08-12-12 07:36 PM
33 12
tools
    What's the best podcast app for the playbook, it must be able to handle audio and video.

Thanks.
    08-09-12 05:28 PM
    I haven't seen a good one yet. I don't consider having to type in the RSS feed of a podcast to subscribe acceptable, and the search function (if there is one) on every app I have tried fails to find even many very popular podcasts.

Someone can make some money writing even a fair to middling podcatcher.
    08-09-12 06:01 PM
    Is there one that somebody has ported from android, don't like those apps but am willing to give one a go.
    08-09-12 06:04 PM
    There is a good android one...Beyond podcast manager...the problem i had was that once the evaluation period was over i did not know how to buy a key from the android market place.
    So I guess that makes my answer no there is no good podcast manager for PB
    08-10-12 11:37 AM
    Ya, I have tried a few sideloaded apps and while better than the stock app on the Playbook (which is horrible) I would not call them good. It's definitely an area I am still searching for a good Playbook solution.
    08-10-12 12:19 PM
    I actually just emailed the dev for PodTrapper this morning, asking him to please consider a PB app. I've used PodTrapper on my BB's and android tablet and like it a lot.

I have to wonder whether devs are waiting for BB10 to provide unified offerings.
    08-10-12 12:57 PM
    I like and use podtrapper alot as well on my 'curve' and it is very good. I asked the developer almost a year ago asking about PB support. Never got an answer.
    08-10-12 01:19 PM
    I like and use podtrapper alot as well on my 'curve' and it is very good. I asked the developer almost a year ago asking about PB support. Never got an answer.
    I know he only works part-time, so I'm hesitant to dump on the guy yet. I'll post if I get any info.
    08-10-12 01:25 PM
    Sorry to ask, but did you try the native podcast app? I find it to work well enough...
    08-10-12 03:00 PM
    The native podcast app is not on my playbook. Don't think it is available in the uk for whatever stupid reason.
    08-10-12 03:03 PM
    The native podcast app is not on my playbook. Don't think it is available in the uk for whatever stupid reason.
    That isn't an issue my friend, all you need is an US proxy and you can get it as an OS update.

Either that or download it the thread below and install using one of the many sideloading methods.

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...er-etc-725127/
    08-10-12 03:11 PM
    Thanks i will try that when i get home.
    08-10-12 03:14 PM
    I haven't seen a good one yet. I don't consider having to type in the RSS feed of a podcast to subscribe acceptable, and the search function (if there is one) on every app I have tried fails to find even many very popular podcasts.

Someone can make some money writing even a fair to middling podcatcher.
    RE the stock Podcast app, the description above sums it up perfectly. It's search function is completely useless.
    08-10-12 03:27 PM
    Sorry to ask, but did you try the native podcast app? I find it to work well enough...
    Honestly, I've found it to be miserable (when it loads). It either freezes, doesn't load in the background, and when it does work, I can't find anything. It's pretty terrible compared to other potential options.
    08-10-12 03:48 PM
    Ok i have tried it and although it finds my video podcast of windows weekly, it actually downloads the audio version.
    I will continue to look for other options.
    08-10-12 05:20 PM
    Ok i have tried it and although it finds my video podcast of windows weekly, it actually downloads the audio version.
    I will continue to look for other options.
    You can subscribe by pulling down the menu from the top, clicking on RSS, and keying in the RSS feed, but I had to do that for 9 of the first 10 podcasts I tried to subscribe to, the search function was nearly useless.
    08-10-12 05:55 PM
    I've been able to import all the podcast feeds that I want the trouble is, the podcasts are never downloaded and always need to be updated when I'm ready to watch. The podcast app also doesn't always lauch either, sometime get the spinning disk of death and thats' it I've given up.
    08-10-12 06:03 PM
    Honestly, I've found it to be miserable (when it loads). It either freezes, doesn't load in the background, and when it does work, I can't find anything.
    All of which is fixed in 2.0.1.668.

You can subscribe by pulling down the menu from the top, clicking on RSS, and keying in the RSS feed, but I had to do that for 9 of the first 10 podcasts I tried to subscribe to, the search function was nearly useless.
    Yeah, just add the feeds manually and you'll be ok.

I've been able to import all the podcast feeds that I want the trouble is, the podcasts are never downloaded and always need to be updated when I'm ready to watch. The podcast app also doesn't always lauch either, sometime get the spinning disk of death and thats' it I've given up.
    Debrick your device and all the issues should disappear. 2.0.1.358's podcast is still a bit slow, but it gets very functional in 2.0.1.668. 2.1.0.560 is somewhere in between.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-10-12 at 06:06 PM.
    08-10-12 06:03 PM
    Yeah, just add the feeds manually and you'll be ok.
    Right, I did, but the absolute minimum I expect from an app whose one function is to play podcasts is not to have to add the feeds manually - and I am talking VERY popular podcasts, ones with many thousands of downloads.

Even then there would be lots of functionality missing, I would love to see something even close to Downcast on iOS or BeyondPod on Android.
    08-10-12 07:28 PM
    Right, I did, but the absolute minimum I expect from an app whose one function is to play podcasts is not to have to add the feeds manually - and I am talking VERY popular podcasts, ones with many thousands of downloads.

Even then there would be lots of functionality missing, I would love to see something even close to Downcast on iOS or BeyondPod on Android.
    Eh, no... I was not telling you to do that... I was agreeing to what you said previously...

Anyway, to clear that bit... The podcasts app is fed by a very tiny database maintained by RIM. I know because a friend is a podcaster and he has manually submitted his show.

I also believe that RIM dropped that entirely (hence why the latest version of the podcasts app for phones does not have the search feature).

Only thing I consider to be missing is the ability to tell the app how many shows to keep when new episodes arrive (like we can on the phones).
    08-10-12 07:57 PM
    The android podcast app I have sideloaded that is "decent" is BeyondPod. It's not fantastic but way better than the stock podcast app.
    NickinVA likes this.
    08-10-12 10:01 PM
    The android podcast app I have sideloaded that is "decent" is BeyondPod. It's not fantastic but way better than the stock podcast app.
    Do you have the bar file that you can share please.

Thanks
    08-11-12 06:57 AM
    I got it from the Goodereader site. As for if it's the most current version or not though I have no idea. It's a great site, but unfortunately a lot of the apps tend to be out of date on it. Blackberry Playbook Audio and Video Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook App Store

They have a couple of other Podcast apps on there as well. I tried them, BeyondPod was the one I liked the best, but again it's still not what I could consider an amazing Podcast app.
    08-11-12 07:58 AM
    What features get disabled after 7 days as i noticed that this is a lite version.
    08-11-12 11:20 AM
    I think BeyondPod is a good enough app for my purposes, but on Android, you need to buy an in app purchase after the trial and I don't think that would be possible with a sideloaded app. Will 2.1 allow this with Android apps?
    08-11-12 11:39 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD