So I really enjoy using my Playbook to watch movies but I am having some technical difficulties and have read about the different options around that but still no matter I am running into problems.

Regular: So I just installed movies directly onto my playbook, the files are around 1.30 GB each and I just have all the transformers, should I shrink them and does anyone know a good converter so I can do so?

Orb: I installed orb and I am running it thru the desktop browser with home theatre but no matter what I just cant get it to really stream anything. Are there some settings that should be used like speed wise or something cause I have it on my laptop running but just cant get it to stream.

Box.net: So I got the special deal on box.net for 50 GB of storage and I'm using it for school and another for just recreation, I have seen that people store movies on here but I just try and upload a simple 4 min movie and I get this message saying its over 2GB and I need to upgrade. What kind of files can I upload on box.net to view over thru to my playbook?

Any assistance is appreciated cause I love the other features of my Playbook but this movie thing is really sucking lol
    11-01-11 07:39 PM
    Handbrake is the program i used i have source code on my PB
    11-01-11 08:28 PM
    Never had any problems with movies on my pb, largest is about 1.1gb, can't see too much changing with 1.3gb. Not sure what that could be.

Streaming-wise you should try SubSonic and the SonicAir app.Here's a link to the thread.

It works great for streaming video for me, and the music player is great. I have an issue with it not playing some of my audio files, but the developer's been more than helpful (very active in that thread) and he'll hopefully be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong soon. Even with that one small problem the app is great, I'd defianetly suggest trying it and SubSonic.
    11-01-11 08:30 PM
    Some of your questions might be better asked in the general pb forum rather than the app forum.

From what I've read Box requires a premium or upgraded account to store LARGER items in their system. Not sure of the requirements.

If you have the space, storing larger videos is not really an issue and the quality would remain high. Folks are all over the boards when it comes to either ripping dvd's or shrinking them - all kinds of software from free to paid.
    11-01-11 08:33 PM
    For ORB you need to set it to use Flash, then it'll play on your PB browser. There was a detailed CB article a while back with a guide.
    11-02-11 03:09 AM
    So I really enjoy using my Playbook to watch movies but I am having some technical difficulties and have read about the different options around that but still no matter I am running into problems.

Regular: So I just installed movies directly onto my playbook, the files are around 1.30 GB each and I just have all the transformers, should I shrink them and does anyone know a good converter so I can do so?

Orb: I installed orb and I am running it thru the desktop browser with home theatre but no matter what I just cant get it to really stream anything. Are there some settings that should be used like speed wise or something cause I have it on my laptop running but just cant get it to stream.

Box.net: So I got the special deal on box.net for 50 GB of storage and I'm using it for school and another for just recreation, I have seen that people store movies on here but I just try and upload a simple 4 min movie and I get this message saying its over 2GB and I need to upgrade. What kind of files can I upload on box.net to view over thru to my playbook?

Any assistance is appreciated cause I love the other features of my Playbook but this movie thing is really sucking lol
    You could always try SonicAir + Subsonic or Subsonic alone (I love subsonic ) - its free for first 30 days and then Subsonic costs 10 Euro but its so worth it, with the custom encoding commands I can normally watch a movie at 396KBPS that looks DVD quality even when connected to my TV over HDMI via Bridge/Tether (i.e. no WiFi).

I REPEAT you do NOT need SonicAir but clearly as the author it would be awesome if you bought it heh. At the very least try Subsonic free for 30 days via the browser and make up your mind.
    11-02-11 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD