It seems the rumor bberrys are will be capable of running android apps could also be very true. The best of both worlds. Nice!
    03-25-11 10:32 AM
    Yup, those are the ones I had in mind. Now all of a sudden nobody knows who they are or what they said. I wasn't speaking of only this thread either. I have noticed a lot of them have been laying low of late considering the latest happenings with RIM. I don't think they can believe RIM had to grab a life vest, in the form of the Android market, to remain afloat.

Wow those alleged Android bashers you're calling out must have really hurt your feelings!

...Anyway, I think the positives outweigh any negatives that may be perceived by this move. It'll all come down to how its implemented. I like that they've taken steps recently to make the dev process easier (no more notary needed, code signing keys free), so hopefully this attracts even more.
    03-25-11 10:55 AM

BUT, now you actually got the same android app market on the playbook and everyone is thrilled about it.
    No one cared about games before, but all of a sudden first thing everyones gonna do when they get the playbook is play tetris, need for speed and go to adroid app market.

:/
    There is no need to reinvent the wheel to be successful and i command RIM for being smart! They just gave the PB a masive market scale, the best of both worlds.

I think somehow it hurts people to think it was RIM the one that came out with something of this nature and not the expected players in particular google. Competition is great healthy thing.
    03-25-11 11:06 AM
    There is no need to reinvent the wheel to be successful and i command RIM for being smart! They just gave the PB a masive market scale, the best of both worlds.

I think somehow it hurts people to think it was RIM the one that came out with something of this nature and not the expected players in particular google. Competition is great healthy thing.
    Not saying it isnt and i agree with you.

But i was just saying that alot of people in RIMs defense say that *insert feature here* is not important, its a toy, or dont care or need it. Yet when the blackberry FINALLY gets the same feature its awesome!

Wonder how many people would get the playbook or even consider it if it didnt have the Blackberry logo on it and wasnt made by RIMM.
    03-25-11 11:15 AM
    Not saying it isnt and i agree with you.

But i was just saying that alot of people in RIMs defense say that *insert feature here* is not important, its a toy, or dont care or need it. Yet when the blackberry FINALLY gets the same feature its awesome!

Wonder how many people would get the playbook or even consider it if it didnt have the Blackberry logo on it and wasnt made by RIMM.
    really wanna go there?

03-25-11 11:17 AM
    Wow those alleged Android bashers you're calling out must have really hurt your feelings!

...Anyway, I think the positives outweigh any negatives that may be perceived by this move. It'll all come down to how its implemented. I like that they've taken steps recently to make the dev process easier (no more notary needed, code signing keys free), so hopefully this attracts even more.
    Quite the contrary, only friends or family members hurt my feelings.
    03-25-11 11:19 AM
    Quite the contrary, only friends or family members hurt my feelings.
    then i guess there's a bit of misdirected anger here
    03-25-11 11:21 AM
    really wanna go there?

I assure you i'm not on that line. I have a blackberry and had them for years, i'm not TRYING to bash rim or troll on these forums, although i am quite frustrated and dissapointed in them.
    Just trying to point out that im sure ALOT of people here on crackberry are just as blind and bias toward blackberry (fanboi) as the the apple people you just pointed out and people make fun of.
    03-25-11 11:28 AM
    I assure you i'm not on that line. I have a blackberry and had them for years, i'm not TRYING to bash rim or troll on these forums, although i am quite frustrated and dissapointed in them.
    Just trying to point out that im sure ALOT of people here on crackberry are just as blind and bias toward blackberry (fanboi) as the the apple people you just pointed out and people make fun of.
    I'm sure you're right. But that's why I'm careful in not using terms like "everyone and their mother" because it tends to make you sound like you're generalizing an entire group.
    03-25-11 11:33 AM
    Sorry if i came off a bit aggressive or "douchie" in my wording and posts. Maybe it wasnt a good idea to finally start posting after months of reading crackberry on 3 hours of sleep, jet lagged and only on my first cup of coffee.

Hope i didnt make too bad of a first impression. Just want to finally start contributing my 2 cent on a forum i have been following for quite some time.
    Last edited by -Euronymous-; 03-25-11 at 11:40 AM.
    03-25-11 11:38 AM
    Yup, those are the ones I had in mind. Now all of a sudden nobody knows who they are or what they said. I wasn't speaking of only this thread either. I have noticed a lot of them have been laying low of late considering the latest happenings with RIM. I don't think they can believe RIM had to grab a life vest, in the form of the Android market, to remain afloat.
    You still not interested in the PlayBook what so ever?

Just checking. Since For months you been saying your not. Yet you still waste your time talking about it. How bad is your life that you can't find anything else to do with your time? Seriously who talks about something they have no interest in?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-11 11:41 AM
    You still not interested in the PlayBook what so ever?

Just checking. Since For months you been saying your not. Yet you still waste your time talking about it. How bad is your life that you can't find anything else to do with your time? Seriously who talks about something they have no interest in?

Don't feed the trolls, its less fun for him if u dont respond :P
    03-25-11 11:53 AM
    Heck I'm pretty sure grncherry even commented a while back that this was a smart move for RIM, so why the ********?
    03-25-11 11:59 AM
    Don't feed the trolls, its less fun for him if u dont respond :P
    I usually don't. And I know I should't have that time. But for months I've felt kinda bad for him. His life is so void of purpouse that he has time to constantly talk about something he admits he has no interest in. Like wtf? Is he in prison with nothing else to do? I think I would find a hobby if I was that bored.

For example:
    I'm gonna go talk about knitting on the knitters forums, I have no interest in knitting at all but jeez my life sucks so I guess its something. Lol

03-25-11 11:59 AM
    I made a comment to a friend of mine yesterday that RIM really made a good move with this, and his response was to wait for the new samsung tablets. He thinks they're better just because they're thin. I wonder how many people really don't care what the tablet is capable of, only how shiny and pretty it looks.
    03-25-11 12:06 PM
    Heck I'm pretty sure grncherry even commented a while back that this was a smart move for RIM, so why the ********?
    I still think it is a smart move on RIM's part and I was accused of being a troll at that time also. Now, what's his or her's face is using the term again. I've been on these forums long before he came along and I've probably had more variations of BBs than him. No big deal, there are people with far greater problems in this world than to get upset with an insignificant RIM product or insignificant people for that matter.
    03-25-11 12:15 PM
    I made a comment to a friend of mine yesterday that RIM really made a good move with this, and his response was to wait for the new samsung tablets. He thinks they're better just because they're thin. I wonder how many people really don't care what the tablet is capable of, only how shiny and pretty it looks.
    You even have the nerve to call an Ipad a toy. Evidently you never watch news programs or anything else, they are used all the time, and they appear to be doing a fine job outside of the realm of toys. I have seen them on documentaries and in use in the schools and hospitals here, so the "toy" word you throw around is a farce and an attempt to be self serving.

CrackBerry User

You need to think about what you'll use it for. If you struggle to find uses and you don't have an extra few hundred dollars to spend for a toy, I would skip it. But if you can find uses or if you want to spend the money just to play around and find uses later, then I think you should get a playbook since it is more capable than the ipad.
    Last edited by grncherry1; 03-25-11 at 12:33 PM.
    03-25-11 12:31 PM
    You even have the nerve to call an Ipad a toy. Evidently you never watch news programs or anything else, they are used all the time, and they appear to be doing a fine job outside of the realm of toys. I have seen them on documentaries and in use in the schools and hospitals here, so the "toy" word you throw around is a farce and an attempt to be self serving.

CrackBerry User

You need to think about what you'll use it for. If you struggle to find uses and you don't have an extra few hundred dollars to spend for a toy, I would skip it. But if you can find uses or if you want to spend the money just to play around and find uses later, then I think you should get a playbook since it is more capable than the ipad.
    Chill out dude. You need to read a little closer or take reading comprehension 101. I am calling ALL tablets toys. I myself would like to get a playbook because of its capabilities, but I think of it as a toy.

The quote you're taking from me is in a thread where the OP asked if he should get one. I don't know what uses he might have for a tablet or what anyone would have. If you can think of uses, great. I could not find a legitimate use for a tablet that did not have a full SD card slot it, for my uses so to me they're toys.
    03-25-11 12:40 PM
    What am I going to do with my Android Tab once I get my PB?
    03-25-11 12:40 PM
    Im sure alot of people getting a tablet because its the new tech, mostly a luxury item for the fun/entertainment aspect.
    Not in the hunt for a tablet yet as i dont think it can replace my laptop on a productivity level as some hope or think. But i do see it very handy at tradeshows, quick meeting or messing with it at the airport. For that reason i'll consider one some where down the road.
    But wouldnt get one just to play with it laying around on my couch. :/
    03-25-11 01:02 PM
    What am I going to do with my Android Tab once I get my PB?
    I actually had that same thought. I've been enjoying my rooted Nook Color the past month. The custom dev community is pretty damn amazing. The builds keep getting better and better. It took a bit of a hit after Google announced they're not releasing the honeycomb AOSP anytime soon though. ()

But i figure i'll use the PB for its communications ability paired with my BB. The Nook I'll use more as a reader first and android apps secondary. So i'll probably keep it for that as its screen is great for reading.
    03-25-11 01:07 PM
    How is this going to work? If i read the article correctly, devs have to transfer all the android apps to the qnx os and they wont be available through the marketplace.

wont it take a while for devs to migrate the thousands of apps in the android marketplace?
    03-25-11 01:52 PM
    How is this going to work? If i read the article correctly, devs have to transfer all the android apps to the qnx os and they wont be available through the marketplace.

wont it take a while for devs to migrate the thousands of apps in the android marketplace?
    It should simply be a matter of repackaging the android apps and submitting them to Appworld for approval.

not every android dev is going to do it. but it seems to be a pretty easy way to add another new market for your app doesn't it? that's the attraction.
    03-25-11 01:59 PM
    It should simply be a matter of repackaging the android apps and submitting them to Appworld for approval.

not every android dev is going to do it. but it seems to be a pretty easy way to add another new market for your app doesn't it? that's the attraction.
    The only problem is some app dev may get lazy and just code an android app and repackage it and not write something that could really take advantage of the PB OS.

Is RIM going to provide the tool that takes your Android source code and
    package it into what is needed for the PB? If so if you wrote android apps you'd be kind of silly not to take advantage of it.

I hope the player is integrated so that everything is transparent. You load up an android app by clicking the icon and not having to start a VM player and then load the app that way.
    03-25-11 02:35 PM
    This is also coming at a time when Google is decidedly making Android a more restricted platform:

Android openness withering as Google withholds Honeycomb code

Andy Rubin says that Honeycomb source code won't be widely released for some time so Google can ensure a cohesive user experience. One of the primary examples given is vendors who install Android on unsupported form factors, presumably the Galaxy Tab. This surely puts RIM's hack on the wrong side for Google. I wonder what does Google think about this with their new focus on a unified user experience. RIM is not yet a partner on Android.

Also keep in mind that RIM will only be supporting Gingerbread apps at this time. This means phone apps blown up to tablet size. Also, as Kevin noted, likely restricted in subtle and confusing ways from interacting with the OS. The more that is announced about the PlayBook the harder it is to see how it will attract regular users who expect a polished device.

Last edited by synthmole; 03-25-11 at 02:44 PM.
    03-25-11 02:42 PM
128 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD