And that's a reason I browse Internet rather using my phone than my PlayBook. I believe that Playbook is the only tablet on the market that doesn't have this option.

So Chrome port would fill this gap and make a Playbook better tool for everyday use.

03-13-12 01:38 PM
    Do all the extensions and what not work on the Mobile version? That would be a huge benefit, IMO.
    03-13-12 01:43 PM
    But... Why?
    Sync of all the settings (including bookmarks and favorite sites) from your desktop to the tablet, and the feeling of another Webkit engine rendering the sites android-style, but fully utilizing the Playbook Hardware (not just on sandbox) hence the NDK suggestion.
    03-13-12 08:25 PM
    I think webkit would be much easier to port than anything else. If we are porting something else though then i vote full blown firefox and not that thing that they made for android. Chrome for android could be done but it would need a lot of work to switch all the apis from android to equivalent playbook/qnx apis. A lot of the code would be simple changes but it would be A LOT of simple changes. Then you have to pray they didn't use some api that for example renders to the screen because then you have something complicated to rewrite. If I could wrap my head around how most open source software is structured I would try but I have issues with that and I'm also not familiar with anything related to android development.

The reason it would be difficult is you would have to write the code for every api used on android that does not exist on qnx. Could be pretty terrible, could be painless.
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 03-13-12 at 10:08 PM.
    03-13-12 10:05 PM