03-24-11 03:57 PM
    Folks....WE HAVE APPS!
    03-24-11 04:09 PM
    Awesome News!!! I can not wait for my Playbook to arrive and then this summer I will be able to put Android Apps on my Playbook. Thank you RIM for making such a great product. Call me a Blackberry Fanboy but I will never be called an Apple Fanboy, I am too smart for that!!!
    Last edited by liquidlink; 03-24-11 at 04:16 PM.
    03-24-11 04:11 PM
    Well. . . we might this "summer"
    03-24-11 04:12 PM

*happy dance*
    03-24-11 04:16 PM
    Well rim just crushed competition. There is no reason not to buy playbook now unless u love apple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-11 04:16 PM
    Well rim just crushed competition. There is no reason not to buy playbook now unless u love apple.

The playbook is too small is the ONLY thing apple fans can say. And that is only an opinion or a "needs" situation.

Man I can't wait.
    03-24-11 04:20 PM
    The main part to this announcement is the following

Developers will simply repackage, code sign and submit their BlackBerry Java and Android apps to BlackBerry App World. Once approved, the apps will be distributed through BlackBerry App World, providing a new opportunity for many developers to reach BlackBerry PlayBook users.
    The developers need to repackage their apps and submit to app world. So its not like everything on android automatically goes on the playbook. This is great news as the malware apps will not be approved/available on the playbook!
    03-24-11 04:21 PM
    The major complaints against the PlayBook were the lack of apps, lack of a mail client, and the lack of a calendar client. This annoucement takes care of all of those in one quick swoop.

The Android Market has a ton of email clients (some really really good ones) and calendar apps.
    03-24-11 04:22 PM
    i am finally glad to see it official and also i saw it was free. they had better drop the fees for BB devs too otherwise its a slap in the face
    03-24-11 04:26 PM
    Now all we need is a 10" Playbook and I am onboard.
    03-24-11 04:30 PM
    RIM just won over at least one customer with this annoucement. Good move.
    03-24-11 04:30 PM
    RIM dropped a bomb!

Whether the mechanism works well or not, it really doesn't matter much. Getting rid of the "no apps" perception is strategically immensely beneficial.

Great move RIM.
    03-24-11 04:33 PM
    Now all we need is a 10" Playbook and I am onboard.
    In time, but let's get the 7inch out first!

I am VERY happy they chose to go with 7 inches over 10 inches for the first Tablet. I really don't see myself ever owning a 10 inch Tab, especially after using the iPad for a couple weeks a while back. Or, I should say after having the chance to use it for a couple weeks....I used it like 3 times because it was awkward and didn't do much of what I wanted it to do.
    03-24-11 04:38 PM
    Agreed. There's no reason for a developer to not release their Android app onto another platform with little to no code changes. Let's not forget that native Blackberry phone apps are nothing to sneeze at either. Great move.
    03-24-11 04:41 PM
    That's good very news...At least it'll take care of the email stuff. Need to check with the guys who make TouchDown for Android and see if they're going to repackage it for the PlayBook.

Now get me Netflix

I'm still going to wait and see how it goes with real world use. I should know which way I want to go by May. I have a buddy at Best Buy that is a Mgr. I want to test VPN connections and a few other things before I buy.

Oh I see the Android apps will have to be downloaded through the app store. If I wrote an Android app would I be able to port it and side load it to my device?
    03-24-11 04:43 PM
    In time, but let's get the 7inch out first!

I am VERY happy they chose to go with 7 inches over 10 inches for the first Tablet. I really don't see myself ever owning a 10 inch Tab, especially after using the iPad for a couple weeks a while back. Or, I should say after having the chance to use it for a couple weeks....I used it like 3 times because it was awkward and didn't do much of what I wanted it to do.
    i agree its a smart and great idea. seperates them immediately from apples current releases.

Oh I see the Android apps will have to be downloaded through the app store. If I wrote an Android app would I be able to port it and side load it to my device?
    current BBs do so i would hope you still could
    Last edited by howarmat; 03-24-11 at 04:50 PM.
    Kerms likes this.
    03-24-11 04:47 PM
    omg, im freaking out, ipad is looking really garbo now!!! WOOT go RIM!
    03-24-11 04:47 PM
    After reading the news I went to other sites to see what most people had to say about this new development and hey all are pretty much thinking its a good idea, but there where a few that had some bad things to say (completely expected). One thing that i say was that some people seem to think that they are trying to run the android market or use the dalvik VM to make this happen.

Now I know what the press release says, well because I read it, and because most of the people who thought this did not make sense, I can see where they think that Google/Oracle will try and sue RIM behind this measure. I think that this is a good move because Android 2.3 is the phone apps so they should not have any trouble with resizing, making the 7' screen a big plus here. Not to mention i think RIM will push some of the better email/calendar apps out asap so that they will not have to answer that question anymore. All in all this is great news for the PB and RIM especially after reading that they have a lack in guidance witht he future of their products. Bring all of this is a crazy sexy packaged QNX based device and you can rubber stamp RIM back at the top of the food chain again.
    03-24-11 04:53 PM
    Great news for those who were worried about apps! More reason to be excited about finally getting mine haha
    03-24-11 04:55 PM
    i am finally glad to see it official and also i saw it was free. they had better drop the fees for BB devs too otherwise its a slap in the face
    I believe they already have

03-24-11 04:58 PM
    After reading the news I went to other sites to see what most people had to say about this new development and hey all are pretty much thinking its a good idea, but there where a few that had some bad things to say (completely expected). One thing that i say was that some people seem to think that they are trying to run the android market or use the dalvik VM to make this happen.

Now I know what the press release says, well because I read it, and because most of the people who thought this did not make sense, I can see where they think that Google/Oracle will try and sue RIM behind this measure. I think that this is a good move because Android 2.3 is the phone apps so they should not have any trouble with resizing, making the 7' screen a big plus here. Not to mention i think RIM will push some of the better email/calendar apps out asap so that they will not have to answer that question anymore. All in all this is great news for the PB and RIM especially after reading that they have a lack in guidance witht he future of their products. Bring all of this is a crazy sexy packaged QNX based device and you can rubber stamp RIM back at the top of the food chain again.
    Anything tied to sun micro system's is free game for RIM....after the law suit RIM can do whatever they like...Oracle has no legal leg to stand on! The word I'm looking for isn't coming to mind...sorry

03-24-11 05:03 PM
    I believe they already have

the 199 entry fee was dropped but i thought they had to pay some of the other fees. BBthemes should be able to tell us
    03-24-11 05:05 PM
    Not to mention i think RIM will push some of the better email/calendar apps out asap so that they will not have to answer that question anymore. All in all this is great news for the PB and RIM especially after reading that they have a lack in guidance witht he future of their products. Bring all of this is a crazy sexy packaged QNX based device and you can rubber stamp RIM back at the top of the food chain again.
    Not sure that the tablet market is going to explode for RIM like it did for Apple. For RIM to get back on the top of the food chain, they need some QNX Smartphones... and that looks like it won't happen for another year.
    Mr Bigs likes this.
    03-24-11 05:06 PM
    Will the android apps be ready for the playbook out of the box? and will the devs transfer their apps to App World or will we have access to Android Market?
    03-24-11 05:12 PM
128 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD