All of this also begs the question as to what are the prime Android apps that we'd really want.
    Astrid Tasks
    OliveTree Bible Reader
    Evernote
    ConvertPad
    Yelp
    Office Calculator
    Dropbox
    Medscape
    Ontrack
    My Days
    Walgreens
    Mint
    Amazon Kindle Reader
    Astraware Sudoku
    Video Poker
    Alchemy
    Hong Kong Mahjong
    Pente
    All the Angry Birds
    Fruit Ninja
    SpeedX 3D
    Real Deal Slots
    Hextacy
    Alchemy Genetics
    The Weather Channel
    WiFi@Home
    World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
    FeedR or Pulse
    03-24-11 07:03 PM
    Awesome News!!! I can not wait for my Playbook to arrive and then this summer I will be able to put Android Apps on my Playbook. Thank you RIM for making such a great product. Call me a Blackberry Fanboy but I will never be called an Apple Fanboy, I am too smart for that!!!
    There are certainly some people who will call you a a fanboi, but not me. I think I'm as excited as you are.

I hope the Playbook lives up to the hype it's been generating.
    03-24-11 08:04 PM
    You can tell today has had a lot of good BlackBerry news just by browsing the forums and seeing how active the trolls have been today.
    03-24-11 08:13 PM
    I didn't think they'd really do it and I still don't see how they could have in such a short amount of time.

My guess is that like the Air SDK, this was something QNX already had in the works when RIM bought them.

I'm still skeptical about the viability of this. A mishmash of Android UI along with all the other SDKs sounds like a frankenberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-11 08:30 PM
    You know what's kind of pathetic?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/finally-did-418520/

that was your post more than a year ago.

cling much?
    Too funny
    03-24-11 09:55 PM
    So will I be able to use netflix with this addition? I already preordered so its not a huge deal but would be effin awesome.

03-24-11 10:06 PM
    So will I be able to use netflix with this addition? I already preordered so its not a huge deal but would be effin awesome.

I'm betting there will eventually be a netflix app.
    03-24-11 10:08 PM
    Well was just thinking about what I asked, and if pb going to support flash and all I'm assuming we can just use netflix thru the browser.. Not 100% sure

03-24-11 10:10 PM
    netflix, like hulu, can choose if they want to allow on mobile platforms. I would think in time both will work on the PB or any other tablet.
    03-24-11 10:40 PM
    This is great news and it definitely enhances the appeal of PlayBook significantly. I would imagine the implementation to be similar to what Microsoft did for Windows 7 with XP Mode, or what Classic does for WebOS. Performance of android apps running inside a virtual machine will never beat that of native apps written using native C/C++ API of PlayBook. Also apps that rely on particular very specific Android OS features will not be able to run in the vm without extra porting effort. Some features of PlayBook may also not be accessible for an app inside a vm. So, there is still a lot of incentives to write native apps for PlayBook.
    03-24-11 11:39 PM
    What a bunch of hypocrites some of you people are, just a little while ago you couldn't berate Apple and Android enough about their apps and how their was no need for them, now listen to the same people, salivating like Pavlov's dog at the prospects. What a sorry group of individuals. Now, I said it and you can like it or not.
    TheEdge, Machzy and barrist like this.
    03-25-11 01:07 AM
    So running Android apps on a BB QNX OS instead of running Android apps on an Android OS? Market positioning fail RIM. You shouldn't even have jumped on the tablet bandwagon in the first place. Your incessant obsession with copying whatever Apple did led to your market decline, you knew that right?

Anyway, is it just porting or virtualization?

But nonetheless, kudos to RIM for bending over. It may not be the best move ever, but it may be one just to save it from being DOA.

I'll be getting a Tab or an IPad 2 by the way.

p/s the Apple and Android camp must be laughing at us BB fanboys now.
    03-25-11 04:13 AM
    What a bunch of hypocrites some of you people are, just a little while ago you couldn't berate Apple and Android enough about their apps and how their was no need for them, now listen to the same people, salivating like Pavlov's dog at the prospects. What a sorry group of individuals. Now, I said it and you can like it or not.
    who berated apple and android "about their apps"? unless you can point out specific hypocrisy from specific individuals with proof, you're just generalizing.
    03-25-11 05:15 AM
    Which people took both stances?

03-25-11 05:20 AM
    Now all we need is a 10" Playbook and I am onboard.
    I agree !!!
    03-25-11 06:30 AM
    This is as good for Android as it is for BB. The Android OS is barely a beta, and is far too buggy for the general public. Almost everyone I know with an Android wants to throw it against a wall, except for the Linux nerds that just hack it into stability. Samsung fraks up almost every Android phone they release, and even HTC can't get around what a battery/RAM-hog that the Android OS is compared to BB, iOS or webOS. A stable OS underneath the Android marketplace is what Google has been lacking to make their devices consumer friendly, as opposed to cheap (often free) iPhone knock-offs.

I'm still not 100% certain of the Playbook even with this news. After the Storm 1, I wait for the 2nd new device before committing to a new BB. Let other people with more $$ than me to toss around on a new toy "test" this model, and then I may jump on board when they use this for phones next year and my contract runs out.

Disclosure: I own an iPad 2 *and* a Blackberry Curve. Don't regret it. Love them both to death.

How could you even have the audacity to make a statement like this ? Barely useable !!!! Take a long look at your BB phone and thats what is barely useable and to add insult to injury go on the web with it and get back to me when a homepage finishes loading.
    03-25-11 06:48 AM

Netflix uses Silverlight to Microsoft will need to port a QNX version of Silverlight or Netflix will write an App.

I'm guessing there won't be any DRM issues with the PlayBook so maybe a netflix app will come rather quickly
    03-25-11 07:15 AM
    Name names or it didn't happen.
    03-25-11 09:33 AM
    How could you even have the audacity to make a statement like this ? Barely useable !!!! Take a long look at your BB phone and thats what is barely useable and to add insult to injury go on the web with it and get back to me when a homepage finishes loading.
    Agreed 1000%. I hate, yes HATE my f'ing Storm. It acts up nearly daily with reboots, and browsing is slow and painful. Just got another truncated email this morning--DAMN, RIM, what's with that?? So what if BB's use less data, if part of that benefit is that I can't read an entire email without having to go to the TROUBLE of opening a webpage to read a truncated email? Stupid.
    03-25-11 09:36 AM
    Name names or it didn't happen.
    You are funny...................
    1812dave likes this.
    03-25-11 09:38 AM
    I believe he was referring to how everyone and their mothers on crackberry was bashing apple/android for being nothing but a "toy" and that their app markets were filled with nothing but useless kids apps.
    "nothing but fart apps"
    "no productivity apps"
    yatta yatta yatta...

BUT, now you actually got the same android app market on the playbook and everyone is thrilled about it.
    No one cared about games before, but all of a sudden first thing everyones gonna do when they get the playbook is play tetris, need for speed and go to adroid app market.

:/
    03-25-11 09:52 AM
    I believe he was referring to how everyone and their mothers on crackberry was bashing apple/android for being nothing but a "toy" and that their app markets were filled with nothing but useless kids apps.
    "nothing but fart apps"
    "no productivity apps"
    yatta yatta yatta...

BUT, now you actually got the same android app market on the playbook and everyone is thrilled about it.
    No one cared about games before, but all of a sudden first thing everyones gonna do when they get the playbook is play tetris, need for speed and go to adroid app market.

Sounds like a lot of generalizations, sport!

I, for one won't get a PB if I can't get certain apps for it. After all, hardware is just the means to an end (or should be).
    03-25-11 09:59 AM
    "nothing but fart apps"
    "no productivity apps"
    yatta yatta yatta...

he was referring to people in this thread that are happy about it but were bashing android apps before. i'd like to know who those people are. and no it wasn't everyone and their mother.
    03-25-11 10:13 AM
    I think it was more a less a generalization remark but one that wasn't too far off the map.

There have been threads that took the we don't need apps, we have a full functional web browser and no I'm not going to search back through all these threads to look for it
    03-25-11 10:27 AM
    "nothing but fart apps"
    "no productivity apps"
    yatta yatta yatta...

Yup, those are the ones I had in mind. Now all of a sudden nobody knows who they are or what they said. I wasn't speaking of only this thread either. I have noticed a lot of them have been laying low of late considering the latest happenings with RIM. I don't think they can believe RIM had to grab a life vest, in the form of the Android market, to remain afloat.
    03-25-11 10:27 AM
128 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD