Playbook newbie here..I do not understand the Podcast app that is on the playbook. What is it supposed to do? When I open it up and click on one of the podcasts, it never opens, I just was trying to figure out what these podcasts were. Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but for the life of me I cannot seem to figure it out! If anyone could shed some light for me, that would be great, thanks!
    09-24-12 05:14 PM
    Which podcast are you searching for? Just type it in the search field on the top right, and subscribe to it. If it doesn't come up in your search, get the URL from itunes, swipe down from the top, and enter it into the RSS feed.

It works fairly well, although there is some typing lag now that never used to be there. Hopefully 2.1 will fix that.
    09-24-12 05:40 PM
    Please do not laugh, but I am asking what is a Podcast, and when I open the app what I am supposed to do with all that is listed when you open the app. I tried to download a few to see what it was all about, but it never downloads, always tell me it is an error.
    juacas likes this.
    09-24-12 06:03 PM
    For an example try....Categories > then High Definition Video > then Alaska HDTV > choose an episode > watch
    09-24-12 07:22 PM
    Please do not laugh, but I am asking what is a Podcast, and when I open the app what I am supposed to do with all that is listed when you open the app. I tried to download a few to see what it was all about, but it never downloads, always tell me it is an error.
    A Podcast is like a radio program specially recorded for Internet use. You have to subscribe to one of them in order to listen to it.
    09-24-12 07:27 PM
    I tried to download a few to see what it was all about, but it never downloads, always tell me it is an error.
    Which podcasts are you trying to download specifically? When I get home in a few hours, I will try to see if I can download them to see if they work for you.

PS - There is no such thing as a dumb question. We may bicker and argue, sometimes strongly, on this forum, but I would say that all of us are willing to help answer any questions when we can.
    09-24-12 08:16 PM
    I just opened the app and tried to download the first few I saw on the pages just to see what they were...none of them were able to be downloaded...I appreciate your help!
    09-24-12 09:40 PM
    Does the Playbook come with a native podcast app?
    09-25-12 03:25 PM
    Yes it does, but not a very good one. Many of the podcasts, even very popular ones, that you search for, will not be found. You can key in the RSS feeds manually to subscribe to podcasts, but that shouldn't be necessary.
    09-25-12 03:57 PM
    It's Nth America only. With such a large part of the potential market getting a podcast app free, devs probably wont be interested in making one for the rest of us.
    09-25-12 05:36 PM
    Doing some exploring, eh Wafa?

Like said above, podcast are online shows. Think of them as radio shows broadcasted online, or video channels. To give you a clearer idea, here is my list of Podcast.

Content can range from total time waster to professional level advise. I'd stay clear from the feeds in the builtin search as they are mostly outdated and go to the source for the RSS feed address and enter it manually.

Have fun!

It does is a few places. You can get it as an update if you're behind an US proxy, or you can sideload it (link for thread in the signature).
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-26-12 at 10:39 AM.
    09-26-12 10:30 AM
    Ok, thanks. I'll try and get my head round using a US proxy, but in the meantime does anyone have any recommendations for a good (preferably free) Podcast manager?
    09-27-12 07:12 AM
    Ok, thanks. I'll try and get my head round using a US proxy, but in the meantime does anyone have any recommendations for a good (preferably free) Podcast manager?
    There isn't a good one even if you are willing to pay for one.
    09-27-12 11:11 AM
    LOL, fair enough, so what is considered to be the best of the worst??
    09-27-12 06:52 PM
    LOL, fair enough, so what is considered to be the best of the worst??
    I have gone back to the stock Podcasts app, which does almost nothing, but what it does it does reliably. The best of the alternatives I have tried is CarCast, which often fails to find really popular podcasts when you search for them.

I have not tried sideloading Android apps. I will, but probably not soon. If something like BeyondPod would work on a PlayBook, that would be a huge improvement.
    09-27-12 07:45 PM
    @digonei

Thanks for helping a newbie to learn about the opportunity to install an easy to use podcast catcher. I'm an avid podcast listener and I was really dissappointed about the awful solutions for the Playbook.
    10-06-12 08:53 AM
    I was using Podcat but now when I try to download something I get a "Not able to start without a valid wifi connection" message.
    Even when it was working, if I used it to play a podcast I couldn't use the PB media player to listen to music or watch video afterwards without a restart.
    10-07-12 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD