Settings for controlling what background apps do on the PlayBook.

03-04-11 04:16 PM
    "All singing, all dancing". LOL, I like that. GJ RIM.
    03-04-11 04:17 PM
    Saw this a month+ ago. Nice that it allows for some customization.
    03-04-11 04:32 PM
    Lol, so when battery power becomes an issue with multitasking, you can set your PB multitasking to be the same as iOS. Lol
    03-04-11 04:38 PM
    Lol, so when battery power becomes an issue with multitasking, you can set your PB multitasking to be the same as iOS. Lol
    Exactly. But, when your iPad has no battery issues, how do you set your iPad multitasking to be the same as the PB?

It's great to have options!
    03-04-11 04:48 PM
    Exactly. But, when your iPad has no battery issues, how do you set your iPad multitasking to be the same as the PB?

It's great to have options!
    Yea the option to have "real" multitasking is great, but your statement is kinda weird.

"when your iPad has no battery issues". To most, that would be considered a good thing lol. But I know what you mean.
    03-04-11 04:55 PM
    If you were aware of the foundation of QNX neutrino you might not be suggesting that...it is after all an embedded OS meant for embedded devices which the PB is. In it's industrial use it has been used in mission critical industrial applications which are much more labour intensive then any commercial product could be....noting that they have been married to adobe for quite sometime now pre RIM acquisition. one should also note that one of it's premier features is POWER MANAGEMENT!!!!!!

It is used in the Mars rover afterall... A multi-billion dollar venture that runs on a battery! It realies on a battery life that holds they weight of a multi-billion dollar venture....should we be worrying about battery life? You be the judge?

Comparing ios to qnx on battery life in a benchmark...is comparing a toy to an industrial machine...that is specialized in resource management...battery life being at the heart of it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 04:59 PM
    Or to put it another way, the worst multitasking on the playbook matches that of ios and does so with a drastically more intuitive method of switching between apps unlike the everso clunky stuff that apple tacked on in the last update.
    gregorylkelly and sf49ers like this.
    03-04-11 06:40 PM
    If you were aware of the foundation of QNX neutrino you might not be suggesting that...it is after all an embedded OS meant for embedded devices which the PB is. In it's industrial use it has been used in mission critical industrial applications which are much more labour intensive then any commercial product could be....noting that they have been married to adobe for quite sometime now pre RIM acquisition. one should also note that one of it's premier features is POWER MANAGEMENT!!!!!!

It is used in the Mars rover afterall... A multi-billion dollar venture that runs on a battery! It realies on a battery life that holds they weight of a multi-billion dollar venture....should we be worrying about battery life? You be the judge?

Comparing ios to qnx on battery life in a benchmark...is comparing a toy to an industrial machine...that is specialized in resource management...battery life being at the heart of it!

Blah blah blah blah blah. How many RIM employees does it take to surf CB to defuse situations? You guys should concentrate more on putting stuff out to market. You've been screwing around with the PB for months now after a much needed public announcement.

The PB will be nice for a tablet, but only for a short time. The excitement will die down and then people will be back to wanting more from the BB itself instead of dealing with the PB crutch solution. You are late to market with your super duper dual-core proc tablet and you will be late to market with your dual core superphones as well. There is an inherent problem somewhere at your core design teams. Hordes of BBOS releases in several generations of code have shown slow performance in early stage code (.1xx-.2xx revisions). The same can again be said for OS6.1 and the same can be said for what we saw in the past with the QNX based OS on the PB. I'm not saying you won't be able to streamline it to get the job done, I'm saying that if you know the hardware level dead-cold, you code for it properly and don't play the guessing game with it. You're RIM (the manufacturer of the devices), you're not XDA cooking up a makeshift Android OS build to hack on a phone it wasn't built for and you're not CB piecing together files from various OS builds making hybrids to try and solve issues the best you can. Stop messing around and knock it out already. It shouldn't be a guessing game after all these years.
    03-04-11 10:04 PM
    They let you mod here JRSCCivic98 LOL
    03-04-11 10:14 PM
    I'm not sure why, but that really made me laugh
    03-04-11 10:35 PM
    That's how crazy CB is! =)
    03-04-11 10:36 PM
    It's still somewhat a free world of press and speech. I'm fairly open with my opinions on tech from various companies, but I find it quite interesting how no one wants to hear the truth about something. Being here is like being at an intervention. Lol

In the end, the process is a simple one. Impress me with something and you'll get a thumbs up from me. Keep doing the same stuff year after year and I'll make it pretty obvious when sharing my negative viewpoint on the stuff you're feeding everyone.
    03-04-11 10:54 PM
    I actually agreed with you for the most part. I just found it funny a mod would lay the smack down like that
    03-04-11 11:04 PM
    Blah blah blah blah blah. How many RIM employees does it take to surf CB to defuse situations? You guys should concentrate more on putting stuff out to market. You've been screwing around with the PB for months now after a much needed public announcement.

The PB will be nice for a tablet, but only for a short time. The excitement will die down and then people will be back to wanting more from the BB itself instead of dealing with the PB crutch solution. You are late to market with your super duper dual-core proc tablet and you will be late to market with your dual core superphones as well. There is an inherent problem somewhere at your core design teams. Hordes of BBOS releases in several generations of code have shown slow performance in early stage code (.1xx-.2xx revisions). The same can again be said for OS6.1 and the same can be said for what we saw in the past with the QNX based OS on the PB. I'm not saying you won't be able to streamline it to get the job done, I'm saying that if you know the hardware level dead-cold, you code for it properly and don't play the guessing game with it. You're RIM (the manufacturer of the devices), you're not XDA cooking up a makeshift Android OS build to hack on a phone it wasn't built for and you're not CB piecing together files from various OS builds making hybrids to try and solve issues the best you can. Stop messing around and knock it out already. It shouldn't be a guessing game after all these years.
    What? PB crutch solution? What does that mean?

With all due respect, while you have the right to criticize, unless you have experience running a project with the dimensions similar to creating a new consumer electronic device such as the Playbook, I don't think you are in the position to actually tell them how it should be done. It's not as simple as just coding the s*** out of the hardware to have the best running software. They deal with timelines, cost, human resources, media, competition, etc. They need to juggle and balance all these often conflicting aspects of a business.

Yes, RIM's track record has been poor lately but I bet they are working hard and are preparing for the latter part of the game -- we are only in the 3rd inning.
    gregorylkelly likes this.
    03-04-11 11:32 PM
    Or perhaps when you want videos to stop when you go to another app?
    03-04-11 11:38 PM
    Stop messing around and knock it out already. It shouldn't be a guessing game after all these years.
    Why even bother saying this when clearly all you want is the PB to fail so you can ***** even more.

The QNX OS has NOTHING to do with BB06, 5.0, 4.7, etc.... It was created by a completely different company and has absolutely nothing in common with the legacy BlackBerry OS.

No offense, but I'm hoping this was your worst and most useless post of your 14,093 posts on these forums.
    03-04-11 11:50 PM
    It's still somewhat a free world of press and speech. I'm fairly open with my opinions on tech from various companies, but I find it quite interesting how no one wants to hear the truth about something. Being here is like being at an intervention. Lol
    lol nice switcheroo there. go from the "just my opinion" to "everyone else is in denial about the truth that i know" in same sentence. clever clever.
    gregorylkelly and Machzy like this.
    03-04-11 11:52 PM
    Or perhaps when you want videos to stop when you go to another app?
    that's what i'll use it for. i'll turn it off and on according to my needs (atleast we'll have that option!)
    03-05-11 12:13 AM
    That's a setting ios wish it had. Lol

03-05-11 05:15 AM

I'm not a RIM employee....I'm a carpenter! Just oddly a little too familiar with computer sciences! And I used to have a girlfriend that lived in K-W....hence my name....it's a nice city with good people! Anyway I'm gonna hook up with a coffee( tim hortons) ....and this officialy on gf! Bring it on! Toodles for now

03-05-11 06:59 PM

In the end, the process is a simple one. Impress me with something and you'll get a thumbs up from me. Keep doing the same stuff year after year and I'll make it pretty obvious when sharing my negative viewpoint on the stuff you're feeding everyone.
    There's a fine line between sharing your opinion, however strong it may be....and just enjoying to hear ones self talk

03-05-11 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD