Having had a Garmin stand alone I sorely miss the quality navigation it provided. I really wish Garmin, or other quality GPS maker, would put out a true offline version of their software.

Please hit Garmin up and let them know your interested ( Garmin | Share Ideas ).

I saying please here, no actually I'm begging!
    02-22-12 09:13 AM
    think about it this way, why not just use your stand alone unit?
    do you really want the nuisance of trying to watch the bigger screen for directions?

yes in all its GLORY a 7" screen could yield amazing results, but also a lot of issues if using it for car navigation.

I would immediately call the authorities if I saw someone with a tablet mounted for the their dash, it would cause a lot of accidents for sure!

Now i would like to see is google maps working so I can use that with bridge.... that would be a much better value in my opinion

and also because they want to sell a lot of these at $1000
    Amazon.com: Garmin Streetpilot 7200 7-inch GPS Receiver - Europe - Includes North American maps. Does Not include XM Radio: GPS & Navigation
    02-22-12 09:36 AM
    think about it this way, why not just use your stand alone unit?
    do you really want the nuisance of trying to watch the bigger screen for directions?

yes in all its GLORY a 7" screen could yield amazing results, but also a lot of issues if using it for car navigation.

I would immediately call the authorities if I saw someone with a tablet mounted for the their dash, it would cause a lot of accidents for sure!

Now i would like to see is google maps working so I can use that with bridge.... that would be a much better value in my opinion
    What's the size of your average double-din DVD/Navigation stereo receiver these days? About 6" - and there has been ZERO conclusive research to 'blame' those units on an increase in accidents while in Navigation mode (DVD/movie is another story)...I'll be fine with my PlayBook mounted on/in my dash as a central 'hub' for all things media and navigation, thanks for your concern...

If I can combine ALL of today's tech gadgets into one device, then that's what I want to do...besides, you don't HAVE to have your eyes glued to the device for directions/routing, since the good ones TALK TO YOU - hmmm...imagine that...

By all means, stick to your google maps + bridge solution...more power to ya. (not sure how THAT is safer than a talking 7" screen, but whatever...)
    02-22-12 09:42 AM
    I use a wifi iPad as my car navigation system... and the copilot live app.. 3D view, voice directions thru the car stereo and the big screen HELPS with route checking rather than hinder.. particularly when coming to complicated lane junctions on highways, half the screen is showing me which lane to be in.. so i dont subscribe to the "big is bad" theory.. it may be a bit of an overkill granted.. but not bad
    02-22-12 10:53 AM
    Magellan Compass v3 should be out soon and will support offline navigation with voice turn by turn. There's a video somewhere in the forum, look for it, it should be pretty amazing when it's out!
    02-22-12 11:44 AM

You have to be kidding... You realize most built in displays are about 7" these days? Would you call the cops on someone changing the radio station? Besides that, what does size have to do with it, as long as its not blocking their view? How is having a tablet on their dash any different than a dedicated Garmin stuck on their windshield?
    02-22-12 01:11 PM
    I have my PB mounted off to the left of my wheel. Perfect place and not distracting at all. It is a lot clearer to see then the built in nav system that I have. The screen is pretty much the same size as a Pruis center screen.
    02-22-12 04:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD