After having no Epub readers we now have two!

The newest one is PlayEpub. I also have Epub Reader.

Play Epub seems more polished to me. It presents the text in a page format so no scrolling like on Epub Reader.

It has opened every book that I have tried and displays things properly. It has a day/night mode as well.

Landscape mode does not work but I never use that. Also, no bookmarks yet.

Also, font size and screen brightness are adjustable within the app.

All in all, I think that most people will like it better than Epub Reader.
    Last edited by lawguyman; 06-24-11 at 06:06 AM.
    06-24-11 06:04 AM
    Wow! I had to buy it and i love it! page-turning is superb and very very fast! nice one!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 06:34 AM
    The cost of most apps is low so prob gonna pick it up and give it a try.
    Did the developer say its planning for book-markers, it is kind of a needed feature...
    06-24-11 06:52 AM
    The cost of most apps is low so prob gonna pick it up and give it a try.
    Did the developer say its planning for book-markers, it is kind of a needed feature...
    Yes. Bookmarks are planned. There is a greyed out button for it.

The good news is that the program remembers where you left off even if you open another book in between.
    06-24-11 07:10 AM
    Waste of money, does not see any of my books that Epub Reader sees.
    Last edited by hvacr_tech; 06-24-11 at 08:05 AM.
    06-24-11 07:38 AM
    Come on guys, it sees everything or it sees nothing, which is it?
    06-24-11 07:42 AM
    It sees everything that I have!
    JosephRuff likes this.
    06-24-11 07:49 AM
    Just bought the app, so far im liking EPUB reader better, the only thing i like better in PlayEpub is page turning, i've encountered a few bugs also, some books wont let me turn the page it just goes back and forth, my library list displays some messed up characters, and it freezes up on the loading screen with some of my books.

Also i think the book rendering is better on EPUB reader, more accurate space and paragraph rendering, i've added some pics of both apps so you people can compare.

The app has promise but if EPUB reader comes with a page turning update, i dont see a reason for picking this app instead, i thinks its gonna come on who updates his app faster.
    06-24-11 12:59 PM
    Also the app does have Bookmarks, it just requieres a long tap on the page for the bookmark option to appear.
    06-24-11 01:05 PM
    Bought this one as well. Definitely nicer, but it strangely doesn't recognize one of the ebooks on my Playbook that ePub Reader does.
    06-24-11 01:38 PM
    Very cool seeing the Game of Thrones series in spanish. Thanks for the screenshots PanaSama. I'm still trying to decide between these two programs but am leaning towards Reader right now.
    06-24-11 01:46 PM
    Bought this one as well. Definitely nicer, but it strangely doesn't recognize one of the ebooks on my Playbook that ePub Reader does.
    exactly the same for me... have about 15 or so books at the moment, and PlayEpub will see all apart from 1.
    Epub reader will see them all.

06-25-11 02:04 AM
    Both recently released epub readers are good and finally provide options for folks with extensive epub libraries. RIM and Kobo should take note that this is where they should have been at launch.

i favour PlayEpub just a little more as I like the page turning and bookmarks.

i also have the odd book that either epub app will not open but these books also don't open with iBook.
    06-25-11 01:35 PM
    So far this is working better for me than Epub Reader. First, for whatever reason I can't see the latest version of Epub Reader in App World. Meanwhile Play Epub will open Epubs converted from Calibre that Epub Reader won't. Also there is no 'import' function, just point it to the right directory and there they are. Page turning is better than scrolling, and the thing has remembered my place in every book I've opened. Why can't the PDF reader do that? So far Im happy!
    06-27-11 06:08 PM
    Wow! Just went outside today in the full sun to read an epub and the screen was superb! I like my Bebook Neo but do i need this e-reader when i can read books this way on my Playbook? Excellent app!

06-28-11 12:35 PM
    Agreed! This is just what i needed to really complete my Playbook
    06-28-11 02:00 PM
    Does anyone know if either of these readers will let you read drm material from the public library? More specifically, the Toronto Public Library?
    07-03-11 09:06 AM
    Unfortunately, no they wont. Currently there is no way to do this on the Playbook
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    07-03-11 09:36 AM
    Both PlayEpub and Epub Reader were updated today. Epub Reader now does "tap to change page" but still doesn't save the page when you close the app. I haven't noticed any changes to PlayEpub yet, but based on the fact that it does save the last page I will probably still use it as my primary reader. Both still need a lot of work, but show some good potential.

As a sidenote, I accidentally deleted all the epubs from my PB the other day and the ones that I had imported into Epub Reader were still there. Pretty cool, actually.
    07-04-11 10:28 AM
    ^ Epub reader now saves the page when you close the app - a least mine does.
    07-04-11 12:14 PM
    I am very new with ebooks & trying to decide if I should start buying books for Kobo or wait for Kindle? Also was hoping maybe some of you could post a link or something to point me in a good direction for educating myself on this? I am clueless when your talking about epub, sideloading and a few other terms i see in some of these ebook threads.
    07-04-11 08:54 PM
    Does PlayEpub support links with in the books. Cause i have a table of contents at the beginning of one of the books, i Try click on the links but it either turns the page to the next or previous page? To navigate through a 5594 page epub document is pretty hard without the link support. Especially when your not going to the same parts of the book everytime.
    07-04-11 09:55 PM
    I am very new with ebooks & trying to decide if I should start buying books for Kobo or wait for Kindle? Also was hoping maybe some of you could post a link or something to point me in a good direction for educating myself on this? I am clueless when your talking about epub, sideloading and a few other terms i see in some of these ebook threads.
    Epub is a very popular open format that can be read on a lot of different readers. It is sort of like the mp3 format for books. Note, however, epub can support encryption or Digital Rights Management (DRM). Epubs with DRM can only be read on the device they were purchased for.

The Kindle app for the Blackberry phones will allow you to 'sideload' your own non-encrypted epbus and read them. Kobo will not. The epub reader apps developed for the Playbook will read non DRM epubs, but not ones with DRM.

If you want to wait for Kindle for the Playbook, you may be waiting for a long time as Amazon has never committed to a release date.

Fortunately there are a LOT of non DRM epubs available if you know where to look. There is also a freeware program called Calibre which will convert between formats (again, if non-DRM) So i'm finding plenty to read on my playepub app on the PB!
    07-05-11 07:08 AM
    I emailed Amazon but got the stock response that they are aware of the PB, but no commitment on when or even if. So I am using Kobo and it gets the job done. Also using PlayEpub which works well with magazines converted from Calibre (non-DRAM as mentioned earlier).
    07-05-11 12:04 PM
    Does anyone knows what changed with the last update?, i dont find anything different and my main gripes with the app are still there, wich are mainly the horrible way it displays the books (no space between pragraphs) and the annoying header at the top.

EPUB reader is the superior app IMO, the latest update brought the tap to change the page feature, has more themes and the books are actually readable.
    07-05-11 12:39 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD