Would it get better results than people e-mailing and calling Amazon directly? Because that doesn't seem to be getting anywhere fast.
    07-20-11 10:28 AM
    I've used Planet Feedback before with good results. I posted this as a complaint to Amazon today. I doubt anything will happen, but I thought I'd take a shot.

Amazon needs to live up to it's promises: Kindle app for BlackBerry Playbook Posted Fri July 22, 2011 4:30 pm,

In September 2010, Amazon announced that they were developing a Kindle reading app for the BlackBerry Playbook. This would be similar to the Kindle apps developped for many other platforms since. Since I was planning to get a Playbook, it made sense for me to start by buying a Kindle and build a Kindle library between then and the Playbook release date in April 2011.
    When no Kindle app for Playbook was released in April 2011, I emailed Amazon support and was told that a Kindle app for Playbook would be released in May. Now it is 3 months later, and there is still nothing, except I have a Kindle but cannot use my Playbook to access content as I was promised.

Amazon should give a firm date when the Kindle app for BlackBerry Playbook will be released, or if they have changed their plans, announce that so I can take the loss on my Kindle and start building a Kobo library.
    07-22-11 03:42 PM
    For those of you still waiting for the Kindle App if you load the leaked android app player you can install the Kindle App for Android and it works really well.
    07-22-11 03:46 PM
    I agree that the KIndle app will be available through the Android player, but w shouldn't have to use a workaround. Especially when a WebOS player just got released after one week.
    07-22-11 03:53 PM
    I'd love to use the Android player right now to access the Kindle app. However, Im not very technological, have no idea how to install it, don't understand half of the abbreviations people talk about in the forums, and knowing my luck I would probably break the PB in the process!!

Someone should create a "so you want to install the Android player but are stupid and a girl" instruction guide!!
    Last edited by pixieloulou; 07-22-11 at 04:03 PM.
    Stevildo likes this.
    07-22-11 04:00 PM
    I'd love to use the Android player right now to access the Kindle app. However, Im not very technological, have no idea how to install it, don't understand half of the abbreviations people talk about in the forums, and knowing my luck I would probably break the PB in the process!!

Someone should create a "so you want to install the Android player but are stupid and a girl" instruction guide!!
    Just follow the steps here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-631759/

Just post if you have any issues or pm me and i can help you through it if you have bbm i'll send you my pin and i'll help u get it setup its fairly straight forward though.
    07-22-11 06:48 PM
    Here's my view: Screw Amazon, screw Kindle. There's a very decent native Kobo app, and some decent Epub apps, and that's enough for me. There are more books on Kobo alone than I can ever read. If Amazon doesn't want our business enough to produce a NATIVE Playbook app, we don't need them.

If we settle for Android apps running on an emulation within the Playbook, we'll never get native apps that use the full capabilities of the Playbook.
    07-22-11 07:12 PM
    Def agree with DaveTheA, hopefully they will release a native kindle app, don't like going through an app to open another app, I can only assume that has to play a toll on the battery, but for those people that have purchases on kindle and want to use them atleast there is a way for them to access those books as well now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 08:04 PM
    I've never used Kindle or Nook, but I've been enjoying Kobo. I'm a big reader (nerd), and usually read "real" books, but I've been experimenting with Kobo and enjoying it. There are some books that Kobo does not have, but have have plenty.
    07-22-11 09:09 PM
    If Amazon doesn't want our business enough to produce a NATIVE Playbook app, we don't need them.
    Perhaps they can't make a NATIVE Playbook app because RIM hasn't provided them with a NATIVE Software Development Kit?
    07-22-11 11:37 PM
    Perhaps they can't make a NATIVE Playbook app because RIM hasn't provided them with a NATIVE Software Development Kit?
    If this is the case, they should say so. I'll direct your attention to post #3 and #6 in this thread and the attached links. Amazon announced almost 10 months ago that it planned to support the Playbook without any reservations. Well, where the heck is it?

I'm willing to be very understanding about projects that take longer than expected, unexpected technical difficulties and the like. I would even be understanding if they said they hadn't yet been supplied with the necessary programming resources by RIM [tho' I'd be complaining bitterly to RIM]. But I don't understand being kept in the dark for nearly a year. Something I have _never_ understood is the silence corporations keep when their customers are pleading for information.

Meanwhile I have a list of books that I'll download for Kobo. I buy lots of books and right now I'm enjoying A Dance With Dragons. Next I'll download the new Pat Benatar autobiography. But not from Amazon.
    07-23-11 02:02 AM
    I agree that the KIndle app will be available through the Android player, but w shouldn't have to use a workaround. Especially when a WebOS player just got released after one week.
    Not wanting to defend amazon as their delay with the playbook is getting ridiculous, but isn't the webos version just the one from the previous phones?
    07-23-11 06:08 AM
    If this is the case, they should say so.
    Something I have _never_ understood is the silence corporations keep when their customers are pleading for information.

Meanwhile I have a list of books that I'll download for Kobo. I buy lots of books and right now I'm enjoying A Dance With Dragons. Next I'll download the new Pat Benatar autobiography. But not from Amazon.
    Can't disagree with that, they should say so. And perhaps they do, in fact, have the same dev kit EA had. Just saying, RIM may not be doing all they can to get the cooperation.
    07-23-11 11:55 AM
    https://read.amazon.com/

a new html5 app

apple pushed amazon to develop it and thank god
    08-11-11 10:01 AM
    a new html5 app
    apple pushed amazon to develop it and thank god
    If this is the answer or people here tells that installing android is the answer, you might as well go to amazon or even a book store to buy a book and physically tie it to your playbook and you can read a book.
    08-12-11 09:26 AM
    If this is the answer or people here tells that installing android is the answer, you might as well go to amazon or even a book store to buy a book and physically tie it to your playbook and you can read a book.
    Exactly. I'm not ashamed to say that sideloading the Android player just to run Kindle is TOO COMPLICATED for a casual user with limited free time to tinker with his $500 tablet computer to run a basic app that works on cell phones.

As far as Kobo, I bought a book-Outlook 2007 for Dummies. In place of the illustrations, I get a blue box with a question mark. I need my Kindle.
    08-12-11 07:35 PM
    I think I may have found a loop hole.. Although there is no real App for Kindle on Playbook, today I registered for the Kindle Cloud App right from my PB which allows me to access all my Kindle books online. There is also a feature to "PIN" them for offline viewing (touch and hold the book cover and option will pop up)... YAY!!! Here is the links to info about Cloud Reader as well as the webpage for registering..

http://buykindlesite.com/kindle-cloud-reader.php/

Hope this helps some of you...
    Last edited by SMDodds; 08-16-11 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added clarification
    08-16-11 09:56 AM
    I wrote to kindle-feedback again to try to get some information. What I got was one of those maddeningly evasive answers.

I had two questions. The first was: Will there be an actual Kindle app for the PB, or is the Cloud reader the intended solution? The second question was: Will the Cloud Reader ever allow creation of new highlights and annotations?

The answer to the first question: "At this time, Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook is not yet available, but please stay tuned for further announcements regarding this yet to be released Kindle application. The Kindle Cloud Reader is another addition to our list of Kindle applications."

So, perhaps "yet to be released" and "The Kindle Cloud Reader is another addition" jointly imply that there will be an actual Kindle app for the PB.

Regarding the second question: "You cannot currently create new notes and highlights using Kindle Cloud Reader, but the notes and highlights you create while reading the book on your Kindle or with another Kindle app will be displayed.

At this time, we've made no announcement for the option to create new notes and highlights be made available on the Kindle Cloud Reader but please be assured that we're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience. I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in this feature. We'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements."

That's a definite maybe.
    08-16-11 01:06 PM
    I wrote to kindle-feedback again to try to get some information. What I got was one of those maddeningly evasive answers.
    That's a definite maybe.
    I think it's a MAYBE definitely maybe!

But your efforts go beyond mine - observing only.
    08-16-11 01:19 PM

I had two questions. The first was: Will there be an actual Kindle app for the PB, or is the Cloud reader the intended solution? The second question was: Will the Cloud Reader ever allow creation of new highlights and annotations?

The answer to the first question: "At this time, Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook is not yet available, but please stay tuned for further announcements regarding this yet to be released Kindle application. The Kindle Cloud Reader is another addition to our list of Kindle applications."

So, perhaps "yet to be released" and "The Kindle Cloud Reader is another addition" jointly imply that there will be an actual Kindle app for the PB.

Regarding the second question: "You cannot currently create new notes and highlights using Kindle Cloud Reader, but the notes and highlights you create while reading the book on your Kindle or with another Kindle app will be displayed.

At this time, we've made no announcement for the option to create new notes and highlights be made available on the Kindle Cloud Reader but please be assured that we're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience. I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in this feature. We'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements."

That's a definite maybe.
    Thanks for writing them... to me this is positive news as the Cloud reader solution (in it's current form) is a non starter for travelers.
    08-16-11 03:33 PM
    Thanks for writing them... to me this is positive news as the Cloud reader solution (in it's current form) is a non starter for travelers.
    Not sure what the problem is with the Cloud reader for travelers.

IF it works as expected, (it is not out for the BB browser yet), then we should be able to store book(s) for offline reading. I just tried it on my laptop with the Chrome browser and it let me download a book for offline reading. No, I can't create notes and highlights (yet), but does that make it a non-starter for travelers?

Not this one, but maybe it's just me. Personally I think it is a GREAT idea from Amazon's perspective, and it is exactly what HTML5 was created for. They are a little ahead of the curve, but that is what makes it especially great. Watch for more HTML5 stuff coming in the next couple of years, and fewer installable Apps.
    08-16-11 04:43 PM
    Not sure what the problem is with the Cloud reader for travelers.

IF it works as expected, (it is not out for the BB browser yet), then we should be able to store book(s) for offline reading. I just tried it on my laptop with the Chrome browser and it let me download a book for offline reading. No, I can't create notes and highlights (yet), but does that make it a non-starter for travelers?
    No, what makes it a non starter is that I have to keep the PB on, and the browser open, and have had to connect to active Wifi and remember to connect to read.amazon.com just before I use it "off line"

This limits the cloud reader use on airplanes, non-free-wifi airports, and other areas without wifi.
    08-16-11 07:27 PM
    Well, we are speculating since they have not released anything for the BB browser yet. BUT, I assume it would work like the existing Chrome/Safari browsers. Take a look at this --> Kindle Cloud Reader Review & Rating | PCMag.com

I don't think you would have to keep the PB on, or browser open. But, you would have to pick which books are downloaded to your browser's database before you shutdown / go offline. Who knows, with a big enough database, it might not be any worse than having a real Kindle(?)
    08-16-11 08:14 PM
    I don't think you would have to keep the PB on, or browser open. But, you would have to pick which books are downloaded to your browser's database before you shutdown / go offline. Who knows, with a big enough database, it might not be any worse than having a real Kindle(?)
    I restart my PB then I tried to access book that I have downloaded from the cloud reader without internet connection and haven't succeeded yet. Can anyone enlightened me how to get it from a closed browser (without connecting to the cloud in the first place)? If not then we always have to access cloud database and keep browser on to keep the book. But after that, we don't need internet/ connected to the cloud, ie. reading offline.
    08-16-11 09:32 PM
    Where is the kindle APP for playbook? Is amazon going to release one or is useless the cloud thing there update they have been talking about. Its unbelievable that a multi billion dollar company does not have the resource to create an app for the playbook after an year they said they are going to haveit. Shame on amazon in this front. Too bad kobo sucks when compared to kindle in ios or android.
    08-29-11 06:56 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD