09-06-11 06:33 PM
59 123
tools
    I have just bought a playbook and am getting used to it but am a little frustrated by lack of apps. I emailed Amazon to find out when we may expect a kindle app and received a response as follows (in part):

I'm sorry but at this time, the BlackBerry Playbook is not supported for Kindle applications or Kindle content. We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience. I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in having a Kindle for Blackberry Playbook application.

So we need people to let them know that there are lots of people who want the app.

Thanks for your support.
    04-21-11 08:24 PM
    that reply does NOT indicate they aren't already working on it. My money is on Amazon coming out with the Kindle app before we grow old and die.
    04-21-11 08:30 PM
    that reply does NOT indicate they aren't already working on it. My money is on Amazon coming out with the Kindle app before we grow old and die.
    Here's an article dated September 27th.
    Amazon Wastes No Time Announcing Kindle Support For The BlackBerry PlayBook
    04-21-11 09:05 PM
    check out this article. it mentions kindle for android and the PB. PlayBook needs Cisco, Amazon to stand a chance vs. Apple, Android | ZDNet
    04-22-11 12:31 AM
    Dunno if this means anything but it was about a month after the torch came out before they updated their kindle app to support it.
    04-22-11 02:36 AM
    Amazon support did verify that they are working on a Kindle app for PB as follows:

"Hello,

I've reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and I'm very sorry about the incorrect information you received.

I checked and verified that we had announced that we'll be launching a Kindle application for BlackBerry Playbook, but we still haven’t released the application or announced any release date for this.

Currently, we don’t have information about the release date but once the release date of the application is decided we'll post that on our website. Please check our website from time to time for the update about this new application.

We look forward to seeing you again soon."

(The incorrect info referred to was the first response by another csr who stated incorrectly they had not made any announcement re Kindle app)
    Valzic, lcooksey, Siiid and 1 others like this.
    04-22-11 05:23 AM
    I received basically the same e-mail. I'm going to send a new message to Amazon every day until we get a concrete launch date - I want so much to like the Playbook and I don't have a ton of demands, but a Kindle app is definitely one of them.
    04-27-11 08:48 AM
    Yep, I sent and received basically the same messages. They are definitely working on it, but I guess a not-so-gentle nudge can only speed them up!
    04-27-11 08:57 AM
    My e-mail/gentle nudge has been sent to Amazon.
    04-27-11 09:01 AM
    Moved to PB Apps
    04-27-11 09:21 AM
    Email to Kindle customer service sent. This app can't come fast enough! No matter what I try, I can't get Kobo to download books!
    04-27-11 09:35 AM
    I've emailed them like three times by now from different email addresses. Sure, it may be a cheap way to make it seem like there's more demand but if it gets the app to me sooner, I don't care.
    04-27-11 10:44 AM
    I believe we are still waiting for the NativeSDK, so that's why the app selection has been **** poor. The NativeSDK will give devs the ability to produce super apps (ones that talk to each other). Should be coming soon.

RIM should have really treated the WiFi release as almost a "pre release" then when ever some bad press came their way they could have easily deflected it.
    04-27-11 11:18 AM
    Here was the response from Amazon Kindle CS Department:

--------------------
    Hello,

I understand you would like to know if there are any plans to release an app for the Blackberry Playbook and if so, when is the release date, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Yes, there are plans to release an app for the Blackberry playbook but the release date has yet not been finalized.

I would suggest you to check our website regularly as we are planning to release it very shortly.

I hope this helps. Thanks for using Kindle.
    ---------------------

My PlayBook should arrive any day now!
    05-02-11 07:39 AM
    Wrote to Amazon re: the Kindle App for PB. Received a reply saying the the PlayBook was found not to be compatible with the Kindle and there is no development underway.

Hello,

I'm sorry, we found that the Kindle for BlackBerry application isn't compatible with the BlackBerry PlayBook. It is not being developed.

The Kindle for BlackBerry application is available for the following devices:

— 9630 (Tour)
    — 9000 (Bold)
    — 9700 (Bold)
    — 9800 (Torch)
    — 8900 (Curve), 8520 (Curve),
    — 9500/9530 (Storm), 9550 (Storm 2)

You can find more information about Kindle for BlackBerry here:

http://www.amazon.com/kindleforbb?m1...bUvbUpU6292685

I have passed your message on to the appropriate department in our company for consideration. Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the selection and service we provide.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback with us. It's important for us to hear how customers feel about all aspects of shopping at Amazon.com, so we can continue to improve our store and the service we provide.

The Kindle Team will carefully review your comments.

Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
    [link removed]

If no, please click here:
    [link removed]

Best regards,

Pugazhenthi R.
    Amazon.com
    Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
    [link removed]
    Might be an automated response - might not know what he is talking about. Nevertheless, it is not a good sign.
    jessebo8247 likes this.
    05-02-11 05:20 PM
    Of the 12-14 things I wanted to do with a PB, all but 2 are waiting on apps to be developed. Kindle was one of them. I hope this isn't a pattern. Perhaps once we have the ability to run Android apps Amazon might port that version over for us.
    05-02-11 05:41 PM
    i actually like kobo, the more i use it. i use it alot i bought 4 books on it and im happy with it while amazon doddles around getting a kindle app out. im still gunna get the kindle app though.
    05-02-11 06:02 PM
    rbenjamin, this is not good news at all and is the opposite of what I was told. My Playbook just arrived in the mail today and the only thing holding me up is the Kindle Playbook app - I want to get rid of my Kindle DX!
    05-02-11 06:30 PM
    I have sent my email, we gotta stay on them, I want that app before next week LOL
    06-20-11 09:48 PM
    I wonder if some of the issues they maybe facing with apple and their terms maybe also affecting the blackberry app since blackberry seems to have some of the same rules as apple. Going to be interesting to see what happens Jun 30 with kindle & apple.
    06-21-11 10:36 AM
    i wrote and got a "stay tuned" response, which is better than what i was told about the prospects for being able to add notes or highlights in the BB phone app.
    06-21-11 11:45 AM
    You would think they would have done this by now. Looks like RIM is the last tablet to get done
    06-28-11 09:34 AM
    You would think they would have done this by now. Looks like RIM is the last tablet to get done
    It sucks because the playbook size is optimal for reading.
    06-28-11 10:00 AM
    Has anyone considered using the website Planet Feedback to send correspondence to companies such as Kindle, Netflix, etc who we'd like to see Playbook apps from?
    07-20-11 09:21 AM
    Has anyone considered using the website Planet Feedback to send correspondence to companies such as Kindle, Netflix, etc who we'd like to see Playbook apps from?
    That's not a bad idea, Planet Feedback is known for getting results!
    07-20-11 10:26 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD