hahaha this is awesome, i am playing DOOM on my PlayBook!!

BlackBerry App World - PlayDoom

PlayDoom, a Doom port for BlackBerry� PlayBook�, based on Mike Welsh's flash version. It features some basic multitouch controls and (obviously) great framerates. Only the embedded shareware episode is playable.

Known problems:
    -Multitouch implementation is far from perfect, freelook and movement/action buttons must be touched in a certain order to work together.
    -The buttons could stuck in certain situations.
    -Only the shareware episode is playable.
    -Very minor sound stuttering.
    as the description says, its far from perfect for touchscreen, but its smooth and just gives that oh so retro feel. oh and its FREE
    05-20-11 06:05 PM
    Sweet. I now have many more games to look forward to! Ahh the many old good games.
    05-20-11 06:12 PM
    Can we use IDDQD in the Playbook version too??
    05-20-11 06:23 PM
    Can we use IDDQD in the Playbook version too??
    thats a YES swipe from bottom left to bring up keyboard

cheat codes:

•IDDQD -- Invulnerability
    •IDBEHOLDI -- Temporary invisibility
    •IDBEHOLDR -- Temporary radiation suit
    •IDBEHOLDS -- Temporary berserk
    •IDBEHOLDA -- Temporary automap
    •IDBEHOLDV -- Temporary invulnerability
    •IDBEHOLDL -- Temporary light
    •IDKFA -- Full health, ammo, weapons, armor and keys
    •IDFA -- Full health, ammo, weapons, and armor
    •IDDT -- Change map detail
    •IDCHOPPERS -- Gain chainsaw
    •IDCLEVxx -- Warp to level 'xx' where xx is 01 to 19
    •IDMYPOS -- Displays your position and bearing
    •IDMUSxx -- Music select. 'xx' is the level who's song you want.
    •IDSPISPOPD -- Walk through walls!

Secret Level

To teleport directly to the secret level, type "idclev19" while playing
    Last edited by BBThemes; 05-20-11 at 06:41 PM.
    05-20-11 06:38 PM
    sweet. idkfa was the only one i remember using, cause it was the easiest to remember because of the acronym killer fn ammo
    05-20-11 06:49 PM
    OK, I just have to say that this kicks ***.. If you played Doom back in the day, you must check this out! Well done!

All we need now is some Hexen action!! And maybe some Quake 2!!!
    05-20-11 07:18 PM
    Wow i just downloaded Doom, its amazing. Ahhh the old times... I was jumping like a kid, and my wife is looking at me weird, she will never understand
    05-20-11 07:34 PM

All we need now is some Hexen action!! And maybe some Quake 2!!!
    duke nukem methinks is needed
    05-20-11 07:45 PM
    how to minimize the screen?,seems like it is widen and the graphics missed up
    05-20-11 09:18 PM
    sweet! thanks for the cheats!
    05-20-11 10:29 PM
    sweet! thanks for the cheats!
    C'mon, you didn't remember?? They're deep burned in my brain rofl
    05-20-11 11:43 PM
    I just tried to install it and I'm getting an error message -

"There was a problem during installation. Please try again".

Hmm...
    05-21-11 01:31 AM
    i got the same error! if you get it working let me know i wanna play!
    05-21-11 01:42 AM
    I just tried to install it and I'm getting an error message -

"There was a problem during installation. Please try again".

Hmm...
    I'm getting the same thing. I hope its just the server getting crushed and not a resubmission as a paid app...

Rebooting to try again
    05-21-11 01:43 AM
    It's downloading now after a bounce.
    05-21-11 01:46 AM
    My wife called me a nerd when I got excited. This is the only shooting game I played as a kid, I have to say it's almost exactly like I remember it.
    05-21-11 09:36 AM
    Very cool but are the controls a bit mixed up? E.g. up/down buttons move forward/back, and forward button seems to fire the gun (sometimes)

edit: OK I found the touch interface instructions under the help menu. That's better!
    Last edited by MisterMe11; 05-21-11 at 09:46 AM.
    05-21-11 09:37 AM
    Hi!
    I'm the developer of this app, and I'm very happy that you like it!
    Some answers:
    -I'll try to fix the errors, better controls and external wad support, so the full game will be playable, if you copy your own wad files (data files with maps, etc) from the original full doom release. Then Heretic and Hexen will be ported, since they require minimal work.
    -A Duke Nukem 3D flash port looks really complicated, since it uses a lot of asm code, I'm sure someone will make a native port after the NDK is released.
    -My ports will always remain free, as the Doom source code is released under the GNU GPL licence, so it's not possible to sell it legally (some people do it in the android app market anyway, but that is illegal and ethically questionable).
    -The original game had a 320x200 resolution, thats a 16:10 aspect ratio. The monitors of the time had rectangular pixels, so the game had a more or less correct aspect ratio on a 4:3 screen. My port uses the original aspect ratio, without any modification, if you fire it up on a modern pc with dosbox, you'll see the same slightly streched screen. It's possible to correct this, but it's way too mutch work for a quick port.
    cas118, kwkid, HaTaX and 6 others like this.
    05-21-11 09:58 AM
    You would think that id software and other companies that made these games would do some quick porting over to the Playbook to start new cash flow on old intellectual property. I'd drop a few bucks per game for some classic first person shooters. May have to send an e-mail to valve also about halflife or counterstrike.
    05-21-11 10:21 AM
    does anyone know what the "row to go" means in the instructions?
    05-21-11 10:35 AM
    You have to repeatedly slide your finger down the screen to move forward, or up the screen to move backwards, I found the motion to be similar to rowing in a boat. That is only for gesture controll, you can still use the buttons if "rowing" is not your thing
    05-21-11 11:00 AM
    ok, so not sure if this is possible, but maybe controls would look and feel a touch better as on attached image, still have row box and shoot box, simply the up/down/left/right and open on the right, up/down/strafe left/strafe right and fire on the left.

also im finding i can only select up to weapon 5, not sure if thats simply because of the port, or where the buttons are, as the fire box seems to go over the weapon select box, maybe having them across the top rather than down the side would work?

these are simply suggestions, because im totally loving this game, and btw you owe me a few hours lol. oh and save `saves` but doesnt find anything to load, which was gutting but not the end of the world.
    05-21-11 11:16 AM
    Very cool. The controls do seem a bit wonky though. I have to keep sliding my finger over "Forward" to move forward. Gonna wear a hole in my PB screen!
    05-21-11 12:23 PM
    The controls are a mess at the moment, but I wanted the program out as soon as possible, this way maybe I could lend some "steam" to the adoption of the PlayBook. Blackberry was nice enough to send me a free one for the development, so this was the least I could do.

My goal is to make this game perfectly playable, as I want to play it too. I will work on the controls and the external wad loading in the next few days, we'll see how it turns out.

Five weapons are in the game, as it's only the shareware version. The game content from the full version, with all the weapons, is still not free. I will try to make it possible to sideload and use the full game's data files, if you have them.
    05-21-11 01:53 PM
    Awesome! I was super excited when I saw it in app world. Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-11 02:20 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD