now that the Playbook is nearing its *real* launch date (thanks 2.0...finally) and other big name games are slowly being ported over (yey no more 2nd hand copy cats), I was wondering if there was any news on any decent news feed (rss) reader in the works?

what RSS reader do you use?

I've tried the top recommended ones, both paid (webreader, geereader, newspile, etc) and free, and they are all laggy and uninspiring. With the newer dev tools available has no one decided to revisit the news feeder area yet? I mean...this is basically a tablet geared for professionals, who in general, I would think are the ones who actually care to read news regularly....

I applaud earlier offerings, but adobe air apps just ain't worth spending on, I don't know if the lack of skills of the developer (i highly doubt that) but air apps just produce horrible lag animations, even on powerhouse tablet specs that the playbook has, especially considering the ipad 1 runs something called reeder, which is hands down the BEST RSS reader ever. (I gave up my ipad because I wanted a more mobile experience, but the touch was still a tad too small to enjoy watching full length movies on, which the playbook is perfect for imo).

I'm not asking for much (flipboard would be in that "too much" range at this point) but something that's created with native tools, and has zero (0) lag, simple smooth animation, and a decent UI that doesn't make people cringe and laugh behind your back for purchasing a playbook, lol.

If anyone has any suggestions please post them here....thanks.
    01-12-12 09:21 PM
    agree its slim pickings at the moment. Try feed wheel, its the best ive trialed.
    01-13-12 12:52 AM
    Do you not like the news app from RIM? too simple for you?.. I use it everyday and love it! I don't find it the most amazing visually but its not leggy at all and always works great.
    Last edited by shn; 01-13-12 at 12:56 AM.
    01-13-12 12:52 AM
    Do you not like the news app from RIM? too simple for you?.. I use it everyday and love it! I don't find it the most amazing visually but its not leggy at all and always works great.
    is this a playbook app?
    01-13-12 01:22 AM
    Actually I used to use that as my primary RSS reader. While it seems like it takes forever to update, it does a rather good job at actually pulling RSS feeds. Plus, it doesn't feel like an air app (if it is it's the best one yet) because all the transitions are smooth. Problem is, after I had to wipe everything clean it's such a pain to find a working US proxy so that I can get access to the app again, otherwise it's not available in my region.

on my 9900 it's my preferred RSS reader. I'm not too excited about the android apps getting ported over, I would rather it be completely recoded using native dev tools, that or just make a new RSS reader.

A few months ago there was the demo for the backend transition tools available to devs those would be awesome transition effects for something like an RSS reader. (i think it's the same transistion effects used for the scrapbook app and the pictures app)
    01-13-12 01:24 AM
    Hi,

I was also looking for a good RSS Reader for my PlayBook, and found that WebReader was the one that suits my needs...

Read my review and watch my video here; WebReader for BlackBerry PlayBook � SUPER RSS Reader - PlayBook, BlackBerry, Tech | Begnor.com

Hope you like it!
    01-18-12 04:13 PM
    I usually use news catcher, its a clone of android's pulse, but unfortunately it stop working and now, i must use, rssdemon
    01-18-12 04:31 PM
    I personally use newspile, but I think the original poster has mentioned that he has tried and dislikes it. Its simplistic, but has a very clean UI thats easy to navigate. It stores content (minus pictures) so its very easy to use on the go with a bridged blackberry. My most used app, but i guess its not for everyone.
    01-18-12 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD