Hello all

I wonder if our beloved PB could act similar to Nintendos (future) wii U tab controller? So PB would act as controller and complementary game info/action, while it renders the game in hdmi port for visualisation (on hd tv).

Similar to:
    05-14-12 06:54 PM
    It'd say it's more likely that it would be implemented with the phones functioning as the WiiU tab controllers.
    05-14-12 06:59 PM
    It'd say it's more likely that it would be implemented with the phones functioning as the WiiU tab controllers.
    If I understood correctly, use BB10 as the controller with PB. That would also be interesting.

Back to the OP and I have special interested from developers insight, would such set up be technically possible?

Perhaps no one finds such solution interesting, if it is the case, why you think if is a 'fail'?

Thank to all!
    05-15-12 06:51 AM
    I think it's called "Presentation Mode". Playbook already has that functionality on the Videos app (try it with the HDMI plugged in, and click the icon on the top right while the video is playing). They may want to extend that on the Youtube app (e.g. playbook UI has comments, related videos, and playback controls, while the TV screen has the actual video playing) and other apps that make sense having a separate UI.
    Last edited by peter_betos; 05-15-12 at 09:46 AM.
    05-15-12 07:44 AM
    "Presentation Mode" on a game in a tablet profile:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s0Aw0QwjTs[/YT]

Request "Real Racing" developers to do this on the Playbook.
    Last edited by peter_betos; 05-15-12 at 07:52 AM.
    05-15-12 07:49 AM
    why would anyone want to use the ipad as a steering wheel on a big TV ? just buy a playstation 3 or Xbox 360 its cheaper and does it 100x better.

The input lag is enough to make me sigh
    05-15-12 08:10 AM
    why would anyone want to use the ipad as a steering wheel on a big TV ? just buy a playstation 3 or Xbox 360 its cheaper and does it 100x better.

The input lag is enough to make me sigh
    ...which makes the Playbook fit to do the job. The tablet profile is small enough for steering and direct connection to HDMI is less lag.
    05-15-12 08:33 AM
    Thanks for input... So, it seems that we could have such functionality on our PB.

I also think that PB would fit better as a steering wheel. So, it is being developed to certain extend for apple.

--

Did not cross my mind 'racing' games and using it as a steering wheel, but rather RPG type of game, Conquest&Conquer, etc (in such games lag would not be such a issue).

So games in which it would be helpful to have a touch input/display screen for control and tv for rendering. Perhaps some good ideas from DS or 3DS...

Developers feedback...plz
    05-15-12 09:31 AM
    A RIM and Nintendo licensing deal would be sweet for both platforms Imo. A modded QNX OS designed for the new controllers. With access to not only a native Nintendo store but BB10 apps as well. And via wifi/bridge/hdmi extend your BB10 phone as an extra controller! Imagine the day where we can all just tap in and play no matter the "system". Wii's concept is interesting but hardly new, does anyone agree?

With Sony Ericsons Xperia Play (which is a full touch screen android on a modded Gingerbread 2.3.xx, waiting on its ICS update) the phone slides up and shows minimal playstation like controller with back bumpers and all *much like the new control-ablet from Wii U* when you slide the phone into gaming mode the phone launches a specialized section of the Playstore with apps optimized for the hardware buttons of the device.

It would really be interesting to see a RIM/Nintendo could op but .... Let's be real
    05-15-12 10:19 AM
    Getting a bit off topic... Nintendo has stated the biggest menace to their handheld system (3ds), is not PS Vita... but rather iPad.

Most probably, in the future Nintendo will drop HW and dedicate to sw development (similar what Sega has done). But that will be a sad day for me, respect their innovations.

but, would love to have Mario on PB / BB10

---

so many opportunities for BB PB... hopefully, pressure is not too high so RIM can focus and steer the boat!
    05-15-12 05:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD