anyone use one they like that ideally they can use a stylus with? Best would be to save to .pdf files.... Anyone?
    05-31-11 07:42 PM
    anyone use one they like that ideally they can use a stylus with? Best would be to save to .pdf files.... Anyone?
    Nothing exists yet and it won't.

All signs point to needing a special screen (which the PB doesn't have) if one wants to use a stylus to write. You can use the big capacitive pens, but those are hardly accurate for writing and require too much pressure.
    05-31-11 08:38 PM

All signs point to needing a special screen (which the PB doesn't have) if one wants to use a stylus to write. You can use the big capacitive pens, but those are hardly accurate for writing and require too much pressure.
    Friends who have iPads really like Penultimate. I would like something like that for the PlayBook.
    05-31-11 10:16 PM
    Check out Skit. It's the best the playbook has to offer right now. I'm hoping they continue improving upon it.
    05-31-11 10:38 PM
    Guys post a comments in this evernote forum so we can get penultimate soon in playbook...
    Note Taking apps For Blackberry Playbook - Penultimate - Evernote User Forum
    10-14-12 11:05 AM
    Guys post a comments in this evernote forum so we can get penultimate soon in playbook...
    Note Taking apps For Blackberry Playbook - Penultimate - Evernote User Forum
    We will be wishing for this type of application until we are grey and dead. It seems next to impossible to convince developers to bring these applications to our much maligned BlackBerry PlayBook. And Research In Motion should be approaching these developers with offers of assistance in bringing native versions of these applications to their own tablet. Penultimate looks like a fantastic application.
    10-14-12 11:26 AM
    With no active digitizer the PlayBook will never properly support note-taking apps.
    10-14-12 04:04 PM
    Antair notes is a decent note taking app maybe try that.
    10-14-12 05:18 PM
    From an earlier post. Please note that you can likely find the app on goodereader.com under the playbook apps.

" Two things that have worked well for me
    Freenote - Android app that needs conversion - this app is made for hand written notes. The nice feature is that as you write it then shrinks your writing down to small scale when you stop. This is nice because without that you need a full page on the PB just to make a few sentence note.

Touch Painter - this is a native PB app and there is a free and paid version. This has great tools, brushes, boxes, ovals, colors etc. I like to use it for hand notes by zooming in and writing your notes and then zoom, out and your text will be much smaller so you can fit a fair amount of hand notes on a page. Take a bit more effort than Freenote but native is nice."
    10-14-12 05:23 PM
    Antair notes is a decent note taking app maybe try that.
    Just bought it.. Oops. I'd rather use BB Bridge MemoPad.
    10-14-12 05:42 PM
    With no active digitizer the PlayBook will never properly support note-taking apps.
    What do you mean by 'active digitizer'?
    GroovyNotes for instance allows you to take photos, add images, record sounds or create sketches attached to a given note: is it this you are wishing?
    H.
    10-15-12 04:31 AM
    @Herve, he means taking notes with a stylus. Like written notes.
    10-15-12 08:56 AM

Completely disagree with this post. For stylus, look into the DAGI Stylus online...there are multiple models and they are awesome for writing on the playbook.
    I do agree that using one of those crappy type stylus with the rounded ball edge is useless.

For software, there are many alternatives-- I use several.

-Mobilenoter SE has ink feature and sync's with Onenote-- it's a bit pricey.
    -There are ample android versions of software that can be side-loaded. My favorite is Genial Writing.

I think what you will find is that the stylus is the first issue to solve....then it is a matter of finding the right software for your needs--but as other posters have said check out goodereader.

Currently, I use genial writing 2 (pro version with paid license) to create notes in handwritten form. This software allows me to share/transfer handwriting in jpeg image version. Can either email the image/handwriting or I share it directly into Mobilenoter as a new note and then it automatically syncs to my desktop.

Also, this thread started a year and a half ago....a lot has changed since....none of the above could be done in 2011...
    Last edited by jeffreytoronto; 10-15-12 at 10:09 AM.
    10-15-12 09:25 AM
    Completely disagree with this post. For stylus, look into the DAGI Stylus online...there are multiple models and they are awesome for writing on the playbook.
    I do agree that using one of those crappy type stylus with the rounded ball edge is useless.
    So the Dagi stylus puts the PlayBook on par with this?:

10-15-12 01:55 PM
    id say its pretty close. I like genial writing because you can write in large motions on the screen and then it automatically shrinks it down.

see this on youtube....

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-15-12 08:43 PM
    @Herve, [on 'active digitizer'] he means taking notes with a stylus. Like written notes.
    I understand. I didn't catch because to me, handwritten notes are not searchable (unless there also is serious text recognition, which I don't see coming on tablets before a couple of years). And not-searchable notes are just not serious.*
    Other than that, I believe a range of native note-takers offer a 'sketch mode' in which people can input some written text. But given the PB size, and even with a pointy stylus, all one can do is inputting some lines at a time, unless you use the wise trick in Android's Genial Writing.
    Really, for me I stay with the keyboard input. And I do daily meetings. If really I wanted to improve right now, I'd add a folding bluetooth keyboard, but honestly the burden of transporting it almost balances the (clear) advantage of faster typing--which means IMHO that I already do well enough with the screen keyboard.

(*) I'd even say, I need a searchable notes tool that scales, i. e. that'll still be responsive with 1000+ notes in a year or two.
    10-16-12 07:33 AM
    I can't stand on-screen keyboards, so I'd really prefer to not use that for writing input. I'm not too worried about text searchability either, but a handwriting recognition feature wouldn't be too hard. Heck, my old Dell PDA with Windows Mobile 6 or something did handwriting recognition.

Heck, it's not always about handwriting - being able to sketch something, a simple map, maths, diagram, etc... is all useful and having a nice accurate pen capture would really help.

And that stylus with the big flat plastic tip... eyah.. no thanks.

HTC Flyer:

BlackBerry PlayBook:
    10-16-12 06:22 PM
    Bookmark!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-16-12 06:45 PM
    20? Neva!!

BTW:

Yesterday i tried a Note 10.1's pen on the PB... Needless to say that it didnt work.

Can anyone explain me why? Is it amoled related or something like that? arent both screens capacitives?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-18-12 06:41 AM
    It's not the AMOLED, but it's a special screen overlay that works with the electronic pen.

One thing to remember is that they need a way to differentiate between the pen and your hand - if you're writing with any of the "pens" available for the PlayBook you can't rest your hand on the screen (or even brush against it). The active digitizer screens/pens can ignore your hand while responding to the pen.

Hence why we'll never see proper handwriting input on the PlayBook.
    10-18-12 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD